The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The track is 3-5 Seconds Faster!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Hopefully the title sucked you in, but I had to get this out to as many folks as possible because so many of you are considering coming the the " Fast Ford and Mustang Roundup " in September at Motorsport Park Hastings ( racemph.com). I was recently at the 13th Annual Viper Rendezvous event to help support the Woodhouse Auto Family group of Dealerships since like the " Mustang Roundup " they have sponsored this event since it's inception and it was my first experience to get some hard data on the newly paved track and the results are astounding! I have run this track since it was opened over 14 years ago and it has never, ever been this incredibly fast!! The door slammer track record was previously held by Bob Woodhouse ( yep., my old Boss ) with a time in the 1:27 range , until broken by a gentleman named Cable from Arizona ( AZ Boss knows him and will attest the dude is fast ) with a 1:26 time. We ole Bobby Woodhouse came up from Tejas to try and recapture the record and he slam dunked the record blowing away all the competition with an astounding 1:24 time on the 2.1 mile track ---insane.
Now ,here is the good news, since most of your are logical enough to understand that when on gets close to breaking records the improvements are always smaller ,though close to a two second jump would be a 20 car jump ahead showing the placement of the record holding cars last year to this is dramatic, the big news for the average guy was the track is .......................
....drum roll.................4-5 seconds faster.

Many of the attendees have been at the " Viper Rendezvous " event many years and they were seeing 3, 4 and even 5 second improvements in time on this quick little road course. The two seam process ( most road courses have 3 seams ) means the track is super smooth and the grip is flat crazy, but best of all the tire wear is very much on the low side. If you have been here in the past you have to get your butt back because to simply say the surface is faster is not nearly enough, the surface is state of the asphalt art supersonic and for you guys who are super competitive or just want practice there is a NASA event prior to the " Mustang Roundup." This place is fast with the notoriously wild turn 3 actually approaching speeds many have bragged they have turned in the past ( around 90 mph where a boo boo means you head into the alfalfa, ha ).

Time for a " Rule of Thumb " lesson, just to put things in perspective, because knowing this quick concept is not 100% accurate it is a easy way to gauge an increase in speed on a two mile road course. What one does is figure every 1 second improvement on a 2 mile course would equate to running 10 car lengths faster per lap. Now initially that does not sound dramatic, but take 10 laps and you are 100 car lengths ahead of what your previous time would have garnered you. Now.................................the track is easily between 3-5 seconds faster for almost everyone now running it after the repave and that means after 10 laps you would be between 300 to 500 lengths ahead of your prior position on the track! This also, of course, equates to more speed , but there will be new track records set this year and I imagine you would like to be part of that , whether a personal record or one for the MPH books!

Check out racemph.com for the Sept. 16-18 " Fast Fords and Mustang Roundup" ( go to the Track , not the Calendar ) to get to this " Bucket List " event and for those of you who want some practice before the Roundup check out drivenasacentral.com for the Central Region of NASA's August 27-28 HPDE, Time Trial , and Races at MPH.

MPH now stands for " Magnificent Pavement in Hastings!!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I forgot to mention that I was able, with my 4000 lb. Mach 1 ( full fuel and Chubby me in the cockpit ) to better my best time in my 3500 lb. ( fuel and chubby guy inside again ) Boss 302S ! Also the Mach is down 40+ max HP yet the new pavement allowed me to be quicker than said full blown Factory racer.

Just a little tidbit to demonstrate now why folks on here need to be looking for the info in early 2023 about the Mustang Roundup in Hastings. Turn 3 becomes even more invigorating with the stiction , and you can go through there at 90 mph --- with gumball tires and balls of steel, or...............substitute one listing below:

1. Balls of Fire
2. Swedish meatballs
3. Basketballs
4. Gonads of a Gorilla
5. a cornucopia of Cajones

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel