The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tire poke question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
So today I started installing my "new" 20s set up. Purchased them for a smoking deal with her mile Goodyear Supercar r3 to try the rubber and see how I like the 20s vs 18s as an option for the street trim. Current set up is Apex 18x9.5 with spacers to clear the Brembos. But I am looking at a TON of tire poke with the 20s (and spacers). Looks odd, pretty sure i don't like it.

Going back outside to fit the other side and remove the spacers and see how that looks / fits, but in the mean time, it anyone running 20x10s and 305 width? Have any pics of your poke? Heck, even the rears poke out a bit, but that looks good. The 20s also raise the car up more than I expected without filling in the wheel well.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Looks like it doesn't matter. After staring at the stance for a while, I really started to like the look. Had to keep the spacers in to clear the Brembos, but on full lock, they rub on the fender as well as the wheel wells.

It was a risk when I purchased... oh well. This does mean when I get the new Apex 18x11s wrapped, they will poke a lot as well.

Not sure on the offset, purchased used. They don't seem to carry them any more and they are installed and Im done screwing with them for today! :)

Offsets should be stamped on the back of the wheel. This was my 2009 with a 20x10 +40 with a 7mm spacer to clear the calipers making the fronts a +33 offset. I only had 285/30-20's on them, 305's wouldn't have been that much wider or taller.

37426270042_ba2f4f53ed_o.jpg
36328069096_73a7d6efa1_o.jpg

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Offsets should be stamped on the back of the wheel. This was my 2009 with a 20x10 +40 with a 7mm spacer to clear the calipers making the fronts a +33 offset. I only had 285/30-20's on them, 305's wouldn't have been that much wider or taller.

View attachment 79190
View attachment 79191

Thanks, looking at that, the offset on mine are definitely different. I need to pull the wheels off and look tomorrow or so, cause the fit is much different. When on full lock, it rubs on the fender and wheel well. And thats just sitting in the driveway, definitely cannot drive it. But when pointed forward, there is plenty of space, Im stumped how yours doesn't rub.

IMG_3221.JPG

IMG_3227.JPG

IMG_3228 2.JPG

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Definitely way off. How thick are the spacers? Check the offset stamp when you pull the wheels off.

Gonna fight it tomorrow after I go to the range, will look for a stamp. Right now have a ton of clearance from the calipers. Tried it yesterday with NO spacers and a small one is needed, the wheel spokes just barely touch the caliper, so don't spin freely. But with the 1in there is a huge gap.

First - driver clearance straight ahead
Second - passenger contact when turning left (no fender rub on right side when turning left).
3rd - left turn, driver fender rub on top and rub on wheel well on backside of well

IMG_3229.JPG

IMG_3231.JPG

IMG_3230.JPG

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
I'm wondering if a smaller spacer would get the clearance (5 or 10 MM). $100 for a smaller spacer to use for the life of these tires is better than having to buy rubber for the 18x11 now (really just delaying that expense). I hate the idea of going back to stock height and readjusting steering, I like the "fairly firm" set up the Steeda Sports offer.

I am no direct help, but this is my car with 18x12 +24 and 30mm front spacer. 315/30-18 tires. My ride height might be a bit higher than yours and I have a metric ton more camber (-3.6 front, -1.5 rear) but despite the poke, these do not rub except when cranked full tight lock and you hit a bump. It also does not rub with 335/30-18 Hoosiers on the same wheels

301724776_1991605437895077_7357203677937099212_n.jpg

That big poke works with shorty 18" wheels and tires and DaveW your car looks awesome! With his extra wide/tall 20" tires, no way.

OP - Maybe take the 1" spacer off and replace with a 3mm one so the spokes clear the calipers?

Also, might just be the camera angle, but are the wheels the same size/offset front and rear? The rear ones seem to have more concavity and when you mentioned that the rub is different from side to side, I was wondering if maybe you have different spec wheels on each side.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Don’t drive it far, but!! Use a few large washers stacked on the studs to Test fitment. If you find something that works, measure the washer stack and order a spacer.

That big poke works with shorty 18" wheels and tires and DaveW your car looks awesome! With his extra wide/tall 20" tires, no way.

OP - Maybe take the 1" spacer off and replace with a 3mm one so the spokes clear the calipers?

Also, might just be the camera angle, but are the wheels the same size/offset front and rear? The rear ones seem to have more concavity and when you mentioned that the rub is different from side to side, I was wondering if maybe you have different spec wheels on each side.

So update, minimal spacers inserted, fronts simply don't fit with my lowered stance. With the 20s and 2MM worth of washer spacers, they rub the wells and I expect they will bind on the lower spring perch on the inside as well. And thats all just sitting. So I am seeing no way to get the 20s up front with my springs. Really like the red look on the rear. Already posted the wheels to sell locally, but wondering about staggered and finding 18/19s for the front and going that route. Luke at TireRack also suggested I consider a 305/30/20, and see if that resolves the front issue.

@Champale , I looked and verified, same 4 wheels all around, camera trick based on angle.

Last edited:
20's aren't your issue. It's width, spoke pattern, and offsets. If I can fit the 20x10's with a much lower stock width spring than you, there's nothing stopping you from fitting 20's if you get the spacing right. Also if you're using camber bolts to dial in your camber you'll reduce your tire to spring clearance vs a set of camber plates up top. On my car I actually used the camber plates for my negative camber, but used camber bolts to take some camber back out and give myself some more tire to spring clearance. This was more because I already had the hardware and could, vs actually needing to do this.

Did you ever look inside the wheel spokes to see what the stamped offsets and wheel diameter are? Should see a 20x10J on one spoke and a +25 or +40 on another spoke.

You can see how tight I ran my spoke to caliper clearance on a 20x10 +33 setup. The mesh style setup below is a 20x10 +48mm but again with a 285/30-20 setup. You're running a 305/35/20 which is way too tall for an S197.

My GT500 came with 285/40-18's with an overall diameter of 26.97"
In the picture i've share my 285/30-20's have a diameter of 26.77"
Your tires on your car are a 305/35-20 with a diameter of 28.43" - over an inch and a half larger in overall diameter than stock or what I was running.

If you were to buy a 305/30-20 for the car you would be at 27.24" which would still be wider than companies like Nitto recommend on a 10" wheel, but at least your overall diameter would be within half an inch of what your car should have.

In the end your offsets are probably a bit off, but could be corrected, but the big issue is that your tires are way too tall for your setup and the correct tires in a 305 would be too large for that 10" wheel (nitto is fine with the a 305/35 on a 10" because of the sidewall height, but recommends a 10.5" for a 305/30). Sell these off, take the information from this thread, and go buy a better fitting combo.

20170323_182023.jpg

FB_IMG_1471216717826.jpg

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel