The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Time Videos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
I forgot my damp but drying Watkins Glen short session! I think this combined with that dry session I posted earlier combined made this my new favorite track and course configuration.. unpopular opinion, but it's just such fast corners, the rhythm is easier to find...

I took a student out for my first session since he had never run long or short course. So, a well tuned ear can here me call out what I'm doing.. particularly, warning my student to do as I say and not as I do in regards to curbs on a wet track...

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
If one of you watches this whole video, something is WRONG with YOU!

i was participating in an open track event prior to a wedding. I gassed up at the track, drove on course. and proceeded to drive until the car was empty. It took 24 laps, but may have had enough gas for a 25th.

Based on the tires getting greasy on a 16 lap run earlier that day, I also dropped 2 psi per tire to set up for going long. It took about 4 laps to get in a groove. a fast lap for me this day was a mid 2:14, so I targeted low to mid 2:15s.

for easter eggs, there is a caution for geese on the track and a debris flag for a turtle.

theres a video of a groundhog playing in the tire barriers from this weekend too.

We just need to close VIR and make it a wildlife refuge

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
Heres two videos no one will watch in their entirety...

Context - I was at a small private event for a wedding (8 hours open track with the wedding coming 1 hr after track closes!) I was also a classroom instructor with no student... so doing 2.5 classes and a check in for one group kept me occupied Saturday. Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday was rainy. Sunday was check ins that the President handled and I took advantage of a lot of people leaving the track and my "all sessions" wrist band to run 3 consecutive sessions in very wet conditions.

I stuck the videos up for my own memory than anything else.

The dry session was basically me topping the car off with gasoline, and then driving it until it was out of gasoline!

Easter eggs - there is a caution for Canadian geese on the track, and later a debris flag for a box turtle on a curb

Then the wet sessions... not much happening other than slick conditions... but you see me pit when it goes checker, and then head back out with the next group. 😏

And a shorter couple... one with the carfinal sin of gas applied on a wet curb

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Mid O looks like a blast, how tough are the hills with getting down power?
The grip levels at Mid Ohio change day to day and hour to hour during the day. It is the hardest track to estimate how much is there and how much power it will take. The areas with elevation are difficult to get to full throttle at apex, whenever I can it means my entry speed was too slow. Very much a rhythm track for me. Racing it with 65 cars is much harder than lapping it in HPDE. Lots of targets ahead and behind to calculate trajectories and speed for. Fun.

TX
Here are some vids from this past weekend at COTA with SVRA & Trans Am:

Billy Griffin Qualifying session:
Billy Griffin's Trans Am Race:

Me in SVRA Group 10 Race Saturday:
Me in SVRA Group 10 Race Sunday:
Me & Dean Martin in SVRA Enduro Sunday:
Hey Jeff - curious if you can speak to the Cortex SLA at all? Any feedback on its improvement to the S550 chassis?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Man there are some nice tracks out there with picturesque backdrops. I wish I could just drive across country and try them all.
What car is this in the video?...it's not your 2011 GT....sounds like a DCT transmission.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Man there are some nice tracks out there with picturesque backdrops. I wish I could just drive across country and try them all.
What car is this in the video?...it's not your 2011 GT....sounds like a DCT transmission.
EDIT: GT500 I looked it up on youtube.

Finally got around to playing with my new Garmin, pretty handy device for overlay and data.
Picked up some nice Goodyear 3r's from a TMO member and very impressed with those, put about a dozen hard laps on those and worked down to a 1:34. Had some old R7's from 2019, and quite a few heat cycles on them, which cords stated to show the session I ran the best times. Optimal lap times were about a second faster, but I know I leave a lot of time out there, I tend to overdrive going into half the corners and the other half I brake to much, some day I'll learn how to drive.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
A 1:33 time is killing it, and folks wanting to know the lines at Motorsports Park Hastings should watch the second video as Reggie is spot on. If you are going to run NASA in August prior to the Mustang Roundup in September, these are great videos to watch , and for those just going to the round up here is your study guide.

Going through turn 3 right close to 90 is the magic number , and cool to see 12coboss right at the speed. Many say they go through there that fast but few do, so congrats!

A 1:33 time is killing it, and folks wanting to know the lines at Motorsports Park Hastings should watch the second video as Reggie is spot on. If you are going to run NASA in August prior to the Mustang Roundup in September, these are great videos to watch , and for those just going to the round up here is your study guide.

Going through turn 3 right close to 90 is the magic number , and cool to see 12coboss right at the speed. Many say they go through there that fast but few do, so congrats!
May have been 90 on exit, but it drops to mid 80's. Either way I was chasing it if you can't tell by my "woo" it was a puckered up moment. I feel I'm sawing the steering wheel way more than it looks from that view.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Fast and modest too ---very solid and quick run doing the Hastings Hustle! Most quick folks are running 1:35s and 1:34s and you just ran a 1:33. Sure, times will come down, but considering you have not run your car for quite awhile and you were on old Hoosier scabs, take a bow and know you set the mark for guys to run at the Mustang Roundup in September!

Here are a few laps of Palmer CW, 2011 GT, GY SC3R's. A little conservative and off pace.... was trying to learn a new more neutral suspension setup and Palmer is pretty unforgiving in terms of run-offs, climbed in my head a bit. Small catches at 1:20 and 11:00, start pushing a bit more around 6:00. Best on day was 1:53.01, this setup has several more seconds in it for sure. You can see all the smoke from the Canada fires, yuck.

Hey Jeff - curious if you can speak to the Cortex SLA at all? Any feedback on its improvement to the S550 chassis?
Kevin,

Apologies for the late response. Been slammed with my day job lately & haven't been on the Forums for a while. Our Cortex SLA is a little bit cobbled together, most of it is Cortex but the upper shock mounts/shock geometry are a mix of Griggs Racing junk from a previous builder. Rick at Cortex has been super helpful to us getting the kinks worked out to this point, most recently re-engineering the upper shock mounts for us that failed at our last race. We haven't had a chance to test since we installed the latest parts from Rick but I'm confident they will be an improvement. Between not having the "full" Cortex setup and our lack of testing I'm not sure I can give a good assessment of their SLA yet, can just speak to the positive help we have always gotten from Rick. From looking at your build on Youtube I can see you have a pretty radical build going, I'd call him and see what he recommends based on what your future track day or Racing plans are. Both Rick at Cortex and Dean at Kohr Motorsports have really been extremely helpful with our ongoing development with this car.

I think most everyone will tell you the geometry from the factory is really good. My advice for any one with a 550 chassis would be to emulate as much of the GT4 stuff as possible for suspension & Aero. If we would have had our GT4 to look at and learn from before we started modding our 2016 GT, we would have never gone down the build path we chose on a lot of things.

Hope this info helps.

Jeff

TMO Supporting Vendors