The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

True rear coilover - daily ride and handling comparison

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
You can use the links to the suspension calculators from here: https://cortexracing.com/support/wheel-frequeny-calculator/
Note the different links for rear heave and bump, and the Suspension Leverage ratios are different for each. In heave (two-wheel bump) both springs work are compressed the same, independent of location. In single-wheel bump, you can picture the axle pivoting on the non-bump wheel - for a coilover, the bump-side spring applies all (or most) of its force and the non-bump side spring applies none; for stock perches, both springs contribute to the bump-side wheel rate but in different amounts per the leverage they have based on their locations.

All that said, I agree that most times proper damping has way more influence on ride quality.

Also just confirming, I had a chance to do a last track day at Palmer with the Cortex and 305/30/19 square setup and no rubbing in the rear, 50 mm offset LMR 19x11 wheels.
Off topic, but I will be running the same setup including +50 SVE wheels and wondering what size front spacer did you end up going with?

Off topic, but I will be running the same setup including +50 SVE wheels and wondering what size front spacer did you end up going with?
I use 25 mm front spacers. They seem about right for my original oem style front strut assembly but are bigger than necessary for the Cortex offset coilover setup. But I don't know exactly how much smaller you can go . I suspect about 15 mm spacer would be good but I haven't measured or tested. I need to research and follow up on this myself.

TMO Supporting Vendors