The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!
Dec

Super GT Cup - Round 7 - Buttonwillow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I'll be there in SuperMod. No hope of really anything good missing so many events and rather underpowered, but with NASA starting off there a month later, it's a good time to play with some suspension and lines.

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I'll be there too. Testing the trans cooler bypass. Probably supermod too.
It will be big event!
Possibly SuperMod?

Look, it's no longer your birthday. I can hear a voice off in the distance.
Greg said:

You've got more power than me :D

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
I wish I could make it. Had a great time at Thunderhill despite the pouring rain for Round 5. Good luck everyone!

sfo
does supercup run at the same time the other ongrid groups run or does super cup have a separate rungroup? So for example does supercup race group run when ongrid group 5 goes out?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
So cal
does supercup run at the same time the other ongrid groups run or does super cup have a separate rungroup? So for example does supercup race group run when ongrid group 5 goes out?
Super gt cup usually has 2 run groups, and inside of those 2 you will have others that are in different time attack events, example there are always Miata's out on the track with super gt cup runs(very annoying). Then they also have hpde groups and if you are in super gt cup but not that experienced and not comfortable with the open passing etc you can run during an hpde session and your times will still count towards super gt cup.

Super gt cup usually has 2 run groups, and inside of those 2 you will have others that are in different time attack events, example there are always Miata's out on the track with super gt cup runs(very annoying). Then they also have hpde groups and if you are in super gt cup but not that experienced and not comfortable with the open passing etc you can run during an hpde session and your times will still count towards super gt cup.
It is not annoying. I'm sorry.
The pre grid is based on laptime.
So is not related if you drive a 600hp car or a miata. Is about how fast you go.
Now
Depending on the track a good time attacker will distance himself more or less based on the car in front.
At buttonwillow our cars are faster on the straight but miatas are better btw t3 and t7.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
So cal
It is not annoying. I'm sorry.
The pre grid is based on laptime.
So is not related if you drive a 600hp car or a miata. Is about how fast you go.
Now
Depending on the track a good time attacker will distance himself more or less based on the car in front.
At buttonwillow our cars are faster on the straight but miatas are better btw t3 aAre we answe
it is annoying, how can you speak for others, maybe it doesn't annoy you but the same issue was brought up after the first event big willow when asked what can improve by another driver, and at that time you also told them they are wrong, so no wonder why when you guys ask for feedback in the Facebook group all you get are crickets, you ask for constructive criticism then when people speak up they are told no or they are wrong. . The question was if super gt cup has its own run group or not which i replied to. Have a good day and good luck next weekend.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
First session in TT is always a challenge because your spot largely depends on when you get to grid. NASA and most others make no attempt to pre-grid session 1. Super GT Cup has tried to make session 1 better by allowing guys to submit a lap time for purposes of gridding session 1. Unfortunately it’s an “honor system” and there were a lot of drivers that were overly optimistic on their lap times, or listed a hero lap PB from a winter session. If everyone provided realistic lap times, the Super GT format would be a best case scenario for everyone to get a clean lap in session 1. From there, the rest should sort itself out session 2 forward with real lap times from that day.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
So cal
To understand. What exactly is annoying?
Them messing up lap times, let me try to explain. So 1st lap is out lap so don't count, then checked flag lap you have to pit so that lap doesn't count, so now you get what 4 other attempts for a clean lap and hoping to do so in 1st or 2nd session (which typically are the fastest sessions). So yes you are correct, good time attacker will set his gap which if you know the track have driven there many times etc you may only need 1 or 2 laps to set your hot lap time for the day. So lets say its not a track you are familiar with and you need more sessions or laps as to get your best hot lap (example at Daytona you set your best hot lap on 2nd say after few sessions, so now imagine a miata blocked you through 3 turns on your fastest lap, would you be annoyed?) now say buttonwillow for example i come up on a Miata at straight away no biggie i drive right around didn't effect my lap time or slow me down much at all, but now lets say i come up on them at cotton corner , depending on how fast they are etc can be stuck behind them without enough room to pass say until past bus stop for example. so now consider that lap a waste now. So yes to me its frustrating sometimes feels like you spend entire day trying to get a clean lap in and at that time hoping you yourself don't mess up on that 1 clean opportunity you get. Also not saying that miata are the only annoying thing same thing happens when you come up on someone in a high horsepower car during their cool down lap lets say through the esses. But in my opinion the event and overall enjoyment would increase if cars of similar horsepower are on the track together cause even if you do you get stuck behind someone in a higher horsepower vehicle they are typically faster at getting out of your way and don't kill your time as much. Just my 2 cents you don't have to agree with it, but im just giving my experience.

At the end of the day I've never once complained about it as I also realize that we are all dealing with the same issue and nothing is ever going to be perfect its up to the person as a driver to do what is needed to get their lap time.

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Them messing up lap times, let me try to explain. So 1st lap is out lap so don't count, then checked flag lap you have to pit so that lap doesn't count, so now you get what 4 other attempts for a clean lap and hoping to do so in 1st or 2nd session (which typically are the fastest sessions). So yes you are correct, good time attacker will set his gap which if you know the track have driven there many times etc you may only need 1 or 2 laps to set your hot lap time for the day. So lets say its not a track you are familiar with and you need more sessions or laps as to get your best hot lap (example at Daytona you set your best hot lap on 2nd say after few sessions, so now imagine a miata blocked you through 3 turns on your fastest lap, would you be annoyed?) now say buttonwillow for example i come up on a Miata at straight away no biggie i drive right around didn't effect my lap time or slow me down much at all, but now lets say i come up on them at cotton corner , depending on how fast they are etc can be stuck behind them without enough room to pass say until past bus stop for example. so now consider that lap a waste now. So yes to me its frustrating sometimes feels like you spend entire day trying to get a clean lap in and at that time hoping you yourself don't mess up on that 1 clean opportunity you get. Also not saying that miata are the only annoying thing same thing happens when you come up on someone in a high horsepower car during their cool down lap lets say through the esses. But in my opinion the event and overall enjoyment would increase if cars of similar horsepower are on the track together cause even if you do you get stuck behind someone in a higher horsepower vehicle they are typically faster at getting out of your way and don't kill your time as much. Just my 2 cents you don't have to agree with it, but im just giving my experience.

At the end of the day I've never once complained about it as I also realize that we are all dealing with the same issue and nothing is ever going to be perfect its up to the person as a driver to do what is needed to get their lap time.
Before I say anything, I've never tried this method, just trying to constructively talk/think out a solution -- What if the session is say, 15 mins long, and you either show up to grid late, or sit in the hot pit for a handful of laps? (You unfortunately can not do that in NASA TT, btw) Assuming that most people in Time Trials are going out on Auto-X tires that will overheat after 2-3 hard laps, your first lap getting up to pace may likely be their in cooldown (but, already a wasted lap) and you're hoping that they're both off line, and situationally aware, pointing people by, but then your 2-3 laps are with much lesser traffic and overall car count? Somewhat like F1 qualifying, you somewhat flirt with the white/checkered flags, but the hope/goal here is that you can put down a blistering lap to then get you into a higher group. I will admit though, Buttonwillow is a real difficult track as many cars can run very fast times, but there are a few different ways to get there, unlike a power track like ACS. My last time out there I was being held up by a GT4 Mustang, and would do stupid overly aggressive shiznit trying to get by which resulted in me making some spectacular offs :D

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
So cal
Before I say anything, I've never tried this method, just trying to constructively talk/think out a solution -- What if the session is say, 15 mins long, and you either show up to grid late, or sit in the hot pit for a handful of laps? (You unfortunately can not do that in NASA TT, btw) Assuming that most people in Time Trials are going out on Auto-X tires that will overheat after 2-3 hard laps, your first lap getting up to pace may likely be their in cooldown (but, already a wasted lap) and you're hoping that they're both off line, and situationally aware, pointing people by, but then your 2-3 laps are with much lesser traffic and overall car count? Somewhat like F1 qualifying, you somewhat flirt with the white/checkered flags, but the hope/goal here is that you can put down a blistering lap to then get you into a higher group. I will admit though, Buttonwillow is a real difficult track as many cars can run very fast times, but there are a few different ways to get there, unlike a power track like ACS. My last time out there I was being held up by a GT4 Mustang, and would do stupid overly aggressive shiznit trying to get by which resulted in me making some spectacular offs :D
I see what you're saying and yes could work if 2 things, 1. you don't mind being that guy that messes up someone hot lap lol and 2. if its a track you are very familiar with and only need 2 laps to post your time. But for example when we were just at chuckwalla I didn't get an actual clean lap without traffic etc until the 2nd day no matter what i tried, i even set a gap of letting the car ahead of me be at turn 4 before i tried my hot lap and by turn 6 or 7 they were already blocking me(miata btw) also didn't help was my 1st time with them and was stuck in the hpde 3 and 4 run group. Then later in the day had my best projected lap of the 2 days only for it to get killed in the last 4 turns by a focus, so yes to me that's very annoying, you spend money traveling, tires, gas etc and to not get to get a clean lap so can at least go home happy you set a new pb or at least had opportunities to.

Ok im off my soapbox now see you at acs tomorrow save me the garage next to you :)

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Then later in the day had my best projected lap of the 2 days only for it to get killed in the last 4 turns by a focus, so yes to me that's very annoying, you spend money traveling, tires, gas etc and to not get to get a clean lap so can at least go home happy you set a new pb or at least had opportunities to.

Ok im off my soapbox now see you at acs tomorrow save me the garage next to you :)
I hear ya, we've all been there.
This was my last HPDE4 at NASA Buttonwillow :

1638651594450.png
Amazingly frustrating when they put 40 cars on a course where maybe 25 is pushing it, especially when you're 10+ seconds faster then your "best" lap. No flags were out on that run, I had to find/watch the video just because of that 3 minute lap. (Girl in Thunder Roadster had a problem and tried to be nice and point everybody by, not wanting to pull off and get a yellow.)

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
So cal
I hear ya, we've all been there.
This was my last HPDE4 at NASA Buttonwillow :

View attachment 70685
Amazingly frustrating when they put 40 cars on a course where maybe 25 is pushing it, especially when you're 10+ seconds faster then your "best" lap. No flags were out on that run, I had to find/watch the video just because of that 3 minute lap. (Girl in Thunder Roadster had a problem and tried to be nice and point everybody by, not wanting to pull off and get a yellow.)
Yeah i saw a white mustang doing 35mph around the track at chuckwalla 🤣🤣🤣.

TMO Supporting Vendors