The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The demise of my Mustang

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Sydney
Thank you, I'm fine physically but still getting my mind around the loss. I do have plenty of time to figure how to proceed... I'm in the midst of a major home remodeling project now. I'm not sure what my resources will be when that's completed but somehow can't help looking at future options. Another 2014 GT would be ideal but in useable condition they're hard to find and surprisingly pricey, mine is probably worth more than I thought.

I just saw this one:
View attachment 76447
Theft recovery & stripped, auction pending but may not be open to public bids, we'll see.
And what is the reason for their higher price?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
I've spent the last 8 months considering my options, wavering between rebuilding with a salvage chassis or just parting everything out. Oh, and taking care of a long list of honey-do's!
With more time on my hands now I've started disassembling the car. Taking account of what exactly I have left and what I'll need to purchase, with the thought of swapping everything useful into a V6 chassis. When I have a better tally I can decide to either jump in wholeheartedly or start selling stuff.

One thing I'm concerned about is the ECU. While it didn't take a direct hit, it was pushed by the upper radiator hose and fan shroud enough to bend the mounting bracket and distort the mounting flange:
20230107_105513[1].jpg

I need to be able to swap the entirety of my electronics into a new chassis.
Other than the flange distortion I can't see any visible damage but worry that maybe it got it's bell rung pretty good?
20230107_110533_(1)[1].jpg

Is there any way to test these things?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Auckland, New Zealand
I've spent the last 8 months considering my options, wavering between rebuilding with a salvage chassis or just parting everything out. Oh, and taking care of a long list of honey-do's!
With more time on my hands now I've started disassembling the car. Taking account of what exactly I have left and what I'll need to purchase, with the thought of swapping everything useful into a V6 chassis. When I have a better tally I can decide to either jump in wholeheartedly or start selling stuff.

One thing I'm concerned about is the ECU. While it didn't take a direct hit, it was pushed by the upper radiator hose and fan shroud enough to bend the mounting bracket and distort the mounting flange:

I need to be able to swap the entirety of my electronics into a new chassis.
Other than the flange distortion I can't see any visible damage but worry that maybe it got it's bell rung pretty good?

Is there any way to test these things?

ECUs are generally pretty hardy in my experience, though as you say that looks like it was right in the middle of the fight. If the wiring, pins and plugs look OK and you can still power the car up then maybe do a scan with FORscan to check that you can access all the modules. If you can communicate with it through FORscan I suspect it will be ok.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Ok folks, I've been largely away from TMO for the last 1-1/2 years contemplating how to proceed. Part the car out and move on, or find a salvage chassis and swap my stuff over. After months of searching ads and auction sites I've finally settled on option 2. Recently bought this car to swap my parts into:

Screenshot_20231026-124556_(1).pngScreenshot_20231026-124556_(2).pngScreenshot_20231026-124607_(1).pngScreenshot_20231026-124607_(2).pngScreenshot_20231026-124614_(1).pngScreenshot_20231026-124614_(2).pngScreenshot_20231026-124630_(1).png

Awaiting delivery.
I plan to essentially turn this 6cyl into a GT clone. Probably my first order of business will be to remove the V6 engine/auto tranny from the new car, install my original coyote engine/MT82, and ensure it runs ok. I eventually will swap all my modules over, anybody know how many and where they all are? I think: for starters I'll need ecu & pats to get it to run, am I missing something? The new car is 6cyl, will I have to swap fuel control or any others to get it started??

Help appreciated!

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
I eventually will swap all my modules over, anybody know how many and where they all are? I think: for starters I'll need ecu & pats to get it to run, am I missing something? The new car is 6cyl, will I have to swap fuel control or any others to get it started??
As I understand it (maybe!) I will need the ECU corresponding to my Coyote and assume that everything PATS will need to match including the correct key. Not sure if I'll need more to get the engine to fire up. Accomplishing that will be a big inspiration to proceed with confidence on the rest of this project

I'm just in the planning stages while awaiting delivery, and gathering info. Can anyone confirm/explain/edify my limited experience with this kinda stuff??

Any help appreciated!!!

As I understand it (maybe!) I will need the ECU corresponding to my Coyote and assume that everything PATS will need to match including the correct key. Not sure if I'll need more to get the engine to fire up. Accomplishing that will be a big inspiration to proceed with confidence on the rest of this project

I'm just in the planning stages while awaiting delivery, and gathering info. Can anyone confirm/explain/edify my limited experience with this kinda stuff??

Any help appreciated!!!

Never done it but seems if the ECU is programmed right it should fire. Quick search confirmed the V6 and the 5.0 come factory with the same fuel pump so fuel supply shouldn't be an issue.

I would assume the body control unit and all that should be fine to fire it off.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
PATS in your car will be a bit less advanced than my s550 but based on my experience there I’d swap over every module from your old car. BCM, pcm, ipc (instrument cluster), key receivers, abs, at the minimum.
Exactly what I want to do. I'm lacking some good references for some of this though, not sure where to find BCM. I'll be swapping my GT stuff into a V6 chassis, any difference in the wiring harnesses? Or will the modules plug and play with existing wiring?

Sorry to say that the electronic/ computer techy stuff is going to be my weakness on this endeavor 🤔

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors