The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What Class Is My Car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
TN
I’m new to autocross.
Car- 2012 Boss 302
Mods- Airaid CAI Lund Tuned to 93
Kooks headers
Magnaflow exhaust
Coilovers
& appropriate tires
Q: How should my ride be classified? When I register it asks for class designation & I just don’t know. Thanks in advance

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Going by the 2023 SCCA Solo2 rules, I'd say Classic American Muscle - Contemporary (CAM-C), as long as the tires have a treadwear rating of 200 or higher.

The other option for Mustangs with those mods is Street Touring U, but the Boss 302 (and Shelbys) are specifically excluded from STU in the Appendix A listing.

See if your local club has a novice/rookie class. Many local / regional clubs have a novice class for newbies - some let newbies run Novice for their first season, some until they win the class at an event. Usually the Novice class is "indexed" where run times are multiplied by a car class' PAX Index number to (hopefully) even out times when comparing across different classes. You usually register for the Novice/Rookie class, and use your car's "regular" class as a second "index" option. For the event, your class letters might by NCAMC for Novice class with a CAM-C index. But all of this varies by club, so ask the person who handles registration for your local club.

And remember to have fun!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Novice At Solo, haha ? Who knows as your Mods should put you in CAMC and that is the place to go as you might be eligible for ESP with Hoosiers - that class is quite small now. Go CAM and enjoy the camaraderie of all the crazy folks there ---- solid group of Coneheads running there!

Last edited:

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
The Boss was intially classed in A Street, but the non-Laguna Seca versions got moved down to F Street a few years ago. The 2012-13 Boss 302 Laguna Seca is still in A Street. You've got mods that are not legal for Street category, but maybe they figured for novices it's 90% driver and 10% car anyway, so close enough.

TMO Supporting Vendors