The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Tri-Bar's Ride Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This may be silly, but for the first time in forever, I have all the right bolts it all the right places in the rear of the car. Outside of the anti-squat brackets, all the fasteners are factory. Found new upper sway bar bolts in a sealed bag this morning. I don't even remember buying them.

Update:

It's been awhile since I posted anything.
Drivers Mustang Club. Dec-18-22 at Button Willow Raceway Park. With a personal best time of 1:57.3 got me a 3rd place finish. I was running Kenny Brown K-Link, Upper control arm module, lower control arms and anti-squat brackets.

20221218_204225.jpg

20221221_051730.jpg

20220121_182708.jpg

Part#2
Drivers Mustang Club. Jan-28-22 at Button Willow Raceway Park. With a time of 1:57.4 got me a 3rd place finish. I was running a Panhard bar in the stock location, Multimatic upper control arm, Boss302S lower control arms and anti-squat brackets. With this setup I had a new Personal best of 1:56.7 in the Bonus round at the end of the day.
Weather being close to what it was in the Dec event the only things I changed was the Kenny Brown stuff and the rear spring rate of 250lbs. I'm not real sure what to make of this Myself but laps times don't lie.

20230123_114438.jpg

20230128_222430.jpg

20230130_070908.jpg

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
Part#2
Drivers Mustang Club. Jan-28-22 at Button Willow Raceway Park. With a time of 1:57.4 got me a 3rd place finish. I was running a Panhard bar in the stock location, Multimatic upper control arm, Boss302S lower control arms and anti-squat brackets. With this setup I had a new Personal best of 1:26.7 in the Bonus round at the end of the day.
Weather being close to what it was in the Dec event the only things I changed was the Kenny Brown stuff and the rear spring rate of 250lbs. I'm not real sure what to make of this Myself but laps times don't lie.

View attachment 83467

View attachment 83468

View attachment 83469
Good job dude! All the s197 are picking up some mighty pace recently.
What was your reasoning and experience with going back to the PHB?

Since the stock Boss 302S setup worked well I changed the rear control arm location to the factory pick up point. Now the car is setup up to be SCCA T-1 ready. I did a test drive and mashed on the loud peddle in a bend. The old girl stuck it just fine. Back end was planted under power. Will see at Big Willow on the 25th of Feb.

20230130_132420.jpg

Last edited:
Update time.
I would like to thank 67GTA for a fun weekend at WSIR. With all the Rain and snow that was going on, He made for a good day on and off the track. I have a lot of rain time on a road course but snow, Only in Rally. I tested out the New RE-71RS tires for the first time. 295-35-18 on an 11 inch wide Rim. The fit is very good with no side wall bulge, you would think it was a 305 size tire.
First session out with snow and rain, on brand new tires with mold release compound made for a slow drive. The best I could pull was a 2:24.8. The second session the sun came out and got a chance to break in the new tires. I was not disappointed. Pulled off a good 1:33.8 while still re learning the track after a 30+ year hiatuses.

Now for the fun part. Session three is where the fun really started. As 67GTA and I where sitting on the grid, It only got darker and started to rain, drops on the windshield. First couple of laps was just a sprinkling of rain then picked up and the session went on. 67GTA pulled off the track due to the Goodyear's R# lack of traction in the wet. The RE-71RS's that I was running never slowed down once the had a heat cycle on them. Turns 3 and 4 it started to snow again. My lap 8 was the fastest of the day in the rain/snow at 1:33.1 how ever by lap 9 it all changed. There was too much rain/snow in 3 and 4 the the RE-71RS's could not keep up with and started to get little slides out of the rear end and I knew it was only going to get worse.
I pulled in and my day was done.

The rear setup I ran in the rain/snow I feel I will keep. It was a good combo with the Tires. The RE-71RS tire so far are every thing that has been said about them. I had grip for days. The only reason I didn't get a better lap time was Me, not the car. I could smash the loud peddle before the apex, the car just stuck. I was happy for the first time in a long while with the feel of the car, turn in, mid and exit is where I wanted, needed it to be. I the drive was the one that was giving up time in places I know I could have been faster. The setup really was just the Kenny Brown AGS 4.0 rear grip kit. The front stayed Boss 302S all the way with the only change was the use of the Whiteline front sway bar set on 3nd stiffest hole.

20220503_121620.jpg

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Update time.
I would like to thank 67GTA for a fun weekend at WSIR. With all the Rain and snow that was going on, He made for a good day on and off the track. I have a lot of rain time on a road course but snow, Only in Rally. I tested out the New RE-71RS tires for the first time. 295-35-18 on an 11 inch wide Rim. The fit is very good with no side wall bulge, you would think it was a 305 size tire.
First session out with snow and rain, on brand new tires with mold release compound made for a slow drive. The best I could pull was a 2:24.8. The second session the sun came out and got a chance to break in the new tires. I was not disappointed. Pulled off a good 1:33.8 while still re learning the track after a 30+ year hiatuses.

Now for the fun part. Session three is where the fun really started. As 67GTA and I where sitting on the grid, It only got darker and started to rain, drops on the windshield. Firs couple of laps was just a sprinkling of rain then picked up and the session went on. 67GTA and to pull off the track due to the Goodyear's R# lack of traction in the wet. The RE-71RS's that I was running never slowed down once the had a heat cycle on them. Turns 3 and 4 it started to snow again. My lap 8 was the fastest of the day in the rain/snow at 1:33.1 how ever by lap 9 it all changed. There was too much rain/snow in 3 and 4 the the RE-71RS's could not keep up with and started to get little slides out of the rear end and I knew it was only going to get worse.

The rear setup I ran in the rain/snow I feel I will keep. It was a good combo with the Tires. The RE-71RS tire so far are every thing that has been said about them. I had grip for days. The only reason I didn't get a better lap time was Me, not the car. I could smash the loud peddle before the apex, the car just stuck. I was happy for the first time in a long while with the feel of the car, turn in, mid and exit is where I wanted, needed it to be. I the drive was the one that was giving up time in places I know I could have been faster. The setup really was just the Kenny Brown AGS 4.0 rear grip kit. The front stayed Boss 302S all the way with the only change was the use of the Whiteline front sway bar set on 3nd stiffest hole.

View attachment 84421
Low rear roll center....I love it.

Update time.

Now for the fun part. Session three is where the fun really started. As 67GTA and I where sitting on the grid, It only got darker and started to rain, drops on the windshield. Firs couple of laps was just a sprinkling of rain then picked up and the session went on. 67GTA and to pull off the track due to the Goodyear's R# lack of traction in the wet. The RE-71RS's that I was running never slowed down once the had a heat cycle on them. Turns 3 and 4 it started to snow again. My lap 8 was the fastest of the day in the rain/snow at 1:33.1 how ever by lap 9 it all changed. There was too much rain/snow in 3 and 4 the the RE-71RS's could not keep up with and started to get little slides out of the rear end and I knew it was only going to get worse.

View attachment 84421
Tri-bar, I just re-read the entire thread again, thanks for the testing and reporting. Question about your last comment that the front is 302S, did you leave the KB front grip kit on? It does move the roll center up correct?

Tri-bar, I just re-read the entire thread again, thanks for the testing and reporting. Question about your last comment that the front is 302S, did you leave the KB front grip kit on? It does move the roll center up correct?
Front grip kit is off the car....(for now). The Stock Boss 302S set up does move the roll center up using longer ball joints just like Kenny Brown .

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Front grip kit is off the car....(for now). The Stock Boss 302S set up does move the roll center up using longer ball joints just like Kenny Brown .
notice any difference between the KB front kit and Boss302 front kit?

OK got it, interesting detail about 302S longer ball joint gives the higher roll center similar to KB. KB K-member does provide added caster so that gives more camber gain on turn in. I am starting over with a stock '14 GT now that the Boss is gone. My first step will be Kenny Brown rear grip kit and JRZ's. Regarding the front grip kit, I am going to see what the first step gives me. On the Boss, I had rear grip kit plus H&R track spec which gave 630/515# spring rates using small 275 NT-01's. That combo scratched the HPDE itch so I will see where we go.

OK got it, interesting detail about 302S longer ball joint gives the higher roll center similar to KB. KB K-member does provide added caster so that gives more camber gain on turn in. I am starting over with a stock '14 GT now that the Boss is gone. My first step will be Kenny Brown rear grip kit and JRZ's. Regarding the front grip kit, I am going to see what the first step gives me. On the Boss, I had rear grip kit plus H&R track spec which gave 630/515# spring rates using small 275 NT-01's. That combo scratched the HPDE itch so I will see where we go.
The front grip kit give you about 9 to 9.5* of caster without changing the top plates. Grip wise, I can't really tell the difference between the two running them back to back. Stockish setup is 7 to 7.5* caster. and brake dive change is not that big of a things with heavier springs. IMHO.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Update:
Chuckwalla 3/18/23
Was a Good day for the most part. Managed a 3rd place for a track I have never been to. That was the good news, The bad? Well as it turns out coming off of turn 12 the little beastie just shut off. Coasted to a stop, dragged in by the safety crew right up to my trailer. The poor thing was DEAD!. no start/run just some chatter form the relay behind the dash.
Got it home sent the ECU off to ford, it comes back still no start. Ordered a new ECU and harness. Pulled the dash to replace the harness and that when I noticed the loom looked funny, soft spot in the harness about 9 inches from the back of the relay panel. I opened it up and the ground wires melted and came apart. I spliced it all back up. redid all the grounds in the car just in case. Fired it right up. Now, Ford re-flashed my ECU so My SCT is now unmarried to the new re-flash, no time to get that done. so a GT intake is now in place of the Boss302 one. The test dive was so good, the Boss intake may not go back on. 7000 RPM with better pull than before, the Ford Racing Calibration is pretty good it seems. but we'll see, the Event is this weekend at Las Vegas.

Also New look.

20230410_184135.jpg

UPDATE:
Las Vegas 4-15-23
Was a very fun day, Car was fast with the new changes. The GT intake may just stay on the car. Was the fastest Mustang at the track on Saturday. So much grip on corner exit I could just stand on the loud pedal. Has a mid corner push that showed up if I went in to fast on entry, made me drive it a little slower to get it around the slower turns. I going to drop the front spring 50 lbs. On the 4th session I managed a 1.57.7. That time would have taken first place.. Missed it by that much........Best of all, did it on the Stock Boss 302s suspension setup.
That being said. because of the handy cap system we use, I still managed a 2nd place finish.

Las Vegas.jpg

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors