The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TRACK USE T-3160 FLUID AND CHANGE INTERVAL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Dripping Springs, Tx
The Mach1 owner manual provides reduced fluid change intervals for engine oil and differential fluid for track use; however, there is no mention of a track use change interval for the transmission fluid. The only mention of changing the transmission fluid is at the 150,000 mile mark in the normal maintenance section.

How often should the transmission fluid be changed under track use conditions?

Also, any guidance on the fluid brand/type?

Thanks,

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
You'll get a lot of varying opinions on this. My best advice is to use the same shortened timeline and apply it to the trans. For example, if the intervals for engine oil are reduced by half, do the same for trans.

Personally, I changed out the trans and diff fluids together in all the cars I track, which is about once a year with the amount of driving I do (8-10 days). Engine oil for me is every 4-5 days using a quality HTHS formula.

Utah
My car isn't nearly as nice as the Mach 1 (and it is an S197), but I am doing similar change times as recommended by APEX Wheels. I am doing about 2 days per event, 7 events per year. Rear axle every year, engine every 2 to 3 events (2 in summer) and being that I am running a MT-82, it gets changed twice a year, but I would consider doing your trans at least annually if the car is tracked regularly.

My guess is that Ford is calling for the Dual Clutch fluid? Being that the car is newer and likely under warranty, you might consider staying with the OEM fluid.

In the V6L
The Mach1 owner manual provides reduced fluid change intervals for engine oil and differential fluid for track use; however, there is no mention of a track use change interval for the transmission fluid. The only mention of changing the transmission fluid is at the 150,000 mile mark in the normal maintenance section.

How often should the transmission fluid be changed under track use conditions?

Also, any guidance on the fluid brand/type?

Thanks,
There are two answers to your question. First, change trans and diff fluids once the car's broken in. You'll be surprised by how much ground up metal and other stuff comes out in that first change after manufacturing. So do that change for hygiene's sake. After that, it's really up to you. I change my TR3160 fluid and diff fluid annually with Motorcraft fluids. Diff is the spec 75w-85 but I use Motorcraft DCTF fluid (MT82 fluid) in my TR3160 because it shifts better. If your gearbox shifts well with ATF, then stay with it.

TMO Supporting Vendors