The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tig Welders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Australia
Who here has a Tig Welder?
Im looking at getting one as a beginner and learning to tig weld, i think mostly it will be aluminium to start off with but maybe also stainless later down track.
Well it looks like i have my eyes set either on the Unimig one or the Cigweld tig. I think both would be great but one is got to be better than the other one. What are your thoughts guys.
UNIMIG
CIGWELD

Not familiar with either of those, I'm guessing the brands in Oz are a bit different than here (outside of Miller and maybe Lincoln).

I went back and forth for a while on what to get, was originally set on an old syncrowave 250 as that's what I learned on 20yrs ago at work. And when they work they're killer, but I started looking up parts availability and its very slim/expensive so I then started looking at newer inverter TIG machines. In the states Everlast is probably the best known brand for Chinese manufactured inverter welders (which it seems both of your links are as well). some are DOA, and some seem to do fine for years, and I'm sure there's a middle ground as well for ones that start off fine and run into trouble. I ended up going with HTP (not sure if you have these in Oz) as its Italian made and feature wise pretty close to Miller and build quality from people who have torn them down seems very good as well. Price is about half of a Miller Dynasty, but about 20-30% more than an Everlast. I figured the extra I pay up front (relative to a Chinese machine) will either hopefully pay back in reliability/build quality if I keep it forever, or pay back in resale value if/when I sell it.

So I could have gotten into a machine for cheaper but decided to try and not save money now to potentially/probably give it back later. But lots of people buy Chinese machines and have no reliability issues years later, I just didn't want to take the gamble. Def not a bad move to get a Chinese machine, just something to consider.

Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Australia
Not familiar with either of those, I'm guessing the brands in Oz are a bit different than here (outside of Miller and maybe Lincoln).

I went back and forth for a while on what to get, was originally set on an old syncrowave 250 as that's what I learned on 20yrs ago at work. And when they work they're killer, but I started looking up parts availability and its very slim/expensive so I then started looking at newer inverter TIG machines. In the states Everlast is probably the best known brand for Chinese manufactured inverter welders (which it seems both of your links are as well). some are DOA, and some seem to do fine for years, and I'm sure there's a middle ground as well for ones that start off fine and run into trouble. I ended up going with HTP (not sure if you have these in Oz) as its Italian made and feature wise pretty close to Miller and build quality from people who have torn them down seems very good as well. Price is about half of a Miller Dynasty, but about 20-30% more than an Everlast. I figured the extra I pay up front (relative to a Chinese machine) will either hopefully pay back in reliability/build quality if I keep it forever, or pay back in resale value if/when I sell it.

So I could have gotten into a machine for cheaper but decided to try and not save money now to potentially/probably give it back later. But lots of people buy Chinese machines and have no reliability issues years later, I just didn't want to take the gamble. Def not a bad move to get a Chinese machine, just something to consider.
Yea we have here these which are well know and available in most hardware shops. Most of the items are made in china these days which is a sad reality.
There are 3 in 1 combos available where there is a stick, mig and tig all in 1, but i think a dedicated tig machine is got to be better already.
I think the fact that both of these machines offer 3yr warranty got too be a good thing and im sure if anything goes wrong especially on the 3rd year, there is a possibility that ill get a new machine as this one will be out of date for parts replacement.

I usually prefer to buy something that is a better quality as i know that it will last longer, but for a 1st time user this might be more than enough for me i think to learn and practice. Maybe later when i become a pro ;) ill get a new one..... HA HA HA

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel