The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Weight reduction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK, I know we have a 3600+ lb car so small weight savings take a while to add up. However, the relatively minor changes I've made (especially for track days) seem to have made an arguably significant dent.

Enkei PF01 wheels/Hoosier R6 295/315:
Front 60 street vs 45 - 15 lbs each x 2 = -30 lbs
Rear 58 street vs 49.2 - 9 lbs each x 2 = -18 lbs
Corsa Extreme axle backs (pair) 54 lbs stock vs 24 lbs = -30 lbs
Kooks Off-Road H-pipe 32 lbs stock vs 17 lbs = -15 lbs
Side pipe delete 5.5 lbs each = -11 lbs
Kooks LT headers vs stock manifolds = + 3lbs
Roll bar, mounts & harness bar +69 lbs.
Rear seat delete kit +12 lbs.
Remove rear seats and belts and factory mounts -54 lbs
Swap to the Tiger Hood -17 lbs
Remove washer bottle incl fluid -8 lbs
Remove flat repair kit -5 lbs
Sparco race seat 35lbs versus stock seat 46lbs = -11 lbs
302S tow hooks +2 lbs
FRPP air-to-oil cooler +8 lbs
1-pc DSS aluminum driveshaft vs stock -21 lbs
DS saftey loop +10 lbs
Trunk liner -7 lbs
Passenger seat -46 lbs (track only)
Watts link versus panhard bar +15 lbs
Rear axle weights -5 lbs
Battery relocation kit +25 lbs
Remove A/C condenser, compressor, lines and belt -21 lbs.

Total weight savings so far is 116 lbs with passenger seat and 162 without it.

With a curb weight of 3630, I'm at 3514 to 3468 with or without the passenger seat.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
cloud9 said:
steveespo said:
Completed Steeda light weight radiator support. Stock part 21 lbs, Steeda part 7 lbs. 14 lb savings off of front end. Took 2 hours to swap with hand tools.
Steve.
What's the air-to-oil cooler weigh Steve? ;D

Gary, All
The FRRP air to oil cooler kit including brackets, hardware, adapter and hoses is 7.8 lbs. This doesn't include the weight of the additional oil that will be in the system.
Steve

steveespo said:
cloud9 said:
steveespo said:
Completed Steeda light weight radiator support. Stock part 21 lbs, Steeda part 7 lbs. 14 lb savings off of front end. Took 2 hours to swap with hand tools.
Steve.
What's the air-to-oil cooler weigh Steve? ;D

Gary, All
The FRRP air to oil cooler kit including brackets, hardware, adapter and hoses is 7.8 lbs. This doesn't include the weight of the additional oil that will be in the system.
Steve
Cool thanks. Also let me know how much oil. When they installed mine I had just recently done an oil change so they just replaced the small amount that leaked out at the filter, plus enough to fill the cooler so couldn't get a totally accurate read. I'm thinking maybe 1/2 quart which is less than a pound.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Gary
My car now takes 9 quarts 8 ounces to get to the top fill line. That is 24 more ounces than before. Not really a hard job and I only pulled the nose forward as far as the brake hoses would allow, removing and reinstalling the brake ducts and hoses is a pain in the ass. The quality of the Setrab is very nice and it's about the same size as the one in BMW 335i.
Steve

steveespo said:
Gary
My car now takes 9 quarts 8 ounces to get to the top fill line. That is 24 more ounces than before. Not really a hard job and I only pulled the nose forward as far as the brake hoses would allow, removing and reinstalling the brake ducts and hoses is a pain in the ass. The quality of the Setrab is very nice and it's about the same size as the one in BMW 335i.
Steve
Thanks. Will make the next oil change easier to gauge capacity. The extra 3/4 quart should provide additional cooling on its own.

Dig-It said:
Thanks guys - and thanks for the insights that you all provide. I can't wait to get it back on the track to enjoy the improvements.

Those wheels look great. Any chance you could try one of 10" rear wheels on the front of the car to see if they will fit?

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Got my Cool Tech roll bar Saturday morning so today I decided to reomve the rear seat, brackets and weigh everything. This is what I have come up with:
Roll bar and attaching hardware +62.8 lbs
Stock rear seat, seat brackets and belt bottoms: -34.8lbs
Rear seat delete kit from American Muscle +8lbs
Net gain +36lbs

I haven't started my Sparco seat and harness install yet bit I believe that that will be close to a zero offset as there are 3 more belts and the adapter platform and seat brackets are steel.
We'll see.
Steve

"Total weight savings so far is 105 lbs and 76 of that is rotating mass."
Cloud9
Great job. Not easy to find weight savings without cutting stuff up. Adding the safety stuff is a factor often ignored. By the way, I think you mean 76 pounds of unsprung weight rather than rotating mass (usually refers to mass of engine internal rotating parts). Granted tires, rotors do rotate, but the big effect is in getting unsprung weight down so the suspension reacts quicker. Sorry for the nit. Keep us posted on your latest.

Mike

BossDuke said:
"Total weight savings so far is 105 lbs and 76 of that is rotating mass."
Cloud9
Great job. Not easy to find weight savings without cutting stuff up. Adding the safety stuff is a factor often ignored. By the way, I think you mean 76 pounds of unsprung weight rather than rotating mass (usually refers to mass of engine internal rotating parts). Granted tires, rotors do rotate, but the big effect is in getting unsprung weight down so the suspension reacts quicker. Sorry for the nit. Keep us posted on your latest.

Mike

Quality first post, welcome to the forum

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Well, finally got my Cool Tech roll bar in +52lbs there was 10lbs of packaging! install was not too hard but the keyed connections need to be cleaned of powdercoat and filed 10/1000's to get them to fit together. Beautiful finish looks great in the car. To offset I changed wheels and tires from 302S/Pzeros in 255/285 to American Muscle/Pirelli Corsas in 255/285 for a net of -15.4 and my Corsa Sports from the GT 500 mufflers for a net -14.3. Also removed stock seat and installed delete kit net -26.8, Carbon decklid went on - 11.4. Total net after roll bar -15.9 lbs.
Not bad, heading to Lime Rock this AM, will post some pics and report in Track Time how it went.
Steve

That's great Steve. It's nice when you can add safety gear and still lose net weight. I wonder how much benefit there is to moving the battery to the back in the wheel well? I know you'd add a couple pounds of cable, but it would come from high on the front to low in the rear and may balance the car. Does they LS have the battery in the trunk?

Gary,

I think we should put all stock weights and aftermarket parts weights in the first post of this sticky. We could section it out into such things as exterior, interior, suspension, brakes, tires, etc. This would be extremely informative....

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Would it be that hard to make our Bosses a LS rear seat delete, Install the Brace and make it exactly like the LS?

PeteInCT said:
Need to change the springs...
And the shocks and sway bars...

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
I meant to have the rear seat delete like the LS, Not the whole car, I woulndt mind setting mine up without a Rear seat but Id want the Cross Brace with Boss on it.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel