The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Suspension Failure....You guys should see this

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pufferfish said:
Now, I am not making excuses for whiteline, but my steeda UCA is toast. The polyurethane bushing is destroyed after 30k miles. I think their attack of whiteline is tasteless and pointless. Who are they trying to convince anyhow?

That's not really fair to say about Steeda, sure they road test their products but they didn't know you were going to be driving the car, ha.

isrboss

A round of golf between Steeda and Whiteline.

Whiteline -3
Steeda 0

Whiteline will make right on this, and move forward. Steeda will always need to rely on the "Made in the USA", and dirty ground tactics to sell parts(unless were talking Steeda's rear wing, good wing)

As an engineer, I don't think the complaints about Steeda are reasonable. This isn't a customer service problem, that Whiteline can somehow "make right". This part is a result of a development process that is clearly lacking...and most importantly, DANGEROUS!

Steeda is trying to point out that when you change proven OEM components to aftermarket, you need to take that decision seriously. Steeda is offering parts that they designed (designing and copying are vastly different technical challenges), and they control production. So the part they provide to you is made of the same material, in the same process as the part that was tested.

Whiteline has demonstrated they don't have solid engineering capability, and don't have control of their production...which is typical for trying to cut cost by sourcing to developing countries. They materials coming out of these 2nd world Asian countries is scary. Ask anyone in the auto industry right now!

You can't fault Steeda for having pride in what they produce, and pointing out the difference to people that might otherwise not have the background to notice... until their rear axle is exiting stage left.

Re: Suspension Failure....You guys should see this

u00mem9 said:
As an engineer, I don't think the complaints about Steeda are reasonable. This isn't a customer service problem, that Whiteline can somehow "make right". This part is a result of a development process that is clearly lacking...and most importantly, DANGEROUS!

Steeda is trying to point out that when you change proven OEM components to aftermarket, you need to take that decision seriously. Steeda is offering parts that they designed (designing and copying are vastly different technical challenges), and they control production. So the part they provide to you is made of the same material, in the same process as the part that was tested.

Whiteline has demonstrated they don't have solid engineering capability, and don't have control of their production...which is typical for trying to cut cost by sourcing to developing countries. They materials coming out of these 2nd world Asian countries is scary. Ask anyone in the auto industry right now!

You can't fault Steeda for having pride in what they produce, and pointing out the difference to people that might otherwise not have the background to notice... until their rear axle is exiting stage left.

^^This^^

I don't fault Steeda at all and I don't own of their products. Whiteline missed the boat on the their UCA. The thing is garbage.

I would say false advertising is enough for me. Chromoly is supposed to be TIG welded. I've owned several high end race cars with Chromoly cages and have never I mean never seen welds like theirs. The is MIG welded my friends. Typically when any product hits the market and is cheaper than everybody else's stuff it's because it's inferior.

Steeda, BMR, and UPR have been around the block...tested and true.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!

u00mem9 said:

well said agree 110%

isrboss

u00mem9 said:

This is not "well said" it's 100% speculation, besides the part being engineered wrong. I'm more to the point with facts, all you have is a story here. Steeda has had their fair share of faulty parts. This uca by Whiteline is poorly engineered, read my post on page one. You can rant all you want about materials and how will they make right. As far as I know no lives have been lost due to this part, and I don't see Whiteline going away because of this, so they have to make right(getting customers a well engineered part, and removing the POS for the counter). I have never been a Steeda fan after reading multiple reliability post on different parts in the past, and would purchase a Whiteline product over Steeda any day (after I researched the part). I am pretty thorough and inspect every part prior to installing it, and research the sh*t out of it. I myself see no reason to remove the OEM UCA for aftermarket, but I don't drag race. For the same reason I purchased the FRPP lower brackets, if it is under heavy load, go BEEFY. I could have looked at the Whiteline UCA and seen how weak it looked, then called BMR for one. As a customer you have a responsibility to make a responsible purchase, and trust no one when it comes to your safety. Don't direct subjective posts to me in the future, and don't look in to my posts and think you're able to read my mind. I never attack any one personally, my previous post is mostly for a post count so I can be popular. ;D

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !

isrboss said:
This is not "well said" it's 100% speculation, besides the part being engineered wrong. I'm more to the point with facts, all you have is a story here. Steeda has had their fair share of faulty parts. This uca by Whiteline is poorly engineered, read my post on page one. You can rant all you want about materials and how will they make right. As far as I know no lives have been lost due to this part, and I don't see Whiteline going away because of this, so they have to make right(getting customers a well engineered part, and removing the POS for the counter). I have never been a Steeda fan after reading multiple reliability post on different parts in the past, and would purchase a Whiteline product over Steeda any day (after I researched the part). I am pretty thorough and inspect every part prior to installing it, and research the sh*t out of it. I myself see no reason to remove the OEM UCA for aftermarket, but I don't drag race. For the same reason I purchased the FRPP lower brackets, if it is under heavy load, go BEEFY. I could have looked at the Whiteline UCA and seen how weak it looked, then called BMR for one. As a customer you have a responsibility to make a responsible purchase, and trust no one when it comes to your safety. Don't direct subjective posts to me in the future, and don't look in to my posts and think you're able to read my mind. I never attack any one personally, my previous post is mostly for a post count so I can be popular. ;D

I agree with Pecker. I see no reason to modify the stock UCA. I also research parts and compare brands heavily . I also run my decisions by my Speed shop. Lately I have taken a liking to Vorshlag. They race they build all kinds of cars and they like Whiteline and they are very helpful. They have Whiteline on their race car. I just ordered a bunch of Whiteline parts from them and I have full confidence that they will be awesome. I did talk with Vorshlag about the rear UCA, they told me to leave the stock one in place. OK done thank you. Parts fail, stock and after market. That's why you nut and bolt your car every couple track days. Once you track your car you are taking it to the next level like a race car and stuff breaks.

Honestly guys, it's great that you are "researching" the interweb and talking to the mechanic at the speed shop! WTF?!?

Unfortunately, there is more to engineering than having a good look at the part...well, maybe not at whiteline ;)

Riddle me this? Everyone seems to agree that the part in question is a "bad design". ( It wasn't really a 'design' at all in the engineering sense). So if they clearly failed at both the engineering analysis and the testing phase of this part, why would you reasonably expect their other parts to have gone through a completely different, competent development process? They didn't.

I'm willing to bet the calculators stayed dusty on that watts link design too. Without theory, learning the difference between a 300ft-lb Subaru and a 600ft-lb GT500 is going to be a tough road for WL.

u00mem9 said:
Riddle me this? Everyone seems to agree that the part in question is a "bad design". ( It wasn't really a 'design' at all in the engineering sense). So if they clearly failed at both the engineering analysis and the testing phase of this part, why would you reasonably expect their other parts to have gone through a completely different, competent development process? They didn't.

I'm willing to bet the calculators stayed dusty on that watts link design too.

Going to have to tread lightly here...

Where is Whiteline based???

How many Mustangs do they have there??

I'm sure their CAD programs are great...

Real world testing...not so much

8) 8) 8) 8)

"I come from a land down under..."

isrboss

VTBoss302 said:
Steeda is in a separate league, IMHO...

Google BMR A-Arms..

Tested, yes, by consumers.

VTBoss302

VT we can really go all day here with the manufactures that get it wrong on design or materials used. I shop around and I'm loyal to no manufacture, he with the dependable part wins. I was looking into a-arms and I decided to go with the FRPP 302s ones when I'm ready.

isrboss said:
VT we can really go all day here with the manufactures that get it wrong on design or materials used. I shop around and I'm loyal to no manufacture, he with the dependable part wins. I was looking into a-arms and I decided to go with the FRPP 302s ones when I'm ready.

Agreed.

Good choice on the FRPP arms..

One more plug (please note I have never bought anything from Steeda except a catalog).

http://www.steeda.com/blog/2012/11/steeda-renews-iso-certification-at-benefit-of-customers/

Not trying to promote anyone (well, OK, maybe FOMOCO and FRPP)

Safety first!!!

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I was looking into a-arms and I decided to go with the FRPP 302s ones when I'm ready.

ISR you can't go wrong with the Ford Racing parts, downside is they are very expensive, as you know you have to buy the rear bushings and retainers separately. That makes them about $1000 a pair. Steeda sell factory Ford arms with the tall ball joint and both front and rear bushings and mounts. I paid $479 a pair shipped when they had one of their Holiday sales. Of course this got me the EPAS shudder which cost another $1000 to fix.

Anyway, like you I go for quality and reputation before price, but sometimes you find all 3.
Steve

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!

Domestic Product said:
I agree with Pecker. I see no reason to modify the stock UCA. I also research parts and compare brands heavily . I also run my decisions by my Speed shop. Lately I have taken a liking to Vorshlag. They race they build all kinds of cars and they like Whiteline and they are very helpful. They have Whiteline on their race car. I just ordered a bunch of Whiteline parts from them and I have full confidence that they will be awesome. I did talk with Vorshlag about the rear UCA, they told me to leave the stock one in place. OK done thank you. Parts fail, stock and after market. That's why you nut and bolt your car every couple track days. Once you track your car you are taking it to the next level like a race car and stuff breaks.
no reason at all to modify it? You and that shop are horriblely mistaken. The stock one is a rubbery turd that promotes very real wheel hop. Look back some posts and see the videos on one that is being drag raced and tell me there is nothing wrong with the stock arm.

I don't know a bushing in the world that isn't a wearable part. Doesn't matter what the brand is you are going to have to replace the bushings at some point and you need to grease them on the regular as well. They aren't made of magic. You guys that have shops do all your work and take their advice. Please get off of your computer and do some of your own work cause right now all you are doing is passing your hear say and useless opinions.

isrboss

I like how Justin is manly in his posts! I, like yourself, do all the work to my cars when I'm in town. I think you get to heated sometimes and type things that are more than likely hypocritical. I know I won't install an aftermarket part on to a car I'm going to put on a road course and drive hard without researching feedback from those that have been there. I hate being the guinea pig, and look to test by race teams and consumers. I can't say you are guilty, but being a guy that used to frequent the 1/4, I know how most live by, " X brand headers dyno 25hp more and y brand only 15hp, etc.". This simple dyno bench racing has sold more HP parts than anything I can think of for the standard drag racer. In the end all turns out okay, you get HP, probably not what you read, but your car goes quicker and faster in the 1/4. The way you like to do all the work yourself makes you comfortable, and others that seek a shop to do the work for them for the same reason, comfort. Whether you care to admit or not, we all take advise from others, some good, some bad, but in the end it is our final decision what we put on our vehicles.

I hope just because you seen how much movement there is with the OEM UCA, you are thinking it has to be replaced. I feel that leaving the OEM in place is the right choice for me. I have not experienced any wheel hop while tracking my Boss with the OEM UCA and rear end control is very smooth and controllable.

I got in touch with my feminine side there, and I feel sick now. :-[

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

Justin said:
no reason at all to modify it? You and that shop are horriblely mistaken. The stock one is a rubbery turd that promotes very real wheel hop. Look back some posts and see the videos on one that is being drag raced and tell me there is nothing wrong with the stock arm.

I don't know a bushing in the world that isn't a wearable part. Doesn't matter what the brand is you are going to have to replace the bushings at some point and you need to grease them on the regular as well. They aren't made of magic. You guys that have shops do all your work and take their advice. Please get off of your computer and do some of your own work cause right now all you are doing is passing your hear say and useless opinions.

I do all my own work on the car(s). I have the stock UCA and have 0 wheel hop on the GT. Rear suspension is stock Brembo, Boss shocks, P springs, and Whiteline relocation brackets, and RS-3s in 275/35-18. Hop is NOT 'promoted by the stock UCA', but it does almost nothing to prevent it. 'Proper' suspension geometry and damping does help prevent or eliminate hop. And yes, I launch like an old drag racer. Just sayin'.

As someone who has used the stock, Whiteline, and Steeda UCAs, I am amazed that people continue to believe that the OE UCA is just fine. I had already installed aftermarket pieces - P springs, Steeda billet LCAs, Whiteline relos, J&M panhard bar, and Drake panhard bar brace and they all helped incrementally but I still wasn't entirely happy with the feel of the rear axle because it still had 'play' in it (even with the rear shocks on full stiff) and that lack of precision was annoying.

I was actually contemplating a Watts link but instead replaced the stock UCA and that single part made such a huge difference that I'm not sure I have any real desire to go with a Watts. The axle finally feels so much more a part of the car instead of something that is working against the precision of the rest of the chassis.

isrboss

Champale said:
As someone who has used the stock, Whiteline, and Steeda UCAs, I am amazed that people continue to believe that the OE UCA is just fine. I had already installed aftermarket pieces - P springs, Steeda billet LCAs, Whiteline relos, J&M panhard bar, and Drake panhard bar brace and they all helped incrementally but I still wasn't entirely happy with the feel of the rear axle because it still had 'play' in it (even with the rear shocks on full stiff) and that lack of precision was annoying.

I was actually contemplating a Watts link but instead replaced the stock UCA and that single part made such a huge difference that I'm not sure I have any real desire to go with a Watts. The axle finally feels so much more a part of the car instead of something that is working against the precision of the rest of the chassis.

Can you please define the way you are determining the rear axle precision?

Just for reference I can put the rear of my Boss where I want it with a huge amount of confidence; o yeah with the mushy oem UCA in place. Maybe you have a tire problem?

Hello isrboss - My Bosses (first a '12 and now a '13LS) have been wonderful cars, more fun than just about anything I've ever driven, but even with the upgrades I had made, I never thought that the rear axle seemed as planted as I would have liked. The Steeda UCA was the final piece of the puzzle for me and I am super happy with it (and the Steeda bracket). The traction in a straight line and in corners is markedly better.

Is the car worthless without an aftermarket UCA? Of course not. But . . . it made a huge difference in how planted rear tires feel now. I think that anyone who has changed out their UCA for an aftermarket one, be it Steeda, BMR, UPR, Roush, etc, would agree with me.

John

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel