The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Upgrading 2006 GT to EPAS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm digging into my endurance racing project car and one of the first things I knew I needed to do is replace the leaking power steering pump. When I got under the car and did a detailed examination I noticed that the hydraulic steering rack has a bit of play in it on the driver's side, plus every boot was torn or loose, so I'm thinking I'm better off replacing the steering rack. This, plus the need to add a power steering system cooler and a new pump, would make the conversion to an EPAS system almost cost efficient!

Reading through several threads on here, it sounds like the ticket is to get the BOSS 302R rack (M-3200-EPAS) as that avoids the troublesome anti-nibble programming in the other versions. Then all I need is the "stimulator" from Cortex to get it to power on. Is it really that easy? Is there anything else I'm missing?

Thanks!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
That is what it sounds like. You should probably check with Cortex to make sure. I have the Boss 302r epas on my 2011, but it came with epas from the factory.

Rick at Cortex was quite helpful. In addition to the Boss 302R rack and their EPAS stimulator, the k-member needs to be changed because the 2005–2010s have only two holes for the rack, while the 2011+ k-members have the three holes needed for the EPAS rack. An OEM k-member from a 2011 thru 2014 Mustang will work, or several of the aftermarket ones will work as well.

Unfortunately, Cortex is out of the stimulators because a key supplier can't provide the chip they use. They're looking for alternate suppliers, but as of now they don't know when they'll have more stimulators for sale.

I'm trying to have the car ready for a June track day, so I think at this time I'm going to just replace the hydraulic components and save the EPAS upgrade for a later day.

Also, I found a very interesting link from a company called RaceCar Services. They make a wiring harness that lets you connect an EPAS rack into the CAN bus of a 2005–2010. This lets the rack access all the data on the bus that a simple stimulator doesn't provide, thus allowing the EPAS to provide variable assist. Something to think about in the future…

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Fort Worth
There's also the WC96240 harness. This youtube link goes through the install process:

I've also read that any 2012+ rack will work but won't be in Sport mode (you don't have a way to swap modes on an S197). The 302R rack is in sport mode. Can you drill a hole for the third opening in the EPAS or just leave the bolt out?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I’m in the middle of this process on my 06 as well. Unfortunately there are no new boss302s racks to be had at present. I bought a simulator and ordered a 2013-14 rack from a junk yard to get me by until the boss units are available again.

Steeda's website claims they have fewer than five in stock…

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I'd be surprised if they actually do have them....but its possible they had some stashed.
Ford currently has none.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Okay, good news and bad news...

First the bad news:
They only had one in stock and its gone.

Now for the good news:
It's gone because I bought it.

Thanks for the heads up....

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Okay, update.
I tested at Sonoma and so far the epas rack has been fine.
I will be racing at Thunderhill and Sonoma back to back and will pay more attention to the precise feel of the rack, but so far its been all good.
Stay tuned.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Okay, update.
I tested at Sonoma and so far the epas rack has been fine.
I will be racing at Thunderhill and Sonoma back to back and will pay more attention to the precise feel of the rack, but so far its been all good.
Stay tuned.
Just as an update, the boss 302r epas rack has been great, trouble free and the feel is very good. Worth the investment in my opinion.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Fort Worth
I went with a 2012 EPAS with the WireEverything harness and it's been a worthwhile upgrade. It's hard to describe the differences but you can definitely notice the improvement. I'd strongly recommend anyone who does this on an early S197 upgrade the alternator at the same time.

TMO Supporting Vendors