The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Wheels Spacers and Ride Height Front to Rear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Spanish Fort, AL
Getting ready for a November track day; just finished putting on Cortex racing front coilovers with Koni Shocks (500#). Still have Koni Yellow adjustables and rear springs in stock location (250#). I've mounted some 305 Pirelli DH slicks on Apex EC-7 ET52 wheels in 18X11. A couple of related questions:

1) What spacer is needed with the offset Cortex struts - is 1" still recommended?
2) What are the ideal ride heights front to back? I'm running about 27" to the wheelwell lip with Falken 295/40-18 in the front; should the back be 1/2" higher?

Thanks in advance

Cortex instructions, see p. 8 for ride height and rake instructions. http://cortexracing.com/wp-content/...-1000_S197_Xtreme-Grip_Coilover_System_r0.pdf

I also have the Cortex Koni coilovers and use 1" spacer in front with 19x11 SVE, 50ET, 305/30/19 tires. It works well for me. I think but am not positive you could use a slightly smaller spacer depending if you have the increased offset option on your coilovers? I would call Cortex, they sell all various sizes of spacers.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
The wheel will fit with as little as a 5mm spacer. 305 DH aren’t that wide, just get them mounted and test fit for the clearance you are comfortable with.

for the front, I suggest trying close to stock like in the -1/2” to -1” range. Lower only if you have tall ball joints and the requisite bumpsteer, alignment, etc.

For the rear…depends if you have brackets. Most start at a -2” adjustment and that’s already a lot. With 250# springs and no bracket, I wouldn’t go much past -1”.

TMO Supporting Vendors