The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V TR-3650 rebuilders?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

As y'all may recall, I'm building an '06 GT into an endurance road racer. It seems that the transmission, which has 140,000+ miles on it, has a throw-out bearing that needs replacing. I've called all the local transmission shops and none of them want to rebuild it, either because they don't want to touch a transmission that's going to be used for racing—even though we're keeping the engine mostly stock—or because they have trouble getting parts for them. Most have suggested getting a remanufactured unit.

Any recommendations on remanufacturers? I'm seeing prices from $800 to $3,800, but not a lot of details on what the different companies are doing.

We're not planning on any engine mods, other than some intake / exhaust work, and maybe cams, so I don't need a transmission that's going to handle 1,000 (or even 500) horsepower. Thanks!

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Los Angeles
As y'all may recall, I'm building an '06 GT into an endurance road racer. It seems that the transmission, which has 140,000+ miles on it, has a throw-out bearing that needs replacing. I've called all the local transmission shops and none of them want to rebuild it, either because they don't want to touch a transmission that's going to be used for racing—even though we're keeping the engine mostly stock—or because they have trouble getting parts for them. Most have suggested getting a remanufactured unit.

Any recommendations on remanufacturers? I'm seeing prices from $800 to $3,800, but not a lot of details on what the different companies are doing.

We're not planning on any engine mods, other than some intake / exhaust work, and maybe cams, so I don't need a transmission that's going to handle 1,000 (or even 500) horsepower. Thanks!
I've rebuilt mine myself a few times. 5th gear change to 0.81 is worth it. I'm waiting on a close ratio gear set from G-Force for the next evolution. Use actual tremec parts from Hanlon Motorsports or off of ebay once you find the part numbers. Only problem I had was when I used Synchrotech blocker rings, they fell apart, so stay away from those. I also put in a billet 3-4 shifter fork, I bent the stock one after 4 seasons of racing it.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal

@Don Lariviere mentioned Hanlon above for parts - they also sell different stages of rebuilt transmissions - link below. @Andrew Weidemann has been using a Hanlon in his Shelby GT - I’m sure he can provide some feedback.

https://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/product/05-10-tr-3650-5-speed-transmission/

T45, but you will run into some of the same challenges, you can rebuild them yourself, just be patient and work through it, there is a lot of tips in this post.

Take a look at Lashbrook. I like their pricing and turnaround times.
They offer a mid-priced option, but again not a lot of details on what separates it from a $1,300 rebuild. They do offer parts, though! If I end up dealing with a company that doesn't require a core, then Lashbrook could be a good source for parts to rebuild the original as a spare.

Thanks!

T45, but you will run into some of the same challenges, you can rebuild them yourself, just be patient and work through it, there is a lot of tips in this post.

Thanks! The Lucky Dog rules would allow us to swap in the T45, but if we ever want to run in any of the NASA or SCCA classes I think we'd be out of luck, so at this point I'm going to try to stick with the 3650.

In fact, now I'm just leaning towards a new clutch and throw-out bearing and calling it good until it pops.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Los Angeles
I put this flywheel in my 2008 American Iron car with a Spec stage 4 unsprung disk. That alone made a huge improvement is shifting of the 3650.

If you run a sprung hub it may not work with this flywheel - measure everything!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel