The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 The car that does everything Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Location is listed as Somewhere East and that has to be literally and figuratively, ha! Since you are likely in the Middle East please post some pictures of your car on track ( video if. you have it ) as it always fun for us to see Mustangs running on tracks all over the World. Welcome!

Location is listed as Somewhere East and that has to be literally and figuratively, ha! Since you are likely in the Middle East please post some pictures of your car on track ( video if. you have it ) as it always fun for us to see Mustangs running on tracks all over the World. Welcome!

You got me 😆.
I've been on the track a couple of times only so I don't have a lot of videos, but I'll post one as soon a possible.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
No problem, we have members all over the World and this is a great place to get ideas that would work in modifying and tracking your GT 500. Always interesting to hear how things are run in different places and we have posts from Canada, Australia, France, and Chile , just to name a few.

This is a great site for knowledgeable Sponsors as many of them have their own Mustangs and therefore you get a more passionate company to deal with who really knows the machines we drive and race.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Looks like a brake upgrade is your next best upgrade , along with brake ducting. Hitting 120+ a couple of times and pushing 150+ also, those are areas that should be on your next mod list. I am sure it gets a little warm ,there, ha, but fun track and you have the go, you just need the " whoa!!"

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Beautiful track! At first I thought it sounded like a sequential transmission - then remembered GT500!

Yeah its really fun, and fast too which means brakes get really toasty lol. There is another configuration for the inner track which I like better because its not as hard on brakes.

I do have brake ducts and I'm running carbotech XP10 and yet I'm hitting their limit. I think its because of the weight of the GT500. I'm moving up to XP12 for next track day.

Old wise tale...The more speed you generate, the more braking you require..................many find out the hard way.....................
Yep, imagine my surprise the very first time going to this monstrous track with Hawk HPS pads, lol. Fortunately I wasn't brave enough to go that fast and still cooked them, which made me look seriously into brakes and now I have about every mod one could do.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Hasan, the Carbotech 10 is not sufficient for the track or weight of your car in my estimation. Considering the heat in your Region of the World, the speed of the GT 500 and it's mass, I would suggest you move up to a much higher pad temp --i.e. more aggressive. Carbotech and G- Loc are very similar as two branches of the same family have the businesses. I would contact Optimum Performance or KNS Brakes on this site, and ask them to send you a set of G-Loc front pads in an R18 ( this is the equivalent of a 24 with Carbotech). I think a G-Loc 10 in the rear would work well, so get the rears also. Are you running a 2 piece rotor up front, and if not , either of those companies can help you and I would suggest the Giro-Disc as they are made with American Steel and though pricey they are less than Stoptech or Brembo. In my experience they are even better and I prefer knowing where the rotor metal comes from!

Lastly, I hope your are flushing you brake lines after each weekend since you are obviously creating alot of heat. If not begin that process with something like Motul 600 or even Castrol SRF.

Whoops , forgot to mention , pay a bit extra and get your brake pads pre-bedded. Sure folks can do it , but often they don't have the time, or the other pads go bad during an event. Frankly, it can be tedious and most folks don't do it correctly, so this is a time saver in many cases.

Best of luck!

Yeah its really fun, and fast too which means brakes get really toasty lol. There is another configuration for the inner track which I like better because its not as hard on brakes.

I do have brake ducts and I'm running carbotech XP10 and yet I'm hitting their limit. I think its because of the weight of the GT500. I'm moving up to XP12 for next track day.

Hasan,
For what it's worth...I contacted Ken at KNS Brakes regarding my '08 GT500 last week. With the OEM Brembo setup, he suggested that I use Raybestos ST43 pads front and rear along with Centric Premium rotors. I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens. He stated that the pads should hold up better given the power and weight of the car. He said the rotors will crack over time with track use, which I guess is normal.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Not a bad move, but I would really go to the two piece rotors for even more cooling and resistant to heat. This is based on the number of rotors we sold to folks in the Middle East , over the years when Woodhouse Motorsports was really rocking and rolling. Started back up, again, working out of our Bentley Store , the Motorsports Division is mainly working on Vipers, but I am hoping ( even though I am no longer at Woodhouse ) that we start doing a similar Division with the Ford Performance side considering all the Mustangs, Raptors , Focus ST and RSs we sold over the past 5 years.

Really appreciate the advice :).
The racing season here starts around November and somtimes not until December, with ambient temps around 20C its not too bad. I will eventually upgrade to 2 piece rotor and better pads but I just got my EC-7 wheels and I need a couple of safety/reliability upgrades so budget does not allow for now.

TMO Supporting Vendors