The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Time to Mod... NEED HELP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok, my '13 LS has 48,000 miles on it, TracKey, LCA and brackets, ask. phb, Steeda springs, steeda HD CC Plates, Koni yellows, hood, wing, open front grilles, wheels/tires.

I also own a 2015 F150 so I don't need to be conservative on the Boss any more.

That being said... I AM LOOSING MY MIND!

With the GT350's out I want a some more power and better handeling. I was thinking about picking up a used Roush 2.3 TVS but just can't make up my mind on that or staying N/A.

I need your help!

Unless I do drag radials the TVS is overkill and hard to transfer to the ground. I only Road course the car a few times a year and drive it 100 mile round trip to work 2-3 times a week.

Things I want to keep:
Side pipes
Lopey idel (either through tune or cams)
Looks

Things I can give up:
Suspension I have already done
TracKey

So I am turning to the best Brain Trust I know asking for help.

Budget is $4k right now and can increase over time so if there are things you would do please list in order.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
This kinda of question is like blood in the water in a shark tank around here!!

I would go with headers, I think dynamax has a xpipe with side pipes (kooks are great),cobrajet manifold with big fat cai and gt500 TB. Then a Cortex coilover setup witb 18x11 Forgelines. With 315/30-18 gumballs....... I guess we are north of 5 grand already.

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
1. McLeod RXT Clutch and aluminum flywheel
2. Aluminum Driveshaft
3. Lightweight wheels (18x10 or 18x10.5 around 20lbs / BBS or Enkeis are right around 20lbs and won't break the bank).
4. Lightweight battery (I have a 9lb Braille battery)

This will save you a lot of weight and make the car faster, stop, and handle better.

-8lbs with the aluminum flywheel
-40lbs for the wheels (-10lbs per corner). I just weighed my stock wheels and tires in comparison with my Enkei PF01's and they save me 12lbs per corner. That's huge!
-25lbs (Approximate weight) for the battery
-25lbs for the driveshaft
-45lbs if you ditch the mufflers and go with a HeartThrob axle back exhaust. As long as you keep the resonators and cats it won't be too loud.

That's a total weight savings of almost 150lbs and most of it is rotational mass. That will make the car faster, believe me. I'm more about reliability so I have stuck with the trackkey tune. Too many stories of motors dying with aftermarket tunes. You can also delete the sound tube (another 2lbs or so) and if you want to get crazy you can delete the A/C and save another 50lbs off the front of the car. Put in a set of aftermarket race seats and you can save another 50lbs. I'm always trying to find ways to take weight out of the car. Remove all the trunk lining and the tire repair kit, that will save you another 15lbs or so. I think I've said enough

This is great. Keep it coming.

I have forgestar wheels 19x9 19x11. Separate wheels for the track (couple times a year) is a reasonable thing. I have a hitch/tow hook from blowfish installed and a harbor freight trailer to go to/from track.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I am a proponent for 18" wheels over the 19" wheels. The rotational mass is closer to the center of rotation which is also a benefit on top of weight savings and more tires readily available in 18 vs 19. SVE Drift makes an 18x10 that's $150 per wheel. They can be rotated to all four corners with no spacer required and they are strong and weigh 24lbs. You can run a 295 or 305 square setup with these wheels. You can also get the Enkei in 18x10.5 +43 offset and rotate them to all four corners with no spacer.

Mad Hatter said:
This kinda of question is like blood in the water in a shark tank around here!!
;D

Mad Hatter said:
I would go with headers, I think dynamax has a xpipe with side pipes (kooks are great),cobrajet manifold with big fat cai and gt500 TB. Then a Cortex coilover setup witb 18x11 Forgelines. With 315/30-18 gumballs....... I guess we are north of 5 grand already.

Exactly what I'd do. No problem keeping up with a GT350 with this setup. Don't forget the watts link.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Oh... I thought the track key is a little lean? Will be for sure with the headers... All of the above and a good tune from AED or Lund.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
VERY TRUE. Managed to do a MM 6PT roll bar, Corbeau seat and 6pt harness for less then 1500. Then had to pay 40% more for customs and shipping! But it is a must do upgrade.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
See!! Feeding frenzy of the track addicted.... I think the Boss would fine in the STREET/track department with good wheels and tires, a tranny fix, headers and Cobrajet manifold with the corresponding tune. You already have Konis and spings etc (though cortex stuff is great ::))

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I like this game! ;)
1. Headers and H or X that keep the side pipes.
2. Cortex/Koni Struts 300 to 350 lb/in. with offset option.
3. Custom offset 19x11 fronts to work with your existing rears. Gives you the ability to rotate, and have a sticky rear tire for the street. Or do the same with a new set of 18x11s.
4. IF that doesn't tap the budget. Add a CJ intake, TB and tune to make it work and rev to 8,200+.

Most people do road courses here and superchargers add heat and weight, which are not our best friends on track. Depending on where you live, you may have to do some cooling mods to alleviate the heat added by the supercharger.

But... if you're looking approval for the SC, post a thread in SVT, you'll get the approval and recommendation in a sec ;D :p

F.D. Sako said:
Most people do road courses here and superchargers add heat and weight, which are not our best friends on track. Depending on where you live, you may have to do some cooling mods to alleviate the heat added by the supercharger.

But... if you're looking approval for the SC, post a thread in SVT, you'll get the approval and recommendation in a sec ;D :p
So true. ;D

F.D. Sako said:

Not looking for approval at all. I do however want to get close to 500hp and since the car only sees the track a couple times a year, it is an option.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Remember removing weight from the car has the same effect as adding power but you also get other benefits. Better handing, braking, transitions, weight distribution, etc.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Every thing is relative I guess, I have not done much to the motor but every season going a little faster as I slowly improve my driving skills with about 20 events a year (+/- 25 hours) . Having an extra 100hp to the wheels would be nice now, but I think it would have gotten me into trouble a year ago. I compete against three ZL1's and they have had no heat problems, but thats a factory setup. I think a race gas tune and the Cobrajet manifold and CAI setup would be about all I want for next season...... Probably after I get a autoblip setup!! Shows were the priorities lie!!

TMO Supporting Vendors