The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TMO Member comes to the rescue of another -- both trophy at the SCCA Solo Spring Nationals!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The National Solo Tour ( Autocross ) held this past Memorial Day weekend saw the F Stock Class dominated by TMO members, though the event did not start with such a positive beginning. TMO member, Emery Seaton ( CAMT National Champion for 2022 ) found his Fox Body beast not starting correctly and that meant both he and his dad, Brent , were left wondering what to do with the electrical glitch sidelining the car that took Emery to the National win. The great thing about amateur motorsports is that so often the friends you make at the track/course end up being more than just casual acquaintances. Hearing of the dilemma TMO member Brian Meyer came to the rescue for Emery and Emery's dad found another participant to let him share his car ( albeit in a different class and not a Mustang ,ha ).
The battle ensued on Sunday with Emery putting down some solid times and keeping F Stock National Champion Sam Stano on his toes. The Sunday course was a fast, constant transition course that lent itself to plenty of cone decimation, and Emery was working to become the King Cone Killer! National Champ against National Champ, he kept Strano honest but he only had one clean run on both Sunday and Monday. He still would not have beaten Strano, who in typical fashion was Mr. Consistent with only one cone destruction run on both days. Meyer seemed to be reveling in the great runs Emery was having and he confided he could not get the rhythm of the Sunday Course and he found himself down in 5th spot on Sunday - one spot out of the trophies.
Monday dawned with threats of rain that never materialized and Brian found the course very much to his liking. Realizing he was likely too far back to catch Strano and Seaton, he was still fired up knowing vaulting just one driver would get him into a trophy position at the even commonly referred to as the " Spring Nationals " as it draws top drivers from around the US and even Canada. He confidently went out and ran a fast 60 second run and he jumped not one , but two spots , making it possible for him to end up in third. That first solid run was his story as he boldly attacked the course in his second and third runs just a bit too aggressively and he would have to sit and sweat out his competitor's runs since his Bronze Medal hung on the balance of others. Emery continued to pulverize pylons, but like Brian he laid down a super solid first run and that kept him securely behind Sir Strano.
Strano, with too many National Championships to count realized how lucky he was to get by the CAMT Champion Seaton who had never driven Meyer's GT 350 before, but he again proved his mettle under tough competition. His well prepared Mach 1 ( with the quite rare handling package ) again proved to be a strong ticket for F Street domination and the cool part is the top three spots all went to Mustangs and.............................TMO members!!

Congrats to Strano, Seaton and Meyer and it just shows you meet the nicest people racing !!

To add a little bit, Emery was planning on running the Pro in the Seaton CAMT Stang but took my car and just friggn won it all in S3! He laid down a killer 47.X run that Sam couldn't match and backed it up again with a lower 47.X run although with a cone. Still good enough to take the win and a top 10 overall Pax time - in a car he had never even sat in until the previous day.

Fellow FS GT350 guy and great dude Tim Mason dived into the wiring harness on Monday after working H5 and was able to finally find the problem (blown anti-theft fuse wouldn't let the PCM wake up from key-on) so Brent was able to drive the car onto the trailer and get it home for more diagnosis and repair. I think we'll see the Fox body with Shelby motor shaking the ground again real soon. Tim was a real wizard in solving the problem, much impressed.

Sam and we both struggled with getting the Bridgestones to work in the heat. Lots of cars were having problems with hot tires by the end of the later runs. We were spraying them a lot between runs and they seemed to be cooled down but I think the heat from the concrete and the OPR buildup on the tires was making them much less grippy as the runs went on. I still like them but will be trying more cooling and probably scraping them between runs for the future.

Overall it was a great long weekend. Can't wait for Nationals!

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
To add a little bit, Emery was planning on running the Pro in the Seaton CAMT Stang but took my car and just friggn won it all in S3! He laid down a killer 47.X run that Sam couldn't match and backed it up again with a lower 47.X run although with a cone. Still good enough to take the win and a top 10 overall Pax time - in a car he had never even sat in until the previous day.

Fellow FS GT350 guy and great dude Tim Mason dived into the wiring harness on Monday after working H5 and was able to finally find the problem (blown anti-theft fuse wouldn't let the PCM wake up from key-on) so Brent was able to drive the car onto the trailer and get it home for more diagnosis and repair. I think we'll see the Fox body with Shelby motor shaking the ground again real soon. Tim was a real wizard in solving the problem, much impressed.

Sam and we both struggled with getting the Bridgestones to work in the heat. Lots of cars were having problems with hot tires by the end of the later runs. We were spraying them a lot between runs and they seemed to be cooled down but I think the heat from the concrete and the OPR buildup on the tires was making them much less grippy as the runs went on. I still like them but will be trying more cooling and probably scraping them between runs for the future.

Were you at the Midiv in KC a few weeks ago?

Yes, were you the guy whose GoPro charger I took and marked up? If so, I'm happy to swap with my clean one of the same model I think. I'm still feeling horrible about that.

That MiDiv event was so cold... I couldn't get heat into the tires at all. Spring Nats we had the opposite problem.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Yes, were you the guy whose GoPro charger I took and marked up? If so, I'm happy to swap with my clean one of the same model I think. I'm still feeling horrible about that.

That MiDiv event was so cold... I couldn't get heat into the tires at all. Spring Nats we had the opposite problem.
Nope, not me. I don't think we've met. I was driving my 2002 in CAM-T.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Meyer is damn fast too ( he has won the NRSCCA Pro Class during our Regional Events ) and thanks for updating things Brian concerning the Pro Solo. I got there late to watch but did not know you guys did quite well. Still, such a cool gesture from you to help Emery and it really shows the spirit of the sport is alive and well in the Midwest.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
North Iowa
Sounds like an entertaining battle. Did Emery figure out anything on the Fox?
Figured out that the anti theft fuse popped, no idea what popped it tho still have to dive deeper. Haven’t had that problem in a long time. Tim Mason was able to diagnose it with us. Huge thank you to him for taking the time to track it back to that dumb fuse which we thought we checked.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
North Iowa

Thanks again for letting me drive the Shelby it’s was sickkkk!

TMO Supporting Vendors