The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

steveespo new bullet for the 21 Car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good stuff! Had the concept what was going on but didn't know the specifics and needed to dig deeper. Found this tech article which was helpful . I'm learning and know engines won't last forever so posting the link more for guys like me. I would not attempt an engine build. This might help me with asking the right questions for a builder.

Monaca Pa
Good stuff! Had the concept what was going on but didn't know the specifics and needed to dig deeper. Found this tech article which was helpful . I'm learning and know engines won't last forever so posting the link more for guys like me. I would not attempt an engine build. This might help me with asking the right questions for a builder.

Don’t be scared

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
If you are comfortable with .000x decimal measuring tools and equipment then building a Coyote rotating assembly is a DIY. If you don't have the tools or skills to use them then have a professional engine builder do it and check on their work. I trusted but didn't verify and got bit.

Thanks. Building an engine looks like fun and would like the personal satisfaction of knowing exactly what's in it and that things were done to spec. I would definitely have to do my due diligence and make a few tool purchases prior but know enough gear heads that could probably borrow stuff. There is so much essential engine building information here along with tricks that would be a tremendous help. Good luck with your new build!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thats what I thought.... But after busting three engines you kind of loose the urge... So far the AED built engine has lasted longer then the previous three forged engines combined. Maybe a good old OHV ford engine, for a factory Five would be fun... NAH... would get a new coyote crate engine. Have seen builders WAY better then us have engines fail after a few track days. My OEM Boss coyote engine lasted for 5 years with two to three track days a month. Nothing like OEM... Sorry maybe me engine experiences have left me a grumpy carmudgeon

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Geez, Mad, I have had only one engine failure in 42 years and it was on an engine I sent out to have the head redone. To the company's credit they repaired it at no charge and it then ran for at least 3 more years ( not sure after that since I sold the car ). I tend to believe you should go OEM since that 5yr. record running is better than the uber built motors!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel