The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track day in-car camera mount

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm looking for suggestions for an in-car camera mount for track days for my GT350. I already have a Go-Pro mounted on the windshield for the track view, but I would like a second camera that's keeping an eye on my atrocious driving inputs.

Preferably, I would be able to use it with a passenger in the car, but that may be asking too much.

Anybody have any suggestions?

edit: It's amazing what a little more searching will do:
https://shifteck.myshopify.com/coll...s/seat-mounted-camera-mount-for-ford-mustangs

Has anybody tried it?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
I use something similar:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/812110-REG/CruiseCam_CRUISE_1_Short_Bar_Headrest_Camera.html

For my 2014 without Recaro seats, but the concept is the same. I modified mine to remove that big rubber block that was designed to bracket an old-school camcorder, lol. I also add a anti-vibration mount adapted from a drone camera mount since I had vibrations (especially audio) coming through the seat & headrest bars. Since the one you linked to seems to be mounted on the padded portion of the seat you probably won't have that problem.

I'm looking for suggestions for an in-car camera mount for track days for my GT350. I already have a Go-Pro mounted on the windshield for the track view, but I would like a second camera that's keeping an eye on my atrocious driving inputs.

Preferably, I would be able to use it with a passenger in the car, but that may be asking too much.

Anybody have any suggestions?

edit: It's amazing what a little more searching will do:
https://shifteck.myshopify.com/coll...s/seat-mounted-camera-mount-for-ford-mustangs

Has anybody tried it?

I bought one. Had it on pre order since February. Just got it recently as they finally were released. I’ll be running with it this week for the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used my shifteck mount a day or two after I finally received it. The seat jiggles quite a bit and my old GoPro has kind of poor image stabilization. I'd like to try the Virb inside the car instead, it's a lot more stable.

I used my shifteck mount a day or two after I finally received it. The seat jiggles quite a bit and my old GoPro has kind of poor image stabilization. I'd like to try the Virb inside the car instead, it's a lot more stable.

That's pretty close to the view I was looking for. Is it mounted to the passenger seat?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Is COTA that bumpy ? Nice video

I've never been (hopefully someday)...I just like the video and his tips on getting around the track. I set my camera up similarly to to his when I went to Track Attack. Adam was nice enough to send me his GoPro settings. My video came out pretty nice.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
MN
Resurrecting an old thread to get new ideas since its been 4 years since this was started.

Bought my 1st action camera(these just came out right? :rolleyes:), trying to move away from the trackaddict app and into the 2020's since I'm tired of the phone corrupting my microSD before uploading to YT, plus stabilization was terrible. BTW, I got an AKASO Brave 7 LE ... not a GoPro 11, but certainly a step closer to better video. At $111 it was worth a try even if I have to fumble through it.

Regardless, I have Recaro's which means no seat(headrest) mount and I have no plans to install a roll bar. I'm not a fan of the helmet mount as I'd prefer a stationary POV. Is a passenger window or quarter window suction mount the best option still today? Technology and their accessories move ahead at lightning speed and I'm aways 10 years behind.

BTW, I miss me some Norm Peterson

Why not just attach it to the front windshield pointing forward? Every modern action camera I can think of uses a focal length and lens that provides a wide capture angle (usually beyond 90 degrees), so you should still have your entire view outside. If it ends up mounted upside-down, just flip the footage in an editor prior to uploading it (since I assume you'd be cutting your footage anyways).
One of the few times having a glass roof is handy, pic below from years ago just for the laughs.

WATRacingDeluxeCameraMountingSystem.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors