The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Too much Spring?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Hello,

So I have been considering increasing my spring rates without going to coilovers for now. Coincidentally, Steeda just released a Rear ride height kit which allows stiffer rear spring. I know Mike Maier has had something like this for years but is usually offered with JRi shocks. I currently have BMR handling (250F/980R) with FRPP dampers. Still trying to figure out the front, but do you think a spring rate of 1200 -1300 in the rear will be too much for the rear shocks?

MSS Suspension has front height adjustable kit so same question for that . Will a front spring of 350+ be too much for the fdront dampers? I feel like if the FRPP dampers are not enough then the next option will be either the Bilsteins or custom and at that point you might as well get coilover.

And thoughts?

new Steeda kit

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
FRPP kit is very very good/capable.....but it will be challenged to control rebound energies for @ 300+ F / 1100# R springs during *general* track use.

Steeda sells their dual rate comp springs (Hyperco) and Pro-action (koni yellow) adjustable struts/shocks with this sort of spring rate and with sufficient range of rebound damping control.

While they are not coil-overs, they do provide decent wheel travel and they are a solid choice for *general* trackday applications. I've used and like them - cost-effective, w/o being overly complex to optimize your set-up..

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
Hello,

So I have been considering increasing my spring rates without going to coilovers for now. Coincidentally, Steeda just released a Rear ride height kit which allows stiffer rear spring. I know Mike Maier has had something like this for years but is usually offered with JRi shocks. I currently have BMR handling (250F/980R) with FRPP dampers. Still trying to figure out the front, but do you think a spring rate of 1200 -1300 in the rear will be too much for the rear shocks?

MSS Suspension has front height adjustable kit so same question for that . Will a front spring of 350+ be too much for the fdront dampers? I feel like if the FRPP dampers are not enough then the next option will be either the Bilsteins or custom and at that point you might as well get coilover.

And thoughts?

new Steeda kit
You already have to much spring figure out how to get your fronts to match ;) 250F is not enough even for street tires. Glad you posted the rear adjustable ride height system though. I read about it today and thing is a good alternative to the drama I had going with the rear springs and cutting control arms for the Ohlins. This Steeda kit might solve this. Also do someone know if Mach 1 Rear Control Arms can fit on a S550 GT in my case a 2017 ?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
FRPP kit is very very good/capable.....but it will be challenged to control rebound energies for @ 300+ F / 1100# R springs during *general* track use.

Steeda sells their dual rate comp springs (Hyperco) and Pro-action (koni yellow) adjustable struts/shocks with this sort of spring rate and with sufficient range of rebound damping control.

While they are not coil-overs, they do provide decent wheel travel and they are a solid choice for *general* trackday applications. I've used and like them - cost-effective, w/o being overly complex to optimize your set-up..
Thank you very much! I will look into I, but being that I have an okay st up, I may just hold out until the funds are there for coilovers if that's the case. Thanks again.

You already have to much spring figure out how to get your fronts to match ;) 250F is not enough even for street tires. Glad you posted the rear adjustable ride height system though. I read about it today and thing is a good alternative to the drama I had going with the rear springs and cutting control arms for the Ohlins. This Steeda kit might solve this. Also do someone know if Mach 1 Rear Control Arms can fit on a S550 GT in my case a 2017 ?
Yea I thought I sent you the MMI rear adjustment some time ago when you were having issues with your rear set up. I was going to but Ohlins but after that and then MMI rear adjustment, I figured I might as well get MCS TT1.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
Thank you very much! I will look into I, but being that I have an okay st up, I may just hold out until the funds are there for coilovers if that's the case. Thanks again.

Yea I thought I sent you the MMI rear adjustment some time ago when you were having issues with your rear set up. I was going to but Ohlins but after that and then MMI rear adjustment, I figured I might as well get MCS TT1.

Not only that check out my build thread the Ohlins get oily after the first track day ... Better go with MCS TT1 I didn't have a way to source them easy in Europe which is why I want with Ohlins. Regarding the back issues it's noticable movement on track so I think I will not look for solution there yet.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Scottsdale
I am running all Steeda with 275 fronts and the 900-1000 rears. I use the large front adjustable front bar set on medium and the rear adjustable bar on soft. According to Steeda, they told me I could go up to 300 in front but would not want much more. From their testing and success, I went with what they suggested and my car is not too stiff to drive to the track but handles really well and it super balanced on the track. If I was running on rovals, I would step up the spring rates a little but for most tracks, the spring rates are great.

TMO Supporting Vendors