The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Uneven Camber after spring install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hi, we have three Mustang in our club so far down here in Chile and we all have had the same problem. When we upgraded our springs or installed coil overs, we get unequel camber. For example, after I had the Cortex coilovers installed I had a max of -3.4 camber on one side and -2.2 on the other. I am assuming that it has been badly installed and I need to take it out and make sure the strut base or spring position is in the right position.... Does that make sense??

That may just occur due to the amount of drop. I believe after lowering my car the camber on one said was -1.1 and the other around -1.5 or a little more.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
When I had my P springs installed I had -1.7 on one side and -2.4 on the other. At the alinement shop the mechanic said he re-installed the spring and got both sides to a max of -2.4. Unfortunately I did not see what he did. Before the fix you could see that there was plenty of space on one side of the top nut of the camber plate but the suspension would touch and would not give any more camber. After the fix, the strut shaft on both sides where maxed out to the edge of the shock tower.

I guess I need to try reinstalling it myself to see whats up!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Looking at the MM caster plates that we all use down here, I think they are installed badly. They have a right and wrong side and that would make a big difference and what camber we would get.

Sounds like they didnt do an alignment after reinstallation... which is always recommended after lowering a car. But hopefully, they installed the CC plates correctly.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Mad Hatter:

After you confirm the MM Caster/Camber plates are installed correctly, you can also check the bottom strut mounting bolts to ensure they are torqued in the same position.

On my install, I noticed that I could pick up or loose a .01 to .03, (estimated), degrees of camber by pushing the strut in or out as i snugged up the lower mounting bolts prior to final torque.

There is a bit of play in the bottom mounting bolts that allow this, so make sure the struts are both pushed to the in position before final torque to maximize negative camber.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress,
Dave
302 Hi Pro

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well. One side was badly installed. Once the plate was flipped around can get upto -3.4 camber both sides :)

TMO Supporting Vendors