The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ti Brake Shields for GT350 Brakes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Now that aftermarket brake pads are becoming available it's time to source Ti brake shields. Many of us used them on the Boss 302/S197 cars with good results in saving seals. I checked Hard Brakes but couldn't find the proper size. Has anyone done any research on this?

@cloud9
@Black Boss
@KNS Brakes

It's funny, I was talking to one of my foreman today about getting the car track ready and mentioned it seemed the list never ends and I'd be lucky to have it ready by July. I keep forgetting all the things I did to my last two Mustangs.

As an engineer, I struggled with the use of backing plates on my 03 Cobra.

The heat has to go somewhere, right? Backing plates are going to increase the temperature of the pads and rotors during braking. That may be a good thing, or a bad thing, depending on where you are in the operating range. I never had enough data to know what the temperature of the rotors and pads were during braking.

The seals were relatively easy to replace on the Brembo calipers, so I decided to just replace them every year.

By the way, the backing plates don't need to be titanium. Most stainless steels, like 304 or 316, have a lower thermal conductivity than titanium and are considerably less expensive. Doesn't sound as cool though. :)

StigsBaldBrother said:
As an engineer, I struggled with the use of backing plates on my 03 Cobra.

The heat has to go somewhere, right? Backing plates are going to increase the temperature of the pads and rotors during braking. That may be a good thing, or a bad thing, depending on where you are in the operating range. I never had enough data to know what the temperature of the rotors and pads were during braking.

The seals were relatively easy to replace on the Brembo calipers, so I decided to just replace them every year.

By the way, the backing plates don't need to be titanium. Most stainless steels, like 304 or 316, have a lower thermal conductivity than titanium and are considerably less expensive. Doesn't sound as cool though. :)
Here's some info on the Ti they use, it's not straight Ti is 6AL-4V. Same stuff my Litespeed roadie is made of. ;D

https://hardbrakes.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=10&chapter=100

KNS Brakes

Supporting Vendor
Cary NC
I don't know how much @cloud9 has filled you in with this project but we are working very hard to get you guys some Titanium shims.

As of today here is where we stand:

- Drawings were completeed in AutoCAD
- Samples were cut out of cardboard on the lasercutter
- Samples are en route to my location to confirm fitment.

Will hope to having pricing for the fronts and rears in the coming hours.

Thanks,
Nick

KNS Brakes said:
I don't know how much @cloud9 has filled you in with this project but we are working very hard to get you guys some Titanium shims.

As of today here is where we stand:

- Drawings were completeed in AutoCAD
- Samples were cut out of cardboard on the lasercutter
- Samples are en route to my location to confirm fitment.

Will hope to having pricing for the fronts and rears in the coming hours.

Thanks,
Nick
@KNS Brakes Nick - We have a thread going on the group buy here: https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=11141.0

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
KNS Brakes said:
I'm sure we can make that happen, if you have any old pads send them to me snail mail and I'll get them drawn up and sent off to the titanium guys.
Thanks Nick, That is why I am a loyal KNS customer. I will try and wrangle up as many people as I can to buy them.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel