The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Weight reduction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK, I know we have a 3600+ lb car so small weight savings take a while to add up. However, the relatively minor changes I've made (especially for track days) seem to have made an arguably significant dent.

Enkei PF01 wheels/Hoosier R6 295/315:
Front 60 street vs 45 - 15 lbs each x 2 = -30 lbs
Rear 58 street vs 49.2 - 9 lbs each x 2 = -18 lbs
Corsa Extreme axle backs (pair) 54 lbs stock vs 24 lbs = -30 lbs
Kooks Off-Road H-pipe 32 lbs stock vs 17 lbs = -15 lbs
Side pipe delete 5.5 lbs each = -11 lbs
Kooks LT headers vs stock manifolds = + 3lbs
Roll bar, mounts & harness bar +69 lbs.
Rear seat delete kit +12 lbs.
Remove rear seats and belts and factory mounts -54 lbs
Swap to the Tiger Hood -17 lbs
Remove washer bottle incl fluid -8 lbs
Remove flat repair kit -5 lbs
Sparco race seat 35lbs versus stock seat 46lbs = -11 lbs
302S tow hooks +2 lbs
FRPP air-to-oil cooler +8 lbs
1-pc DSS aluminum driveshaft vs stock -21 lbs
DS saftey loop +10 lbs
Trunk liner -7 lbs
Passenger seat -46 lbs (track only)
Watts link versus panhard bar +15 lbs
Rear axle weights -5 lbs
Battery relocation kit +25 lbs
Remove A/C condenser, compressor, lines and belt -21 lbs.

Total weight savings so far is 116 lbs with passenger seat and 162 without it.

With a curb weight of 3630, I'm at 3514 to 3468 with or without the passenger seat.

well, I weighted my battery. (picture me in my driveway, standing on our bathroom scale, holding a car battery...my wife walks out, sees me, and says: "here we go again")

the stock battery is right at 30lbs. not bad.

fuhrius said:
well, I weighted my battery. (picture me in my driveway, standing on our bathroom scale, holding a car battery...my wife walks out, sees me, and says: "here we go again")

Not bad at all. I saw it was listed as "lightweight battery" in the Boss specs. I guess they're right.

cloud9 said:
OK, I know we have a 3600+ lb car so small weight savings take a while to add up. However, the relatively minor changes I've made (especially for track days) seem to have made an arguably significant dent.

Enkei PF01 wheels/Nitto Tires:
Front 59 stock vs 42 - 17 lbs each x 2 = (34 lbs)
Rear 60.5 stock vs 47.5 - 13 lbs each x 2 = (26 lbs)
DBA 5000 front rotors 28 stock vs 20 - 8lbs each x 2 = (16 lbs)
Corsa Extreme axle backs (pair) 54 lbs stock vs 24 lbs = (30 lbs)
Roll bar, mounts & harness bar +69 lbs.
Rear seat delete kit +12 lbs.
Remove rear seats and belts and factory mounts (54 lbs)
Swap to the Tiger Hood (17 lbs)
Remove washer bottle incl fluid (8 lbs)
Remove flat repair kit (7 lbs)
Sparco race seat 35lbs versus stock seat 46lbs = (11 lbs)
302S tow hooks +2 lbs

Total weight savings so far is 120 lbs and 76 of that is rotating mass.

I could also pull the passenger seat on track days and drop another 46 lbs. I need to get it on a scale this year at the track.

Hey!!!

I noticed with great interest that you have installed the 302s tow loops.
Can you expand on how you mounted them & what type/where you sourced the attachment hardware???
Many Thanks!!

I bought them from Rehagen Racing. They welded the bracket Rehagen provided to the front bumper and made a bracket at the body shop to weld to the rear bumper. That's about all I know. If you our your installer needs more details I can connect you with the right person in my dealer's body shop.

cloud9 said:
fuhrius said:

Not bad at all. I saw it was listed as "lightweight battery" in the Boss specs. I guess they're right.

Does anyone have a Part Number for the correct Boss 302 battery? I had mine replaced under warranty due to a leak and they put 020F/BXT96R590 in it. It doesn't have the sight glass. Did they give me the wrong one? ???

Andy, the battery the owners guide is calling for is a BXT-96R-500 so you have the correct style but more cranking amps. The higher cold cranking amps may not be a bad thing but it is close to double so I would look into it further. Also it may not have the same characteristics as the the 500, like being lightweight.

Fat Boss said:
Thanks Scott. I'll have them swap it out for the correct one.

Looking back at this I mis-read the cranking amps on your battery as 950 not 590 so it is not double. Should be no problem there but again the battery may be designed differently and weight more so I would check into that.

Is there a consensus on the best wheel to reduce weight? If the stockers are 31 pounds, that seems pretty comparable to the majority of aftermarket options.

askjeffro said:
Is there a consensus on the best wheel to reduce weight? If the stockers are 31 pounds, that seems pretty comparable to the majority of aftermarket options.
I don't think there is a consensus, but there are several options that weigh much less than factory wheels. I run Enkei PF01s that weigh 20 lbs. I think roketman ordered Forgeline's that weigh like 18lbs and JScheier ordered D-Force lightweight wheels, but I'm not sure what those weigh. boss1 talked to CCW and they'll make whatever you want for about $1,000 more than Enkeis.

Anyone have the forgestar CF5's? Curious to what they think, I was thinking matte black or gunmetal on my SBY 302 would look sweet.
_1296144930.jpg

askjeffro said:
Anyone have the forgestar CF5's? Curious to what they think, I was thinking matte black or gunmetal on my SBY 302 would look sweet.
_1296144930.jpg
I don't have them but I've seen them in person and they are nice looking wheels. I almost bought a set of F14's and I've been to their factory in OC. The matte gunmetal in the photo would look sweet on your Boss. 8) Order them early because they can take up to two months to arrive. The stock high gloss black wheels will look just about as bad on your car as they do mine. ;)

I strongly dislike the factory wheels on the regular boss. They were part of the reason I was trying to get a LS. But since I couldn't find one before the end of the year at MSRP, I switched up to a regular Boss. My intent is likely to pull off the stockers and store them for the life of the car, but we'll see.

Oh, thanks about the tip to order early, I better get on that. Got to find a place to order from as I'm not sure the best place to get them would be. I think its either these or the Ford Racing equivalent of the LS wheels.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel