The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Watson Racing Roll Bar for 2015+ S550 Mustang and GT350

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The ASM belts work fine and I haven't received any concerns with the track groups I run with. I recommend you call Schroth and talk to them directly.

Thanks guys. 06Mach1, how do you deal with there being no slots in the seat? Do you just do the ol' lay them over the front bolster and sit on them? Actually, I can PM you, but thought I'd post here in case anyone else was wondering.

DFW, TX
Thanks guys. 06Mach1, how do you deal with there being no slots in the seat? Do you just do the ol' lay them over the front bolster and sit on them? Actually, I can PM you, but thought I'd post here in case anyone else was wondering.
I sit on my two point Schroth sub belt , honestly you never notice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
You pull the tails of the sub belts through the gap between the seat bottom and seat back, and yes sit on the belts. This has been a SCCA accepted practice for a long time. Make sure you have the buckle up far enough so the lap belts cross your pelvic bones. You don’t want them too high over your abdomen or too low on your lap. The main function of the sub belts is to keep those lap belts down in proper position during an incident. I have needed them twice and am glad they were there and in correct position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! One more question for those with this roll-bar - Watson has their precut rear seat kit but it appears to use backer boards and in another thread or forum a member weighed it at 13 pounds. Southeast Carbon Works has this carpet-based RSD that looks to basically be a knockoff of the stock RSD, for $200, and weighs 2.5 pounds. Given that it's cheaper and weighs 10 pounds less than the boarded Watson kit, wouldn't that be a better route if I don't mind cutting the holes?
http://www.southeastcarbonworks.com...r-seat-delete-package-for-all-model-mustangs#

The Watson one appears to be a cut version of the Alterum RSD:
https://www.americanmuscle.com/rear-seat-delete-kit-2015.html?utm_content=Interior - Seats|Alterum&utm_campaign=AMM 2015 No Years&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&T5_Var3=blue&T5_Var4=388917&intl=0

Happy holidays!

Thanks guys! One more question for those with this roll-bar - Watson has their precut rear seat kit but it appears to use backer boards and in another thread or forum a member weighed it at 13 pounds. Southeast Carbon Works has this carpet-based RSD that looks to basically be a knockoff of the stock RSD, for $200, and weighs 2.5 pounds. Given that it's cheaper and weighs 10 pounds less than the boarded Watson kit, wouldn't that be a better route if I don't mind cutting the holes?
http://www.southeastcarbonworks.com...r-seat-delete-package-for-all-model-mustangs#

The Watson one appears to be a cut version of the Alterum RSD:
https://www.americanmuscle.com/rear-seat-delete-kit-2015.html?utm_content=Interior - Seats|Alterum&utm_campaign=AMM 2015 No Years&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&T5_Var3=blue&T5_Var4=388917&intl=0

Happy holidays!

I would get the Watson kit, it’s going to be better fit and finish and will add a little bit of sound barrier compared to the others. Much easier to live over time...

Monaca Pa
0E1DB1F9-3C1E-4EEF-920F-0DDAE8E1BCAF.jpeg I drove out to Watson and picked up my 4 point from Pittsburgh. I also bought Spartans 350R rear seat delete and picked up at same time in my wife’s Fusion. The tour of Watson’s shop was well worth it. Plus I met Fred. Plus was only about $70 in gas.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Watson 4 point going in the 350R this weekend. I picked up a second factory rear seat delete and all rear trim panels, so no cutting of the original panels.

Bar is in and looks great. I had the rear prepped last night. Wiring harness moved, bolts removed, seat delete and front seats out. It took us 4.5 hours to do the install today with 2 guys. Had to make a template for the down tide holes. All fit great. The last time I did a Watson bar it took over 12 hours. No lift, no help and ho heat in the shop. I learned the hard way. Lol I also installed the harness mounts at the same time. Perfect fit as usual.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Atlanta GA
Any 2020+ GT500 owners do this install? Anything significantly different about it? I’m wondering if spot welds and/or locations are different, or brake lines or other underneath clearance/access issues with the GT500 underbody diffusers / panels, etc.. Thx.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Any 2020+ GT500 owners do this install? Anything significantly different about it? I’m wondering if spot welds and/or locations are different, or brake lines or other underneath clearance/access issues with the GT500 underbody diffusers / panels, etc.. Thx.
CMS bar here, so only topside install, no drilling into the trunk pan. No differences from my 350. You will need to keep the rear belt latches (the part in the seats) plugged in to not throw a nuisance code. The rear belt reels can be removed without issue.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Atlanta GA
CMS bar here, so only topside install, no drilling into the trunk pan. No differences from my 350. You will need to keep the rear belt latches (the part in the seats) plugged in to not throw a nuisance code. The rear belt reels can be removed without issue.

I forget -- are the 350s only available w/ Recaros, or was there a power seat option? My base seats are power seats so I'm wondering what I'm going to need to do to not throw any codes.

TMO Supporting Vendors