The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Steering play / OEM steering box

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Started to feel it at the track a few days ago.
Checked without wheels and car on stands.
There is play ( ) but inside the rack, not along the column.
Any other member experiencing this?
Any adjustment possible on the rack?
Thx

I have another track day coming Oct 9th.
I will just live with it and see.
If it gets annoying I will have to order one FRPP unit I guess...

Hmmm mine is loose too, but definitely in the column i feel. I have gotten under there and tightened every stinkin bolt i can find, checked, checked and checked, and still play in the wheel. Basically i can turn it maybe 1/2" or so each way before it actually engages and turns. Not detrimental to anything but really annoying nonetheless ( i drive a '13 GT btw, not a Boss). Interested to see if you, or anyone, finds a solution for your issue.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I have the same problem now. I checked the steering rods joints etc but everything seems tight. The only play I found was the Tie rods on both sides. You can grab them and feel them move. Will switch them out and see if the steering feel gets back to normal.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Oh... finally figured out what the hell Bump steer was..... If a car is on P springs will you need a Bump steer kit. Or since mine are worn, I guess its time to get a kit any way....

Mad Hatter said:
Oh... finally figured out what the hell Bump steer was..... If a car is on P springs will you need a Bump steer kit. Or since mine are worn, I guess its time to get a kit any way....

It looks like you may want it, especially since you track the car.

Mad Hatter said:
I have the same problem now. I checked the steering rods joints etc but everything seems tight. The only play I found was the Tie rods on both sides. You can grab them and feel them move. Will switch them out and see if the steering feel gets back to normal.

So has anyone got to the bottom of this or does the rack just tend to wear out with tracking and riding the curbs?

is the Ford Racing rack also disposable?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
There are inner tie rods on the rack too guys, they could be worn, have to remove the outer tie rods and the boots to replace, will need a CV boot clamp crimping tool to resecure the new boot clamps. Unless you have made hard contact I don't think the rack and pinion would wear badly to cause excess play.
Steve

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I can actually feel the play in the outer tie rod. will check the inner when adding the bump steer kit. Bought the MM tool for Bump steer as well. Not to many dedicated race shops down here.

Bringing this back up. I have a very small amount of play in my left tie rod when I grab it and pull up and down. I have not noticed any loose steering. Did anyone ever figure out if this is normal or not?

I have not called Phoenix. I thought I would inquire here first.

2012-Boss said:
Bringing this back up. I have a very small amount of play in my left tie rod when I grab it and pull up and down. I have not noticed any loose steering. Did anyone ever figure out if this is normal or not?

I have not called Phoenix. I thought I would inquire here first.

I have a small amount of fore/aft play on my right front wheel. Ruled out the bearing (no vertical play) and checked Howe joint, LCA bushing and outer tie rod torques -- all good. Talked to my local race shop and they confirmed that play on the 302S/R Steering rack inner tie rod joints is a common issue. Plan on changing it out...

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Are there known failures or just slightly loose? I have it as well (almost feels like a click during some turn transitions) and it doesn't really bother me much, although I'd like to have it fixed. Unfortunately, I can hardly replicate it on the street because it takes some significant cornering load, so I'm not sure I could get my dealership to cover under warranty...

I've got 3 more years of powertrain warranty, and I'd like to use it....

I will simply replace the inner tie rod. The Ford kit is less than $50 and it is not a hard job. I am not sure if the tie rods are covered under the power train warranty.

Thanks

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
2012-Boss said:
I am not sure if the tie rods are covered under the power train warranty.

Thanks

Should be covered under the longer, bumper-to-bumper warranty in that case.

TMO Supporting Vendors