The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Tri-Bar's Ride Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is just anecdotal and no data, but my rear axle seals used to leak with the stock brakes and stopped when I went to the GT500 setup. Cause and effect, I don't really know. The old seals might have just been worn out plus it should be noted I was new to track driving and using stability control a lot more back then. I don't have a catch-can but run the "turkey baster" on the top of the diff/pumpkin and sealed the vent on the axle tube. Dust shields removed. I use GLOC 12/8 front-rear or similar.

I remember being concerned about brake bias and the extra unsprung weight of the bigger rotors but I didn't notice any big differences. Mostly the car drove and stopped as before except my axle seals stopped leaking. Good luck.

I had no clue about the rear dust shield, thank you very much for that piece of information 67GTA.. too late for this weekend's track fun at Waterford Hills, but next time..

Virtual oil temp? i just spent $300 on hardware to plumb one in next to my setrab cooler.. when you say hot what is too hot? i've heard these coyotes get near 300F. All of these questions are priceless btw, and relate directly to my questions. I went with the track louvers on my mustang hood center and sides and its special how smooth and unbuffered it is at speed on the highway. What are you running for tires any questions about that?
I had no clue about the rear dust shield, thank you very much for that piece of information 67GTA.. too late for this weekend's track fun at Waterford Hills, but next time..

Virtual oil temp? i just spent $300 on hardware to plumb one in next to my setrab cooler.. when you say hot what is too hot? i've heard these coyotes get near 300F. All of these questions are priceless btw, and relate directly to my questions. I went with the track louvers on my mustang hood center and sides and its special how smooth and unbuffered it is at speed on the highway. What are you running for tires any questions about that?

In 13-14 cars the cluster has center LCD display with many functions including virtual gauges. There are only two gauges that move in sympathy to what the car is doing, meaningful to driving on track. CHT includes a scale, Oil Temp is only green yellow red. The oil temps are likely calculated and not actual observations. So for me “getting hot” is yellow and red IS hot. I don’t know if timing is pulled in red but I would guess it is.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel