The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tesla is in more trouble than just with their crashing stock prices!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
My big issue with the new car for me is the weight. My car is probably at least 400 lbs lighter than the new car, it was a stripper other than PP1 and it's been partially gutted. No way I'm interested in a heavier car than what I've already got.

If I was going to lay out 100K on a car (that's about what the new Mustang is up here, properly spec'd) I'd prolly buy a 'vette, they sell in that price range up here. Couple of guys run C8's with the track day group I'm with and they seem to be totally fine on the track. Though to be honest they run in a lower group than I'm in and I don't really know how hard they're being pushed, could be they're "grand touring". But they certainly don't come in smoking and puking fluids.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
What did you think of the dash for the Dark Horse? From photos it looks like 2 bulky screens and oversized.
If this is an accurate image, I personally find it offensive...🤮
1674496481562.png

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Sounds like 2013 and Ford has again screwed up the Mustang. OMG, how could they put such an ugly grill and hood on the perfect car. LOL.
To me it looks like ford blended the center touch screen everyone is demanding with a modern dash. Give the customer what they ask for…..or something like that.

My big issue with the new car for me is the weight. My car is probably at least 400 lbs lighter than the new car, it was a stripper other than PP1 and it's been partially gutted. No way I'm interested in a heavier car than what I've already got.

If I was going to lay out 100K on a car (that's about what the new Mustang is up here, properly spec'd) I'd prolly buy a 'vette, they sell in that price range up here. Couple of guys run C8's with the track day group I'm with and they seem to be totally fine on the track. Though to be honest they run in a lower group than I'm in and I don't really know how hard they're being pushed, could be they're "grand touring". But they certainly don't come in smoking and puking fluids.
Basically correct, but those Vettes are really fragile. A neighbor just bought one, was ass ended, it broke the attenuator and the aluminum frame brackets.. junk. GM won't fix it, I've run into this with the Mercedes GTD car and the GS Audi, they are easily written off. The Aston we ran in GS was well thought out, it was modular and the front and rear clips bolted on to the center for ease of replacement. Also the C8 is a major maintenance PITA, even the GT guys hate to work on it.
I suspect that a lot of Vette drivers are like Porsche drivers, they don't push as hard as they think. Most Mustang drivers seem to be more hard core.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Probably not the case for all, but all the Vette owners I know pay someone else to work on them.
Totally true. The local 'vette club has zero track day people and I have never heard any owner talk about doing their own service on their car. They biznitch now and then about the dealer cost for service though. The demographic is mainly over 65 years old, there's the odd one in their 50s.
Their idea of "pushing it hard" is to run at 75 mph on the multi lane highways.

Tesla made their money selling carbon credits to other manufacturer, not surprised when others started producing EVs, their stock dumped. I wouldn't be too surprised if they ceased production in a few years, because of the competition, because God only knows we need pickups with a 60 mile range.
Investors needed please! I'm proactively working on a unique hidden floor hatch and optional matching super grippy special footwear for EVs, specifically for the 60 mile range trucks/suvs, so people can Flintstone their vehicle when they run out of electron movement. Obviously, the hatch will have to open manually. Maybe I can get weathertech to partner up with all their custom floor measurements. Who knows Shark Tank here I come! Ha

GB899

NO REGRETS
Nebraska
I will agree with Bill, I know bad idea, but the Dark Horse does look better in person... the one on display was blacked out and hood down, so probably not a real one... but there were a few little design details that I thought were simple & elegant.. like a little opening on the side of the headlight bezel that would create a small glow in the air intake opening on the grill... touches that show a lot of thought was put into the entire design.

20230120_085347.jpg

20230120_085441.jpg

20230120_085357.jpg

20230120_085454.jpg

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Thanks Rob, I mentioned the Darkhorse but failed the important task of adding the all important Fo-toes!! Appreciate you posting and by the way folks, the vents in the hood are not just for show , they are functional as you can feel with your finger that they are open. Could be a bit of help with downforce , but we know it will pull air out of the engine compartment! As Rob mentioned, " Lots of little things that show thought was put into the machine."

The bad issue was it had Pee-Rell-eezz on it , so write Ford, your Congressman, your Dealer , etc. and tell them to put Michelins or anything else on the Horse. Those shoes fell apart on the Boss Pony and no blacksmith around could repair them.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Olsburg, KS
They talked about using design cues from the later Fox body Mustang interior on the '24, and I can definitely see it with the vents. I put 100k miles on an '87 GT during college and I liked it, but definitely felt my '98 Cobra was a big step forward. My nostalgia for Fox bodies is probably not as strong as a lot of people my age. I'll have to see a new one in person to have a real opinion. It doesn't appear to be enough of a jump for me to want one right away. I may look at getting one down the road, though.

As far as "replacement cars", I've been quite frustrated with what Ford has done going to an all SUV/Truck lineup. I currently have an '09 Focus SES that's been absolutely wonderful as a daily driver. I don't think Ford has made anything like it since. The only Focus you could get in the later body style with a manual transmission was either the base S model or the ST/RS performance models. Nothing like my SES that was just a nicely equipped daily driver (the Titanium was either an auto or the awful DCT). After 253k miles it still gets 34-36mpg consistently and my biggest expense has been tires. I don't know what I'm going to replace it with. The list of manual transmission economy cars (something over 30mpg) is pretty small. I DON'T want a hybrid or automatic, which means it'll have to be something from overseas. Pretty disappointing.

Thanks Rob, I mentioned the Darkhorse but failed the important task of adding the all important Fo-toes!! Appreciate you posting and by the way folks, the vents in the hood are not just for show , they are functional as you can feel with your finger that they are open. Could be a bit of help with downforce , but we know it will pull air out of the engine compartment! As Rob mentioned, " Lots of little things that show thought was put into the machine."

The bad issue was it had Pee-Rell-eezz on it , so write Ford, your Congressman, your Dealer , etc. and tell them to put Michelins or anything else on the Horse. Those shoes fell apart on the Boss Pony and no blacksmith around could repair them.
It's kinda growing on me. I don't like all the interior electronic mumbo jumbo but wouldn't pass one up if I had the fundage. Sounds pretty sweet. Too bad they didn't tach it a bit. Come on! It's a tunnel and the best place to hear the Coyote resonate!!!

I like looking at the nice screens. I don't like trying to activate anything on the nice screens while driving.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Now , dang TMS, you didn't like the 2013, ouch, that hurts since I had two of them , ha! Actually it is all preference, since I had a 2012 too and as much as I liked it I found the 2013 more aggressive and mean. This goes back to the old saying about which Mustang is the best looking with the answer being, " the one your own!"

I am not super crazy about the interior but I will wait to see in person, since the car really did appear better seeing it on the ground, than what I felt from photos. It does look aggressive , in the front , but one has to remember, I really liked the 2013s haha!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Now , dang TMS, you didn't like the 2013, ouch, that hurts since I had two of them , ha! Actually it is all preference, since I had a 2012 too and as much as I liked it I found the 2013 more aggressive and mean. This goes back to the old saying about which Mustang is the best looking with the answer being, " the one your own!"
Bill.
I was chasing overheat issues on the 2012 before the 2013 hit the street. The larger grill and hood vents were welcomed by folks that actually used their car. The traditional cars and coffee crew, not so much.
It’s more “Hating the Haters” than disliking the car. Change is going to happen. One way or the other. No change equals no sales eventually.
The 2012 grill and hood had a more traditional look, which I lIke’d. I also bought the 2013 Mustang and liked them both.
The S650 will have its haters. I won’t be one of them. It’s new, it has to embrace all segments of the market. The younger crowd is definitely a “See the world through a Flat Screen“ bunch. The old folks, older than us obviously, will enjoy a map screen they can actually read without wearing cheaters. Lol.
Time will tell. The good news?? My options will vest when the car hits the street. :cool::D

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I have to admit the 2013 Boss LS ran much cooler than my 12, and my 2013 Boss S was the coolest running car I ever raced! I could run 30-40 minutes in a race and that crazy car just would not get hot --- I miss that ole girl!

I saw this car at Daytona at the Ford display, but I did not thave the time to check it out and by the time I was done, I just wanted to get home, looks pretty zoomy from the street though.

I want the guy that did this to write the adverts for it though..

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors