The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Steering Wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Fort Worth
I've started to wear through my original rubber steering wheel and it's time to get a replacement because the rubber seams are ripping up my hands. I've found a few options:
1. GT350R steering wheel - not 100% on if the airbag will work but it looks like the cruise control and horn will work based on this article.
2. Ford Racing wheel with hub - no cruise, horn or airbag (I'll need to add horn buttons somewhere). Looking at this kit because I've been told you have to get the right hub for the steering wheel.
3. SCGarage custom wheel - Crazy expensive but should be turn key and all buttons and horn will work.
4. Ebay / Junk yard leather wrapped steering wheel - turn key and all buttons will work. Might have other issues. Not Alcantara so probably will still wear out but could last for years.

Are there any other options I'm missing?
Has anyone tried the S550 steering wheel on the S197?
Any experience with SCGarage?
Am I better off spending that money on a pair of racing gloves?
What can I wrap / coat the existing steering wheel with to make it softer on my hands?
How bad of an idea is something like this:

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I've started to wear through my original rubber steering wheel and it's time to get a replacement because the rubber seams are ripping up my hands. I've found a few options:
1. GT350R steering wheel - not 100% on if the airbag will work but it looks like the cruise control and horn will work based on this article.
2. Ford Racing wheel with hub - no cruise, horn or airbag (I'll need to add horn buttons somewhere). Looking at this kit because I've been told you have to get the right hub for the steering wheel.
3. SCGarage custom wheel - Crazy expensive but should be turn key and all buttons and horn will work.
4. Ebay / Junk yard leather wrapped steering wheel - turn key and all buttons will work. Might have other issues. Not Alcantara so probably will still wear out but could last for years.

Are there any other options I'm missing?
Has anyone tried the S550 steering wheel on the S197?
Any experience with SCGarage?
Am I better off spending that money on a pair of racing gloves?
What can I wrap / coat the existing steering wheel with to make it softer on my hands?
How bad of an idea is something like this:
I bought a wheel from SoCal during their Black Friday special 11/2020. I received the wheel February 4th 2021. I ordered full Alcantara and the bottom part to be matte carbon( figured if I was spending the money open a wheel then I might as well. I do like their pricing and that if you want full Alcantara, it will be less rather than some places charge you for CF or not. Well they sent me the wrong wheel. They sent me gloss CF with Alcantara sides. I reached out to Greg, the owner and he apologized. he said I would get the new wheel in a month. I didnt get the new wheel until May 14th. It was still wrong. I closed my eyes and ordered via Beith what I wanted and within 5 weeks I had exactly what I wanted. Plus the Alcantara with Beith is better than Socal in my opinion.

to sum it up: SoCal makes great wheels if you want something simple.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Fort Worth
Can a local to you auto interior shop rewrap the existing wheel?
Good suggestion - I called a few in the area and haven't gotten any bites. The first two didn't do that type of work and another does it but wants it to be part of a larger build. I've got calls and Facebook messages out to a few more but it's not looking good on this front.

@biggsy - thanks. A black Friday sale at Socal might be just what I'm looking for and I've added Beith to my list. I've got simple tastes.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
I called a few in the area and haven't gotten any bites.
Maybe call a couple sports car restoration shops in your area and ask them who they'd use, or if they do it in-house. You might even get lucky and be able to bundle your wheel with other work they've got going to the upholsterer.

I wonder if Beith Performance Parts could do your wheel with some new leather or alcantara if you sent them your wheel? I purchased one of their GT350 wheels and it is amazing quality.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel