The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Toyota not all in with EVs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I never thought I would agree with Toyota, if I were a fly in their board meetings, I bet I would hear something like, "we are the world's biggest auto manufacturer, electrics can't possibly work worldwide, which is our market". Interestingly it would seem like EVs would mpst likely work in a country like Japan which has a high degree of infrastructure, and their society is used to being highly regulated, the geography would seem to favor an EV system as well. Apparently their government is not into paying off their vehicle manufacturers to get on the greenpeace party bus.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Smart move and there are other Manufacturers with the exact thoughts , though they are not broadcasting it as much as Toyota. Common sense says one might want to be a little less open on future plans because the changing climate with US Buyers is so fickle who knows what will be the key product in 10 years. I think Hybrids will be the way to go just because I am convince the Infrastructure pace in America and Canada actually runs at a pace in reality, that the EV transformation will take much longer than imagined. Western Kansas , Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas , along with expanses in North and South Dakota, Montana and Wyoming, to name a few , have population centers that struggle to support basic services and there will just not be grids in place for a very long time. Heck, there are many spots that are still without fiber optic cable set ups.

Toyota is big enough and bold enough to actually say what others are aware will happen in the real World. No doubt EV will be the main wave of the future, but getting everywhere will take a long period of time ---- I don't expect to see it happen in my lifetime.

I don't expect to see it happen in my lifetime.
Bill, you and me may live longer than we think.....I hope.........I believe most people are worried about battery life driving range with EVs...How do you charge the battery if you are in the middle of nowhere.....A gas car might be in the same dilemma, but an AAA truck could help there..............Once Battery concerns are out of the equation EVs will become the norm........My Boss begs to differ, of course.....;);)................there's that freakin wink,again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
There are too many problems to overcome with going all electric. The technology isn't there to make it a solution for everyone. We all know the infrastructure isn't there and will take decades to build out once they decide on what it is going to be. A national lab near me is working on in road charging similar to the race tracks we had when we were kids. I don't see it being practical. It takes years to build a mile of road. Imaging trying to energize all of them. I don't see the transition happening in my life time and I even younger than @PatrickStapler. :)

EBVs are a great idea and solution to our world today,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but more work has to be done for that to happen....................even I'll press the button when that happens.......if I'm still around..LOL..................

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Interesting note at the end of the article regarding mining & refining capability of battery materials vs. projected demand of those materials based on car companies' EV sales projections / desires. Apply the law of supply & demand to battery pricing (and effect on EV pricing) as you see fit.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
There are too many problems to overcome with going all electric. The technology isn't there to make it a solution for everyone. We all know the infrastructure isn't there and will take decades to build out once they decide on what it is going to be. A national lab near me is working on in road charging similar to the race tracks we had when we were kids. I don't see it being practical. It takes years to build a mile of road. Imaging trying to energize all of them. I don't see the transition happening in my life time and I even younger than @PatrickStapler. :)
While these knuckleheads are dreaming of electrifying the roads they might as well add in the slot so the morons can at least stay in their lane. the cars would be equipped with pins front and rear, the front pin would need to be a fin shape to clean debris from the slot. Lastly the pins would only retract for a lane change or exit with the use of the appropriate turn signal. 🤣

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
While these knuckleheads are dreaming of electrifying the roads they might as well add in the slot so the morons can at least stay in their lane. the cars would be equipped with pins front and rear, the front pin would need to be a fin shape to clean debris from the slot. Lastly the pins would only retract for a lane change or exit with the use of the appropriate turn signal. 🤣
I don't think electrifying the roads is a good idea by any means. The time and cost isn't worth the savings. Then you throw in winters with salt, freezing, thawing and roads heaving and I see a maintenance nightmare.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I wonder what the power would be with 20 Energizer Bunnies under the hood ---- rabbits are quite fast as we all know. Heck, in just a few months that power might even multiply , making for real electric procreation.

Yes, I have too much time on my hands today, so Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate these Holidays.

Yes, I have too much time on my hands today, so Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate these Holidays.
Bill..........Having more time than you need is tons better than running out of it...........don't ask me how I know!!!!!!!!!!!........the big rain/wind storm is leaving now...50's now but teens and snow squalls in an hour or two......The Boss (in the garage) don't care................me either..................we had sun earlier..now dark and gloomy again with more raindrops...........

My first car was a 1969 Corolla with a 1100 CC engine...........If you translated that to cubic inches you might end up with a negative number............LOL...........I could race with my Mother's sewing machine.......................it was a 4 spd........................the car, that is..................

That's one of the issues with Tesla, the feds are allowing green credits, so Tesla is selling the to the Big 3, that is a massive amount of their income, I think at one time nearly 50%. So it's not just the car, it's manipulation of the funding as well.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
I don't think electrifying the roads is a good idea by any means. The time and cost isn't worth the savings. Then you throw in winters with salt, freezing, thawing and roads heaving and I see a maintenance nightmare.
Dude…it’s all paid for. It won’t cost taxpayers one red cent…or is that one dime???

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Dude…it’s all paid for. It won’t cost taxpayers one red cent…or is that one dime???
Patrick are you drinking the same Kool aid as Joe Biden? The temperature dropped into the single digits here and the power has been flickering on and off every 10 minutes or so all day. In areas around us they are implementing rolling black outs due to the high electrical demand. Imagine if we were all charging cars as well. At least the fires from the lithium batteries would keep the pipes from freezing.

TMO Supporting Vendors