The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Through boltbroke in diff, fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I was going to build the limited slip unit in Superbeater, but when I tried to remove the through bolt thst hold the pin in place, it broke.
If this ever happens try fishing it out with a magnet first, in my case the center pin was galded , so what was left of the through bolt wasn't coming out. I went beast mode, using a punch and a hammer to try and force the pin out buy breaking the bolt off internally, but it was a no go.
I finally had to take the bull by the tail and face the situatio , I was able to sneak a grinder, with a cutoff wheel by the ring gear ( barely). I killed the carrier, but there was no way to get the center pin out to remove the axles.

20211227_102431.jpg

20211227_102426.jpg

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
So I was going to build the limited slip unit in Superbeater, but when I tried to remove the through bolt thst hold the pin in place, it broke.
If this ever happens try fishing it out with a magnet first, in my case the center pin was galded , so what was left of the through bolt wasn't coming out. I went beast mode, using a punch and a hammer to try and force the pin out buy breaking the bolt off internally, but it was a no go.
I finally had to take the bull by the tail and face the situatio , I was able to sneak a grinder, with a cutoff wheel by the ring gear ( barely). I killed the carrier, but there was no way to get the center pin out to remove the axles.

I feel your pain. One of the few bolts That seem to always be at best a 50/50 chance of breaking. I wonder if using the old flame wrench to give the case a bit of heat would help? The GM diff's used to have some nasty red paste thread locker on the replacement bolts, we would buff that off and use blue loctite.

Problem wit using flame is that the whole thing is saturated with oil, You can't get the center section out of the car at all, I felt it was just too risky, but it did cross my mind, along with a plasma cutter, but those fuel tanks are right there as well.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Problem wit using flame is that the whole thing is saturated with oil, You can't get the center section out of the car at all, I felt it was just too risky, but it did cross my mind, along with a plasma cutter, but those fuel tanks are right there as well.
Yea, you took the right approach. It's one of those jobs that just sucks. The JC bolt.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel