The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tying Boss down to trailer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lots of ways to skin this cat, but here’s what I do for my flatbed trailer.
http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/ makes very good products (and custom lengths too), so keep them in mind.

Front axle straps 97" long (custom ordered, $25 each). Over the A-arm, but under the tie rod, then forward. Being this long, the ends are in front of the splitter to make winch clevis hookup easy. Once on the trailer, I unhook from the winch and crisscross with ratchet straps to corner D-rings. Once crisscrossed, the axle strap D-rings and ratchet strap hooks are under the splitter.
20120531200641.jpg

Back—axle straps with Mac’s fleece sleeve protectors on 9.5” wheels (I got their “old logo” fleece for $5 each).
I converted the ratchet strap to a direct bolt-on snap hook because my rear D-ring is close to the back wheels. Since the D-rings are on the trailer edge, they pull slightly off center, but I’m hoping that doesn’t hurt anything.
This is a lot easier to do than axle straps around the differential—I’m getting too old (ok, too lazy) to crawl under the car on the trailer.
20120531201515.jpg

Also get their big duffle bag. It easily holds all your straps, and has some plastic panels in the walls for structure, allowing it to stand on its own.

In the future, I’ll look into raising the winch cable over a roller so its bumper height, allowing me to use the tow hook to pull the Boss onto the trailer. Then I’d also use axle straps thru the front wheels as well, and maybe add VersaTie track as an adjustable anchor. But getting the straps around the front A-arm isn’t too difficult.

drano38

Wayne
cloud9 said:
Definitely easier than feeding it around that axle and sway/panhard bars. 8)

Yep, the last guy who owned the trailer wasn't as lazy as me. ;D

Any other front options? I'm not comfortable with crossing using the front wheels due to the static and dynamic forces on the tie rod ends and rack. Crossing is necessary, but that generates the cross tension on the steering parts that might cause issues. I'm not comfortable with putting dynamic loads on the suspension mount points for A arms either. I guess I'm looking for a way to attach at the front to the unibody and either cross or chock to prevent sideward movement, but I don't see one.

Mike

drano38

Wayne
LindsayEOD said:
Hey Drano: Is there anyway you could show me a picture of what you did upfront? Im a little confused. Thanks man. I appreciate it.

I'll have the front wheel off in the next week or so, and can take a pick of the axle strap going around the A-arm. Its pretty simple, but writing it out is difficult. Around the A-arm, but the strap over the top of the A-arm drops down in front of it, and goes under the tie rod as it goes forward. Then across to the other trailer corner D-ring.

In the future, I plan to put etrack into the front floor board and I'll use axle straps thru the wheels (or maybe wheel straps per Ron above). But before I use that system I need to rig up a way to get my winch cable high enough to be level with my tow hook for getting the car onto the trailer w/out using the axle straps.

drano38 said:
LindsayEOD said:
Hey Drano: Is there anyway you could show me a picture of what you did upfront? Im a little confused. Thanks man. I appreciate it.

I'll have the front wheel off in the next week or so, and can take a pick of the axle strap going around the A-arm. Its pretty simple, but writing it out is difficult. Around the A-arm, but the strap over the top of the A-arm drops down in front of it, and goes under the tie rod as it goes forward. Then across to the other trailer corner D-ring.

In the future, I plan to put etrack into the front floor board and I'll use axle straps thru the wheels (or maybe wheel straps per Ron above). But before I use that system I need to rig up a way to get my winch cable high enough to be level with my tow hook for getting the car onto the trailer w/out using the axle straps.
Thanks man. A picture is worth a thousand words ;)

drano38

Wayne
I had the wheel off to do some brake duct work, so here's some clearer pics.
If you drive the front wheels up onto the trailer a ways to get the car off the ground, reaching behind the wheel is easier. I bring a D-ring from the front, under the A arm, wrap up around the back, under the tie rod, then forward. If you slowly ease the D-ring forward over the A arm, the D-ring will almost always fall under the tie rod, but check to make sure.
Once you get both D-rings to the front splitter, make sure the strap around the A arm is up towards the base of the A arm (not close to the hub), because crossing them will make it want to move in anyway, so better to start there to prevent slack when towing.

D-ring just forward of A arm, and going under tie rod
20120713191153.jpg

20120713191840.jpg

20120713191441.jpg

I use lasso straps and wratchets through the wheels. In the front, I line up the straps and wratchet binders in horizontal line with the d rings. I go through the wheel spoke and lasso the wheel and tire. I do not cross them and I make sure to pull them perfectly straight forward as I don't want to put any undo stress on the front end parts and possibly knock out the alignment. I have been doing this for 20 years with multiple track cars and have never had any issues.

http://www.awdirect.com/liftall-lasso-wheel-lift-strap-2quotw-x-12l-tuff-edge-xtreme-apv12/wheel-lift-straps/

bossontrailer.jpg

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
From experience and advice, I went with straps around the front wheels and crossing straps from rings mounted to either end of the axle.

I will never again strap to ANY sprung part of a vehicle.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
[/quote]Are you referring to the rings like FTB Racing sells? When you state straps around the front wheels do you mean through the wheels like Fastduo's photo?
[/quote]

I am not familiar with FTB's rings, but mine bolted to the shock mounts on the live axle.

Yes, straps through the front wheels just like fastduo showed. There really isn't any other place up front to tie the car down on an unsprung location. It's equally difficult with IRS cars.

Are you referring to the rings like FTB Racing sells? When you state straps around the front wheels do you mean through the wheels like Fastduo's photo?
[/quote]

I am not familiar with FTB's rings, but mine bolted to the shock mounts on the live axle.

Yes, straps through the front wheels just like fastduo showed. There really isn't any other place up front to tie the car down on an unsprung location. It's equally difficult with IRS cars.
[/quote]

Puffer fish ,Thats how I tie my Ls down to the enclosed trailer.The car was a pita getting in the trailer untill I installed your front tow hook. It is now very easy to align up and pull in.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Glad to hear the tow hook is making life easier ;D

I see the eyes you are talking about. Mine are a bit less "farm duty". I made 1/4" aluminum plates with a small hole to mount and a large hole to hook to. Wish it was that easy for the front.

TMO Supporting Vendors