The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track camber question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hi, most of our small tracks are usually with the major curves to the left. My competition is very keen on setting up the camber for each track with lots of neg camber on the right side and almost none on the left. I tried it but found it hard to control if the car needed a correction too a slide or pending spin. I feel better with the camber the same on both sides, but should I get used too setting the camber in favor of the more important curves?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I will check my track log for temps (left the book with a friend) but I remeber they were even accross the surface of the tires with even camber on both sides. Have to check what they were with the odd camber settings.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Asymmetrical camber settings will help with grip on the turns that you are setting it for and of course hurt the opposite handed turns. Where you are seeing the issues that may cost more than you gain is in stability under braking. The wheel with less camber will grip better under braking and cause a "pull" to that direction, if you trail brake the rotation will be greater making the car feel twitchy. This is all incremental, shouldn't be light switch dramatic but at the limit it could bite. I have thought of doing this myself as us NASCAR guys love setting up cars with bias but I don't think my skill level is high enough that the benefit would outweigh the risks.
Steve

Unless a track has some characteristic where setting up the suspension to optimize it so outweighs a setup tuned to the rest of the track, I'd go with what the tires are telling you they want.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thanks everyone. I am just a rookie still so will go back to my even camber. No where near Nascar level down here!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel