The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Well, time to take the engine out again!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Make sure you check the frame horns, and look for any wrinkled paint in front of, and behind, the shock towers, that's a bad sign. do a lot of "X" measurements to make sure it's square. Probably first thing you should do is scale it before taking it apart.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
:( Ok, will be taking apart from thursday on. But we have definitly got the shock towers with lots more negative camber. The tower is tilted in about 4 degrees more then normal on one side...

I assume when you say scale you mean as in corner balance scales??

One of the ways to check for a bent frame is to scale the car and compare it to the numbers prior to the sudden stop., just do that as a general benchmark, most of the changes to cars are done on the scales for this reason, then you record those numbers and go racing.
But...it looks like you are definitely going to need a frame machine.

Well....bummer..

Ran in the rain.... and lost traction in the rain...
Found the guard rail in 4th at 90mph......at a 45 deg angle.

Any one selling a hood, two fenders, radiator and related
sundry items??...

Me? Not a scratch just a mangled ego.

Had to hurry so forgot to set up the camara, no in car video... worst part is now the sun came out...

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
Man, glad you are ok. Good luck on the parts.

One of the ways to check for a bent frame is to scale the car and compare it to the numbers prior to the sudden stop., just do that as a general benchmark, most of the changes to cars are done on the scales for this reason, then you record those numbers and go racing.
But...it looks like you are definitely going to need a frame machine.
I gotta ask. Scales? Growing up, way back in the day, my ran body shops. We had two frame machines at home too. Lots of cross measurements and no lasers or scales. So, am I thinking right on this, you are comparing the corner weights and not the total weight?

I gotta ask. Scales? Growing up, way back in the day, my ran body shops. We had two frame machines at home too. Lots of cross measurements and no lasers or scales. So, am I thinking right on this, you are comparing the corner weights and not the total weight?

As an example, you set the car up on scales for a particular track, or some baseline that you have, you write those numbers down.
You go to the track and you decide to make a change (this would be a spring change or something like that) So you put the car on the scales, so you can check your original numbers, then make the change and write down the new numbers.
You run the car and see what happens, if you like the way the car handles, you're done, if you don't, and you choose to make another spring change, it's back on the scale for a new set of numbers. If it doesn't improve, you can always go back to the baseline numbers.
All this does, is..if you whack something, you can throw it on the scales and get an idea of what might be bent. To fix it, it will need to go on the frame machine and that's where the measuring comes in, like you said.

TMO Supporting Vendors