The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Transmission Repair - Chicagoland

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Chicago
First time posting

I have had since new a 2013 Boss 302 that I HSAX with MCSCC. The car is completely stock. I have spent years 'driving around' the lockout issues and missed shifts, but it is too bad to avoid now. This will be the first time in my life of having a transmission repaired and with this car, and I am nervous about who I have work on it and their ability to fix the nagging issues.

- Does anyone have suggestions for a reputable, experienced shop in the Chicagoland area?
- It seems from reading through the threads that Calimer is the best option. If this is the case, I could use some guidance on how/where to have a transmission removed/shipped/installed.
- Last question, any clear preferences with stock horsepower, high'ish RPM Roadrunner engine for a new clutch?

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help me out

Monaca Pa
First time posting

I have had since new a 2013 Boss 302 that I HSAX with MCSCC. The car is completely stock. I have spent years 'driving around' the lockout issues and missed shifts, but it is too bad to avoid now. This will be the first time in my life of having a transmission repaired and with this car, and I am nervous about who I have work on it and their ability to fix the nagging issues.

- Does anyone have suggestions for a reputable, experienced shop in the Chicagoland area?
- It seems from reading through the threads that Calimer is the best option. If this is the case, I could use some guidance on how/where to have a transmission removed/shipped/installed.
- Last question, any clear preferences with stock horsepower, high'ish RPM Roadrunner engine for a new clutch?

I know Ben Calimer has transmissions built already and you could buy his stage 1,2 or 3 kit and have it at the shop who ever will be taken it out. Then send back your core..

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Chicago
I know Ben Calimer has transmissions built already and you could buy his stage 1,2 or 3 kit and have it at the shop who ever will be taken it out. Then send back your core..
That's a great thought. If I can find a shop, I may just do that.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport

Exedy HyperSingle is very popular for track work. I have one and it works very well. Just don't ignore their break in requirements.

US
Option B- do it yourself- I just put the 3rd MT-82 into my '12 boss. Its not hard at all. But for your problems, you overall need to change the shifter, the clutch and -- sounds like, your trans. If I had to do it all over, Id move to a T-56 or something stronger. Because you need a differnt clutch and shifter and driveshaft for the T56 anyway. so stupid to buy it twice. Which is why im on trans 3. i changed the clutch and shifter to fix high rpm lock out. then trans broke. then it broke again. I am moving to a C8 Z06 whenever that gets here so Ill run this boss til then. However many mt-82's that is.
Im in barrington- and not many places I trust to do the work. That said, for this job- look up Mike Post. He is plenty capable to do this and trustworthy. dynotunemp.com

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Chicago
Option B- do it yourself- I just put the 3rd MT-82 into my '12 boss. Its not hard at all. But for your problems, you overall need to change the shifter, the clutch and -- sounds like, your trans. If I had to do it all over, Id move to a T-56 or something stronger. Because you need a differnt clutch and shifter and driveshaft for the T56 anyway. so stupid to buy it twice. Which is why im on trans 3. i changed the clutch and shifter to fix high rpm lock out. then trans broke. then it broke again. I am moving to a C8 Z06 whenever that gets here so Ill run this boss til then. However many mt-82's that is.
Im in barrington- and not many places I trust to do the work. That said, for this job- look up Mike Post. He is plenty capable to do this and trustworthy. dynotunemp.com
I had not really considered that, but you may have just led me down a better path. Calimer MT82 rebuild without a shifter looks like it starts at $2650 and a new T56 with a shifter at ~$3800, gives me some serious pause about where I was thinking.

Thanks for the recommendation on Mike Post. I will look him up.

I see there are some T-56 conversion kits (e.g. Lethal Performance). I could try to get all of the right parts myself, but my gut tells me to go with somewhere that has done it a few times (right bolts, right length driveshaft, etc...). Any opinions from your experience?

I had not really considered that, but you may have just led me down a better path. Calimer MT82 rebuild without a shifter looks like it starts at $2650 and a new T56 with a shifter at ~$3800, gives me some serious pause about where I was thinking.

Thanks for the recommendation on Mike Post. I will look him up.

I see there are some T-56 conversion kits (e.g. Lethal Performance). I could try to get all of the right parts myself, but my gut tells me to go with somewhere that has done it a few times (right bolts, right length driveshaft, etc...). Any opinions from your experience?

i wish i went with mike post for my 2017, but he never got back to me about a turbo kit…….he specializes in mustangs. my shelby tech at joe cotton does all my performance/drivetrain work. His attention to detail is amazing.

MCSCC-BOSS.......I would recommend upgrading and doing a conversion swap (Tremec T-56) as I am about to do here in July. I reached out to Joe Dederich at Dederich Motorsports (682)-231-3510 and had him set me up with what's best suited to my car and what I use it for. Joe is extremely knowledgeable and can walk you through everything step-by-step. If he has all the parts in stock (Driveshaft not likely) it can be at your doorstep fairly quick!

I am having to replace my transmission due to losing 4th gear on the track. I was very fortunate to drive the car home. What may have happened is a shift fork could have been broken or the blocker ring in the synchronizer failed all together. Nonetheless, I can use all other gears but 4th.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Chicago
MCSCC-BOSS.......I would recommend upgrading and doing a conversion swap (Tremec T-56) as I am about to do here in July. I reached out to Joe Dederich at Dederich Motorsports (682)-231-3510 and had him set me up with what's best suited to my car and what I use it for. Joe is extremely knowledgeable and can walk you through everything step-by-step. If he has all the parts in stock (Driveshaft not likely) it can be at your doorstep fairly quick!

I am having to replace my transmission due to losing 4th gear on the track. I was very fortunate to drive the car home. What may have happened is a shift fork could have been broken or the blocker ring in the synchronizer failed all together. Nonetheless, I can use all other gears but 4th.
Thanks for the recommendation. I am strongly leaning towards the T-56 swap, and recommendations for reliable suppliers is greatly appreciated.

Looks like this year I may be nursing the poor beast around until I can afford to do the job right.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel