The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The Times They Are A-Charging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Actually they don't. At some point soon EV's will become a commodity and Tesla will move on to the big rigs and grid scale electrical storage. There's plenty of money to be made changing the world, trying to compete in a commodity market- not so much.
I think that’ll be the way forward for them. The carbon credit synopsis only really applies to them in the near term with the view that they are primarily a passenger EV only manufacturer. Makes things look better on quarterly reports, at least.
Now I wouldn’t be surprised if that side of Tesla becomes a very minor portion of their business overall. I used to think it was their main way to survive, and that most of their business was targeted at controlling the vertical nature of their supply chain with battery production.
Still doesn’t inspire me to buy TSLA.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Actually they don't. At some point soon EV's will become a commodity and Tesla will move on to the big rigs and grid scale electrical storage. There's plenty of money to be made changing the world, trying to compete in a commodity market- not so much.
Not a bad synonym for "speculation", methinks . . . or should that be "continued speculation" in Tesla's case?

Norm

Well, look at recent events, the US was finally energy independent, no longer funneling money to those in the Mideast who just love to finance terrorism and to shut the energy spigot off whenever they needed extra spending money, a total win win, for the US. So, nimrod gets in, starts shutting down pipelines projects and drilling permits, the US is no longer energy independent, then when crap hits the fan, he pleads to OPEC to sell us more oil, which they refuse, now a storm decimates the Gulf of Mexico, shutting down more oil production, fuel prices are up about 20% over last year, and we haven't hit peak use yet.
and somehow the media will spin this to show us why electric cars are somehow more dependable and cheaper, when in fact, we shot our own selves in the ***.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
“Everyone tells you what’s good for you. They don’t want you to find your own answers. They want you to believe theirs.” - Dan Millman

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I probably won't live to see it and I'll be damn happy not to!

Wishful propaganda. I am still waiting on the hoover craft vehicles which will replace the wheeled vehicles I was promised in grade school. If I remember correctly, all wheeled vehicles would be obsolete by the turn of the century......the last one. LOL.

I picked up my GT PE on Saturday. It's a blast to drive. Coming out of a corner you mash the throttle and LOL at the way it pulls. The Magna Ride is as advertised as well. It's clearly not a pony car, but for what it is, it's the complete package IMO. Oh and got to surprise and spank some modded Porsche on the way home.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I am too much of a rationalist, and I don't see any of this happening based on dates projected in the far future because history has shown a different progression on actual happenings. We have had numerous Political Parties working on Infrastructure Bills for decades and it is still not done. No blame on Democrats or Republicans it is an issue of both. Same thing with internet quality and speed in small town America ( I am 20 miles from Omaha and we are still on DSL ) still another work in progress. We, as a Nation , are becoming more and more concerned with things that in many cases will not even affect us in our lifetime, but now we are worrying about items well beyond our time on Earth.

There are things happening that I am not completely in favor of , but I try to remind myself of the things my grandparents worried about , especially since I am their age now. Having driven an EV I have to be honest and say I love the speed and they are fun. But realistically I watch the Sale of them in the Midwest and unlike the large population zones of our Country they are not flying out of Dealerships. Reality tells me it will be years and years before small towns in America's wide open spaces will have charging ports, let alone infrastructure to repair/fix /service electric vehicles , hence autonomous autos/trucks have a long way to go to take over these portions of the US.

Lastly, I am not as disturbed by change as so many are because understanding that change is disliked by the majority of humans ( takes them out of their comfort zone ) I also know history shows us it is a constant. What we are discussing here, progress in technology, was no different and was misunderstood by our parents or grandparents. With the growth of so many new road courses and the increase in participation in motorsports activities I just choose to believe that passion will be what dooms the complete takeover of autonomous machines ----especially in the wild open spaces of this Great Land.

Of course , I won't be around to find out anyway, the gray hairs are too prominent and arthritis is my new companion.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
From an NJMP email today:

December 2021

New Jersey Motorsports Park Electric Car Program​

New Jersey Motorsports Park (NJMP) is undertaking several investments and activities in support of the growing interest in electric vehicles among enthusiasts and in the community at large.
The first step has been the addition of two 63A Porsche Charging Stations to the Finish Line Pub parking area for use by our customers.
The second step is investment in training, equipment, risk analysis, and a pilot ‘All-Electric Car Track Day’ to thoroughly assess the opportunity to welcome electric cars on our racetracks in the future.

Electric cars present unique challenges for NJMP and Inspira Healthcare Emergency Services, its emergency response partner. The goal of allowing electric cars on track can only be achieved in line with NJMP’s long-standing commitments to the safety and well-being of its customers and employees, and stewardship of its two world-class racing circuits.

“Inspira Health is committed to health and safety of the participants, spectators, and staff at the New Jersey Motorsports Park. We are looking forward to the future of racing here in Millville, New Jersey and have focused our emergency training and equipment upgrades to meet the challenging requirements of electric vehicle management.” Said Jessica Shaw, Inspira Health Network Operations Manager

The multi-pronged program for the off-season will include:

• Training NJMP’s Executive Leaders, Track Operations Team, and Inspira Healthcare Emergency Services staff in safe handling and inspection of electric cars, fire control, and full safety procedures from scrutineering to incident response;
  • Investment by Inspira Healthcare Emergency Services in the special equipment required to respond to incidents involving electrics cars: special suits, gloves, fire vehicle upgrades, expanded water systems and other necessary new equipment;
  • Development of training programs and procedures for use by technical inspectors, corner workers, race control, and safety marshals;
  • Investigation and education for ourselves and our partners into the specific challenges electric cars present in the areas of fire management, safety equipment, technical inspections, vehicle shut off, battery management and handling, and track shutdowns;
  • Evaluating and defining the broader insurance and legal requirements electric cars may pose
At the conclusion of the program and investments describe above, we will begin to test our new training and safety programs. If we feel confident in our safety measures, we will be hosting an All-Electric Car Track Day in early 2022 to evaluate our services during a very controlled and monitored electric car track day.

While these efforts are underway, we will maintain our current policy which does not allow electric cars on our racetracks. However, the clear goal and hope for this program is to be able to allow electric cars going forward without compromising our high standards for safety or our infrastructure.

Best,

Brad Scott

President and Chief Operating Officer

New Jersey Motorsports Park

I just talked to some SCCA tech guys and there are MASSIVE problems with racing EVs. Not just from the extrication standpoint, but from battery containment runoff, and fire suppression. To do it right, it will take a considerable amount of investment in materials and training.

To do it right, it will take a considerable amount of investment in materials and training.
I suspect the NASCAR boys will run race fuel for as long as they can...this EV stuff goes a lot further than you think it does........a transition some say needs to happen....My Boss stays with me thru thick and thin...you can't find that growl with a battery...............................;)

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area

TMO Supporting Vendors