The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Steering rack "clicking" at track occasionally

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
I started getting a bit of a "click" that could be felt thru the steering wheel as I transition from left to right or right to left... it has been getting more pronounced after the outing today which had LOTS of transitions.

Thoughts?

I'm under warranty for another 2 years, but it's tough to replicate on the street, so I'm wondering if there might be a simple adjustment I could make if someone has gone through this before?

Thanks guys

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Flyboygsxr said:
Maybe wheel bearings? Something in the suspension? Get the car up in the air and try to put lateral pressure on the wheel. I would start there

Yeah, I'll be messing with it this weekend...

DMichaels said:
I started getting a bit of a "click" that could be felt thru the steering wheel as I transition from left to right or right to left... it has been getting more pronounced after the outing today which had LOTS of transitions.

Thoughts?

I'm under warranty for another 2 years, but it's tough to replicate on the street, so I'm wondering if there might be a simple adjustment I could make if someone has gone through this before?

Thanks guys

I have the same noise occasionally. I've figured out it's the rubber "accordion" boots covering the tie rods that rub against the undercarriage and "click" as the tie rods move side to side with steering input. It's probably worse with a lowered car giving less clearance between chassis and tie rods.

I had a similar noise/feel on mine after doing the header install. It turned out the the steering shaft at the rack (the bolt was tightened to spec and red loctited as per installation instructions) had loosened just a bit. It took everything I had and to be honest I didn't think I had successfully tightened it at all. It turned out that was all that it needed. I'm not sure if this is applicable for any of you guys or not.

TMO Supporting Vendors