The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TracKey instructions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teamsketch said:
Does any one know why they require the axel ratio and tire size for the install? Is this to correct the speedometer calculation or something better like track settings for the ABS?
The reason they require the tire size and gear ratio is because the track key is a tune program every tune program you install needs this info to correct the speedometer.

I just had mine done today April 2nd, after ordering the TK from Ford last week and I also have the message Track Key Engine Enabled and not the IDLE ENABLED that supposedly are the later ones. not sure I understand which message is the later or the latest one. (thread says the IDLE ENABLED is the latest and ENGINE ENABLED is the earliest) but mine is fresh and says ENGINE ENABLED.
strange anybody has a definite answer on this?

rom said:
I just had mine done today April 2nd, after ordering the TK from Ford last week and I also have the message Track Key Engine Enabled and not the IDLE ENABLED that supposedly are the later ones. not sure I understand which message is the later or the latest one. (thread says the IDLE ENABLED is the latest and ENGINE ENABLED is the earliest) but mine is fresh and says ENGINE ENABLED.

Are you meeting the needed conditions for Idle but not getting the chime or message at all?

rom said:
I think you have it backwards, wasn't the idle enabled from the very early cars?

Maybe I was wrong, I was going off memory but I usually just reach over and hit the button when it bings without looking.

Anyone else noticed that it isn't just the idle that changes? My exhaust doesn't pop on decel until the message comes up. Not sure I noticed anything else, there are other things I think I noticed but may be imagining. I am only sure about the pops because I let my gf drive it over the weekend and paid attention each time we swapped places and restarted the car.

ok! the answer for the 2 messages is actually in the dealer instructions!

My cluster says "TRACKEY IDLE ENABLED" but some cars say "TRACKEY ENGINE
ENABLED". What's the difference?
• Depending on the build date of the vehicle, the instrument cluster may display
one of those two messages once lopey idle mode is enabled. The TracKey
software and calibration is identical on all cars regardless of which of the two
messages is displayed.

-> depends on the build date of the CAR :) mine's early (march 2011) hence engine enabled.

I think Cali is correct and mine says Engine Enabled and was a June 2011 build date. Also from TK V.3 instructions:

"When all these conditions are
met, the instrument cluster will make a "ding" sound and the message center will display
"TRACKEY IDLE ENABLED". Depending on build date, some vehicles will display the
word ENGINE in place of the word IDLE. Like the "TRACKEY ACTIVE TRACK USE
ONLY" message, this message is also persistent and may be dismissed by pressing the
"RESET" button. Lopey idle will remain enabled until the next key cycle when all the
conditions are checked again. Note that removing the side exhaust block-off plates
results in a significantly more distinctive exhaust note when lopey idle mode is enabled."

can anyone advise if track key program overrides Sport Mode or do they work together when both are engaged? I just drove car for the first time with track key but did not have Sport Mode engaged. I did feel an improvement in throttle response but still less than with Black key in Sport mode only. Thanks!!

geneva said:
can anyone advise if track key program overrides Sport Mode or do they work together when both are engaged? I just drove car for the first time with track key but did not have Sport Mode engaged. I did feel an improvement in throttle response but still less than with Black key in Sport mode only. Thanks!!

Surprised no one else answered you, sorry for the delayed response.

Trackey does not effect the AdvancedTrac system. When you start the car with either key AdvancedTrac is on as normal and can be turned off entirely, turn off just traction control or put into Sport Mode.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Looks like there is a new version of the Dealer Technician PDF;

http://www.fordracingparts.com/trackey/include/TracKey_Dealer_Technician_Instructions_V2.0.pdf

Just a sent a copy to my dealer so their service guys can be ready when my car arrives.

ace72ace said:
Looks like there is a new version of the Dealer Technician PDF;

http://www.fordracingparts.com/trackey/include/TracKey_Dealer_Technician_Instructions_V2.0.pdf

Just a sent a copy to my dealer so their service guys can be ready when my car arrives.
I found this interesting.....

31) Reprogramming of the PCM is now complete, but it is often necessary to
relearn the misfire monitor neutral profile in order to eliminate false P0300
codes. To relearn the neutral profile, click the "ToolBox" tab as shown below:

Fortunately new owners shouldn't have the issue as long as they install TracKey. I did pick up a P0300 at Road America a couple weeks ago, but just the one time. I've had TK and the relearn done since last November and 8 track days with only the one occurrence.

yknot

Hobbies: Hot Rods & Shooting
I just got my Boss # 1225 on 06-25-12. I had them install the Track key software right away, and the version they installed was the 2.0. As part of the install, they also place a sticker on the back of the fuel door, saying 91 octane only.

Re: TracKey instructions - Small discrepancies in version 2.2 instructions for 2

Had the Track Key installed yesterday by Campbell Ford, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. No issue with it as I felt the lopey idle shortly after I drove off. On a 30 miles run (25 miles hwy), felt like back in 70's. Car shaking a bit, detonation, couple backfires when slowing down, just like the good old 70's. Yes, it does kick in very shortly after driving off and it will bling in display.

Now for discrepancy.

Dealer Instructions, para 27 and 30. PCM File name listed is for 2012. 2013 have different one. They had to contact Ford Perf to get that info. Ford plse take note and reissue instructions under version 2.3 with corrected info

2012 - (listed) CR3A-SEMABM-5BC

2013 (Not listed) DR3A-SEMABM-5BB

Pass the info to your tech if u r getting the key installed on 2013.

Had no problem with my install,the tech doing it has alot to do with it working right.The guy who did mine just finished tuning a GT 500 Super Snake,he said that was more of a problem than installing the Track key.I sugessted that my Boss probably was a little faster than the Super Snake,he just laughed and told me that the Super Snake was breaking the tires loose when he punched it at 60 mph.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel