The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What 5 speeds you running out there.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Utah
Want to know what 5 speed transmission you guys are running out there. Why a 5 speed you ask, because I have a 1965 and I don't want a huge trans tunnel on my car. I will have 600+HP and money is not really an issue unless it gets really up there. I'm looking at both oem type that is beefed up or a full race trans. Only problem with full race trans is none I have found come with any sort of overdrive. 5th gear is always 1:1. Would like an OD because this is not a 100% track car.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Want to know what 5 speed transmission you guys are running out there. Why a 5 speed you ask, because I have a 1965 and I don't want a huge trans tunnel on my car. I will have 600+HP and money is not really an issue unless it gets really up there. I'm looking at both oem type that is beefed up or a full race trans. Only problem with full race trans is none I have found come with any sort of overdrive. 5th gear is always 1:1. Would like an OD because this is not a 100% track car.
The recently released Tremec TKX was designed for exactly your list of wants:

https://www.tremec.com/menu.php?m=184

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Utah
I have a TKX in my car but haven't got it on track yet. So far so good.
Yeah the TKX is most likely going to be my first choice. Wanted to see what others say. I know you haven't have it on the track but how are you liking it how would you rate it compared to what you've driven in the past.

Food for thought, while the Tremec is probably the preferred trans, take a look at the Nash 5 Speed (It's now owned by someone else, just Google it) I've always been a fan of these since they were basically a Ford MK4 trans that Nash designed when he worked there.. The really, really , really cool thing about these is that 5th is not overdriven, it is direct, this removes the weakest link in the trans, the overdrive. Instead you can order different 1 to 4 gear sets to match what type of racing you are doing, and then run a 3.08 rear gear, which, again, does not get as hot as a 4.10 or whatever, The whole idea is brilliant really, but you will have issues getting into the stock tunnel..

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Yeah the TKX is most likely going to be my first choice. Wanted to see what others say. I know you haven't have it on the track but how are you liking it how would you rate it compared to what you've driven in the past.
There's a choice of three gearsets with the TKX. With 600 HP on tap, I suspect that either of the 2.87 low gearsets would be better. Depending on things like axle gearing and engine rpm range, the one with the 0.81 5th would probably be more useful on the track, where the one with the 0.68 5th would allow somewhat more relaxed cruising on the street.

I've been eyeing the 2.87/1.89/1.28/1.00/0.81 TKX as a replacement for the 3.38/2.00/1.32/1.00/0.68 TR3650 that came stock in my '08.

Norm

Last edited:
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
BTW, to take the Nash apart, you just unbolt the halves, and everything is right in front of you, what you'd expect a 7 liter Ford Mark4 to use.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Utah
As a follow up I have now run a couple autocross events and a few hundred miles of street driving. I'm really happy with the TKX.
Thanks, for the value and performance its definitely a option. If a few stocks come in I'm going to order a Hanlon Motorsports TR 3650 01-04 Stage 3 with the G Force gear set. I don't want dog cut but I want to be able to slam gears and not worry.

No one is planning on upgraded gear sets for the TKX yet. And some of the upgrades are good but the TKX will need another year or 2 before gears come out.

Thanks for the update. Let me know how it holds up when you get a few thousand on it.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel