The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Torch Red 07 GT Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unfortunately due to work and COVID the car set dormant for 18 months or so. It started to throw codes for the cats, so I decided to start the tear down mechanically this summer. My plans for the summer so far are

1. Whiteline adjustable suspension components throughout (all parts have arrived!)
  2. Ground control coil overs (hopefully these will arrive by the end of July)
  3. Brembo front brake upgrade (all parts have arrived!)
  4. New rear calipers and such, but I did decide to stay with the stock rear rotor diameter. I will see how it feels. (all parts have arrived!)
  5. The pypes cat back after the x pipe sounded good, but the drone at cruising speeds was horrible. I decided to go with the Borla S-Type bullet style axle back while I was replacing the cats and had everything else open, so I will see how that goes for drone. (all parts arrived!)
  6. Unfortunately the only part on the car showing any marketable amount of corrosion is the rear end. The uncoated axle tubes Ford was sending out really suck. I have decided to pull this out, sand blast it and rebuild with a new Eaton LSD, bushings, bearings, etc. (all parts have arrive! but ... corrosion on the tubes is making me question a Moser maybe)
  7. New MGW shifter and bushing for the transmission (all parts have arrived! but I may have a harder look at the clutch)
  8. I need to buy the parts for a remote overflow can for the rear end, but it is on the to do list.
  9. I am working front to back, so other then the Whiteline adjustable sway bar for the front I have not started on a lot of the parts yet, but it will be on the to do list once the rear is completed.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
FWIW, I haven't heard of any issues due to the uncoated rear end. Doesn't mean they don't happen, but I don't think coating it is a must do.

FWIW, I haven't heard of any issues due to the uncoated rear end. Doesn't mean they don't happen, but I don't think coating it is a must do.
Hi @ChrisM,

Unfortunately in the North East with the snow, salt, and sand they are one of the first things to rust out (car or truck). I got rid of my 2011 F150 in 2016 due to the frame already showing heavy corrosion areas (my fault for not keeping up with painting or coating it). The car when I bought it appears to be well taken care of by the first owner, but it looks like the second owner who was a young kid may have had it in the winter in MA as there was a fair bit of sand in areas. From the history I think he owned it less than a year before getting rear ended.

One of the spring perches on this is corroded through and under the sticker on the passenger side there is about 20 to 30% of thinning in the tubing wall.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors