The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Steering shaft question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

There are two nuts on studs inside the driver's compartment at the firewall you need to loosen or remove. Then the steering shaft will slide up.

I know the ones inside the cabin slide. The ones in the engine bay slide freely too (without unbolting the column from the dash)?
The steering column does not slide inside the engine compartment.

The two nuts I am talking about are not the ones bolting the column to the dash. At the firewall in front of the brake pedal are two nuts on two studs that are about 2" in length. Loosen / remove those two nuts and the steering shaft will compress inside the car. This will give you enough room to disconnect and reconnect the steering shaft to the EPAS in the engine bay easily.

2012-Boss . This is the part I’m talking about.
View attachment 71876
Understood. That does not collapse. I was assuming by your post you were trying to gain some clearance to install and remove the shaft from the EPAS. There is a similar section inside the car that does collapse. You can leave the shaft in your picture connected at firewall u-joint then loosen the nuts inside the car, collapse the inside shaft a couple inches to get clearance to disconnect or reconnect to the EPAS.

TMO Supporting Vendors