The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Upgrading Brembo pads to G-Loc. Do I need to clean/resurface the rotors?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-Loc says that using a their pad with used rotors requires the residue from the old pads to be completely removed from the rotors. Is brake cleaner enough or do I need to sand them? Or what? Specifically, how should I do this? Any help much appreciated.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I use a sander. I have a small DA with Velcro pads which cleans up the rotor in a few minutes. Depending on clearance, sander size, you may be able to sand the rotor while on the car. Put the sander in the space the caliper was in, sand then reinstall caliper.

Last edited:

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I use a sander. I have a small DA with Velcro pads which cleans up the rotor in a few minutes. Depending on clearance, sander size, you may be able to sand the rotor while on the car. Put the sander in the space the caliper was in, sand then reinstall caliper.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
G-Loc says that using a their pad with used rotors requires the residue from the old pads to be completely removed from the rotors. Is brake cleaner enough or do I need to sand them? Or what? Specifically, how should I do this? Any help much appreciated.
to be fair I use Gloc R10/R8 and my OEM pads on the same rotors for 2nd season don't know why this requirment is but the OEM rotors are not very expensive so I just don't bother when they are done they are done. Also my GLoc pads are wearing great.

Used 3 inch 80 grit disc on my drill. Worked great. Picked up an FTD yesterday and I think these pads had something to do with it. Clearly better than the stock Brembo pads which were still newish. Thanks, as usual, for the help!

TMO Supporting Vendors