The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Water Pumps and Serpentine Belts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
West
I am preparing to do a once over in preparation for my first HPDE. Car has 63K miles on it. On my list of "to do's" is coolant change. Is the FP water pump a worthwhile change at this time? Should I change coolant hoses (OE are currently on)? I plan on changing belt(s). Is there a preferred "better performer" for belts. Like the Gates HD that I run on my diesel truck. I have done a lot of searching and have not been able to find anything on serpentine belts. Since cooling is a large concern on these, I do not want to have my first time be a first session bust and spend the rest of the day as a spectator.

Yes, my to do list covers many, many other items that are far more important than a water pump and belts, but I wanted to ask about them because I came up so short on info regarding them. Any and all replies are appreciated.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Arizona
Coolant temps are not an issue with my car even in the summer here in Arizona. I just have the stock performance pack radiator and water pump. I have removed the stock oil cooler that uses a water/oil heat exchanger and put in a separate air/oil cooler which works better. Oil temps are more of the issue for me, coolant never has been.

I have OE Ford hoses on my car. As long as they are still pliable they should be fine. I have a Continental belt on my car right now, no issues. Stock was fine as well.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
West
Coolant temps are not an issue with my car even in the summer here in Arizona. I just have the stock performance pack radiator and water pump. I have removed the stock oil cooler that uses a water/oil heat exchanger and put in a separate air/oil cooler which works better. Oil temps are more of the issue for me, coolant never has been.

I have OE Ford hoses on my car. As long as they are still pliable they should be fine. I have a Continental belt on my car right now, no issues. Stock was fine as well.

OK, that is good to hear. Other than the FP PP2 my engine is stock. Looking at your build and experience I have no doubt that you can build more heat than I will be able to as I get started. Thanks for the reply!

Still open for further comments from those who have used these parts or have found better.

Last edited:

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
For your first HPDE look at your brakes and safety equipment. Is the fluid fresh? Dot4? Are the pads thicker than 50%? Tires over 50% tread? Does your helmet have the proper certification? Do you have an instructor lined up??
Spending money on anything else at this stage won't have much ROI. Mainly because the car has not indicated what it needs. Water pump and belts?? If the pump is not leaking and the belts look solid, save you money for now. Watch videos from other HPDE events at the track you are visiting. Use them to see the track and get oriented.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
West
For your first HPDE look at your brakes and safety equipment. Is the fluid fresh? Dot4? Are the pads thicker than 50%? Tires over 50% tread? Does your helmet have the proper certification? Do you have an instructor lined up??
Spending money on anything else at this stage won't have much ROI. Mainly because the car has not indicated what it needs. Water pump and belts?? If the pump is not leaking and the belts look solid, save you money for now. Watch videos from other HPDE events at the track you are visiting. Use them to see the track and get oriented.

Roger that! I am giving the car a once over and brakes are at the top. I used the car for two years for commute and business. Although I have done all of my own maintenance and mods from the start in the last three years, I have only put 11K on it and it is time to do a thorough once over. As I mentioned, I don't want to spend my first time as a spectator due to something that I could have taken care of with just a bit of attention.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
West
What year Mustang are you driving? Mods? If you could do a build thread, we could see where you are and it would make it easier to suggest improvements.

Running out for an appointment and will do when i get back to the home 20. Sorry for not doing so already.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
^^^This; and I would definitely replace all the fluid with DOT 4 fluid and bleed the brakes before every track day.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
West
^^^This; and I would definitely replace all the fluid with DOT 4 fluid and bleed the brakes before every track day.

I keep an 8.5 x11 on my desk that I now have 21 maintenance and installation items listed that will be completed before my first track day. The brakes are #1 priority.

TMO Supporting Vendors