The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What brake fluid flushing unit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've learned from reading here many of you are fastidious about changing your brake fluid. I guess that is something in all of my years I never thought about. So my question is what is a decent brake flushing kit for general use at home? I don't want a turd but I don't need a professional kit either. Just something to get rid of old fluid on all of my cars and make sure I have fresh stuff all around. Thanks...

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
I use a dedicated turkey baster to suck as much of the old fluid out of the reservoir as possible before refilling with fresh fluid. Then I have an old MityVac kit (circa 1990) to pull fluid from each caliper bleeder, starting furthest from the master cylinder. My old MityVac pump is metal and has a vacuum guage, which is handy to make sure I'm not pulling too much vacuum, which could cause cavitation and bubbles as the new fluid goes through a fitting. If I had to do it over, I'd probably go with a pressure bleeder like the Motive above.

Which ever way you do it, remember to keep checking the level of the fluid in the reservoir & top up as needed to avoid sucking air into the master cylinder.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Well Dave_W I still have my turkey baster but my Mityvac went to automotive tool heaven many years back. I used to do the same thing, but now I seem to often use the old tried and true method -- I pump the brakes and my son drains the fluid caliper to caliper, ha.

Lucky guy, the old Mityvac is a solid unit!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
My wife graciously pumps the brakes for me.
Right rear, left rear, right front, left front. Using fluids with different colors also helps insure you are getting fresh fluid.
Almost the same process for me. All except the “Gracious” part.

Motive bleeder also. I filled the tank the first time I used then stopped doing that. Now I top off the reservoir, cap with the bleeder, pressure (15 psi) and run it down halfway twice for each rear and 2/3 down for the fronts ( probably could do half but have 6 pistons and want to be safe. That uses about 2 qts for a full flush. It's a little bit of walking back and forth but saves cleaning. Make sure you do not forget to dump the pressure on the tank before removing. The first time I was dumb, forgot and had fluid everywhere.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I'm a hose in a pop bottle-brake pedal pumping kinna guy.
Takes two to do it but its as effective as any other method.

I've been using speed bleeders for several years (street and track days) and these have helped out with eliminating the multiple tightening and loosening of the brake bleeder. Still pumping the brake pedal to bleed, by my wife or my son.

I have used a vacuum suction device for years like below that utilizes an air compressor if you have one. Makes the job so easy and fast.

Recently I bought the Motive bleeder to take to the track. I just use it empty to push fluid out the bleeders then refill the MC as needed. It works nicely as well but requires me to reprime the container a few times so I still gravitate to my suction bleeder at home but both are great to have.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I can’t see my wife pumping my brakes while I bleed them :idontknow:
Hell, I can't even see my wife.....and don't miss her one bit.

TMO Supporting Vendors