The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Steering rack gone bad?

One more steering related headache...
Coming back from two days of tracking the BOSS I noticed some loud "cracks" at the RH front wheel area while maneuvering to park the car.
It sounded like a broken bearing at the camber plate really...but upon taking both of them apart; all is fine.
All is tight everywhere.
A while ago, I noted a unusual play in the steering and already checked all bolts etc.. but I lived with it.
Now these cracking sounds are loud and I have to do something about it.
Any help would be appreciated. Here in Europe no dealer can help at all...
gallery_12429_213_229183.jpg
 

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
6,640
3,810
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Illinois
Can you give a few more details??

Does it happen constantly, under load, while,turning a certain direction etc.?? Does the sound frequency in ears or decrease with the speed of the wheels?

Who long have the brake pads Been on the car?

Is there noticeable buildup on the brake rotors??

You may be able to,tell,that I have had to chase a similar noise. It turned out to be build up on the rotors easily fupixed by sanding the build up off the rotor.

Don't know if this is your issue.

A bit more info could help us help you.

Nice clean looking LS by the way!!
 
TMSBOSS said:
Can you give a few more details??

Does it happen constantly, under load, while,turning a certain direction etc.?? Does the sound frequency in ears or decrease with the speed of the wheels?

Who long have the brake pads Been on the car?

Is there noticeable buildup on the brake rotors??

You may be able to,tell,that I have had to chase a similar noise. It turned out to be build up on the rotors easily fupixed by sanding the build up off the rotor.

Don't know if this is your issue.

A bit more info could help us help you.

Nice clean looking LS by the way!!
Thank you TMSBoss
The cracking noise is heard standing still and turning the wheels like when you maneuver the car to park it.
It is a series of cracking noises heard as you rotate the steering wheel.
It seems to be at the RH shock tower...
You really have to turn the wheels, it is not happening at normal driving steering angles.
Apart when not moving or driving VERY slowly and turning the steering wheel from one end to the other (then it is audible), when driving I cant hear it really ...
I thought it was the camber plate upper bearing gone bad.
Then I thought it was a wheel not being tight.
Then I thought about a wheel bearing (although the wheels are not necessarily turning when this happens).
Then the ball joint or the steering rod ? (I still have to re-check those last two but first inspection did not show any play at all).
Why do I think its the rack? (the car has 6K miles - its a track car although I drive to and from)
It started to have play the last time I tracked the car.
When the wheels are off and the contact on (to allow the steering rack to move) when I force on the disc-knuckle to manually turn from one stop to the other, I can feel and hear the cracks through the disc I hold in my hands.
 
TMSBOSS said:
Do you hear the same sound with the key off?
I will try that but without the engine running it's going to be very hard to turn the wheels stop to stop unless I mount real skinny frt tires for testing.
 

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
6,640
3,810
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Illinois
patrickshelby said:
I will try that but without the engine running it's going to be very hard to turn the wheels stop to stop unless I mount real skinny frt tires for testing.

Agree. But if we isolate the sound to the rack when it has power only, we may have found the problem.
 
patrickshelby said:
I will try that but without the engine running it's going to be very hard to turn the wheels stop to stop unless I mount real skinny frt tires for testing.

If you are parked on smooth concrete (garage floor) try placing waxed paper (for baking) under the front tires to get them to turn easier.

Tim
 
thehueypilot said:
If you are parked on smooth concrete (garage floor) try placing waxed paper (for baking) under the front tires to get them to turn easier.
Tim
Yes you are both right, I have to try that this WE (away until Sat) !
Thanks for the help :)
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top