The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Swapped out the street pads, wheels, and tires for the track versions for a track day this Friday at Pocono. Bled brakes and also cut down the rear jounce bumpers by about 3/8". Checked suspension fasteners, bushings, etc.

Running North/South Option 3 which is similar to the usual SCCA Track Night (N/S Option 2) but with an extra "bulge" on the right.

Pocono North-South Option 3.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Although overcast it was a great day for a track day. About 55-60°.

Had two 30 minute stints and called it a day due to a leaking axle seal. I'm pretty sure it was due to overpressurization because of a clogged axle housing vent tube. It didn't leak any further on the 2-hr drive home.

Adding "check vent tube" to my track day checklist.

I'm guessing that even if the seal only leaked because of overpressurization that it should now be replaced. Is that correct?

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Ran autocross Saturday and Sunday, finished 4th and 2nd. More competition this year, 7 competitors over the season. Finished 3rd in CAM-C for the year. Will have to push a little harder next year. The winner this year drives a 2013 3.7L Mustang.

Last edited:
TMOers,

At long last, I installed a polyurethane insert in the transmission bushing. I cut a 1.5" hold in the horizontal web to minimize NVH. Why did I not do this sooner? Even toodling to work with 2,200 rpm shifts, the difference is impressive: no nibble in 1-2, 2-3 snick, 3-4 snick, snick, snick up and down the gears. The vibration in the stick is the same as before the insert. No vibration at any speed up to 70 mph, no buzziness in the cabin at idle, at start-up, or at any driving speeds. Pleasantly and very surprised by the results. Any cons, you might ask? There might be a tiny bit of boominess in the cabin now but, if it is there at all, it is minimal. And I might be hearing that bit of boominess now that I am listening for any difference in NVH.

Some Mustangs report having NVH issues with the insert in place (whole or with hole) so YMMV.

p/n: ES-41138G (Energy Suspension)

TLDR: If you're on the fence about a transmission bushing insert, don't be shy. You'll like the results.

Chris

Although overcast it was a great day for a track day. About 55-60°.

Had two 30 minute stints and called it a day due to a leaking axle seal. I'm pretty sure it was due to overpressurization because of a clogged axle housing vent tube. It didn't leak any further on the 2-hr drive home.

Adding "check vent tube" to my track day checklist.

I'm guessing that even if the seal only leaked because of overpressurization that it should now be replaced. Is that correct?
I hope it wasn't a seal. My first track weekend a couple years ago I thought I had a leaking seal. I only had oil on the driver side side inside the wheel barrel. Found out that it was the vent. Installed a JLT expansion can, upgraded to GB 75W140 and installed the finned Ford racing cover and luckily haven't had anything since. I see your build is pretty involved - maybe you already thought of all those things.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
I hope it wasn't a seal.
It doesn't seem to be the seals. There was no axle leakage during my Track Night on Thursday. There were lots of cars on the track so I only pushed it to 80-90% of usual, but so far so good. I bought the JLT tank last year but have yet to install it. I will be doing so soon while I'm replacing my rear UCA to adjust my pinion angle.

No finned cover, just the Ford Performance cover. I've used either RP or Amsoil (love the new soft bag) in 75W140. What's the advantage of BG over them or Redline?

It doesn't seem to be the seals. There was no axle leakage during my Track Night on Thursday. There were lots of cars on the track so I only pushed it to 80-90% of usual, but so far so good. I bought the JLT tank last year but have yet to install it. I will be doing so soon while I'm replacing my rear UCA to adjust my pinion angle.

No finned cover, just the Ford Performance cover. I've used either RP or Amsoil (love the new soft bag) in 75W140. What's the advantage of BG over them or Redline?
I went with BG because I saw people saying good things about, no additives needed to be added and OP has a kit set up ready for purchase, has been good to deal with and a vendor here so went BG. I try to support TMO vendors when I can. Here's the way I see it. @Ludachris has been very selective with TMO vendors. This is a forum of , I think, honest and very knowledgeable track guys. If there is an issue with a product or customer service it's going to come out somewhere here in a thread. HPDE or racing is a specialty market so the product flow is different than a box store and vendors would like to keep business and aquire new. Vendors really don't want negative feedback. From what I see vendors here use their own product or have used or tested products that they are selling. That's a huge help because I don't think many would sell something that they will not use for themselves.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Last week, out of the garage for first run since October. Oil change, flush brakes, check whole bunch a fasteners, put on the Falken's. Found a bad link on the rear sway bar. Took it off the link, I'll run with it disconnected. Three CAM-C entries and I snagged 1st place. Booted two cones on my fastest run 🤨, it was one second faster, ahhhhhh. Will wait for the next runs and see if some of the faster guys show up and see where I am. Not sure if I'm going to leave the sway bar disconnected. The link wasn't broken, yet, its the turnbuckle style and the LH thread side was jammed.7V0A5108a.jpg

GB899

NO REGRETS
Nebraska
it was kinda annoying... went to a charity fundraiser car show last Sunday... sky turned dark... and it went from hot to cool in about 10 seconds... then BIG rain drops... then hail... luckily not big enough for any damage... but it went on for about 20 minutes... yikes.. felt really bad for the hot rods and convertibles that didn't have tops... especially the T-bird parked next to me..
we survived hiding against a building using our chairs as hail shields... makes a fun memory when it was over

20230604_134928.jpg

Boy. bad weather like that sucks!!!!!!!!!!!...Is that a lite yellow 1968 442 parked next to that yellow roadster in the back of that pic?...maybe ...maybe not...front end makes it a little iffy to tell....could be a Chevelle, all tho I don't remember that color on a Chevelle.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors