The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

transferring fuel method

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

so, I was looking for a simple way to transfer fuel without having to hoist a 5 gallon jug over my head, so I came up with this.
I scrounged a returned battery at my local auto parts store, picked up a switch and a few eyelets, hose and clamps and created this..
RD5O6swl.jpg

I located some large nuts to use as weights to keep the hose in the fuel jug, if you can't prime the pump by having it (the pump) lower than the fuel jug you can throw some 2 cycle lube in the hose and it will pull prime that way. that is what is in the red container.
hffkAo8l.jpg

Here's the piece in action, it doesn't meet any safety spec so if you blow yourself up using it, that's on you, but I did isolate the switch as much as possible, and then simply epoxied it to the battery along with the plastic el cheapo fuel pump.
2oLVdKul.jpg

while on the subject of transferring fuel and blowing things up, I always keep a water extinguisher handy when fueling. these things can be found in salvage yards and other salvage places, you are looking for one with the shrader valve so that you can refill them yourself. ( if you can't find one with the Schrader valve, you will have to come up with some adaptors to backfill it through the valve by removing the hose)
I5PA529l.jpg

Add a little Cold Fire or AFFF foam to the mix and you have a very efficient way of extinguishing a fairly large fuel or common combustible fire, and preventing it from flashing back, (unlike a Co2 or Halon unit) it also doesn't leave a corrosive residue like a dry chem unit.
jTI1HXZl.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel