The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Wheels & Tires '20 GT PP1 w/ MagneRide

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
CT, USA
Hello All!

I've recently purchased a 2020 GT PP1 with MagneRide. I'm looking to purchase a separate set of wheels and tires for the track. Has anyone put Project 6GR ten spoke 19x11 front and 19x11.5 rear on their GT? I'm wanting to run Cup2s 295/35 front and 305/35 rear.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

TIA

GT.jpg

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
The go to track setup is square 305s all around. The Mustang wants to push as it is very nose heavy and going square helps deal with that issue. It is very difficult, almost impossible, to tune this push out if you run staggered. You will also save money in the long run because you can rotate your tires. Run the same wheel offsets all around with spacers on the front and they are rotatable.

To do this you need to install longer Arp wheel studs and get a set of 22-25mm spacers for the front. OPMustang.com carries these products and they know what Mustangs need. This is a tried and proven solution for the problem.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
PMCTECH

Welcome to the site.
What JDEE said. Go square. Our cars love to push with a staggered set up. A set of square wheels with spacers up front go a long way to helping our cars stop and turn. The savings had from rotating is a bonus.
I have a set of Apex wheels I took off you GT350r for sale if you are interested.

Bay Area
Welcome to TMO, get your wallet out because we are all good at helping spend OPM.

19x11 square is the way to go on the S550 models. IMHO Signature wheels are one of the best. T is great to work with. Hit him up @50Deep. If you are adamant about the staggered set up one of our members here @Bill Pemberton has a nice set of Signature Wheels for a smoking deal on here. But if you’re tracking the car seriously consider a square set up. I learned the long and expensive way.

There is a wheel vendor on here that has a great reputation as "wheel" and is very active on the forum and they can help you out as well. I'd look into both Signature and Apex for options. Although, Im sure you can tell which one I prefer. ;)

Now back to getting that wallet out. :p:p

Welcome!
Plenty of options Depends on your budget.
Probably one of the most famous and used wheel company is APEX. This is what I personally have.
U have flow formed or fully forged option. Light and lighter they are great options
Signature wheels is another great company. Generally more.expensive is however very customizable .
19x11 or 18x11 are the most common for our cars. Squared 305 or 315 and the car will thank you.
Buy wheels with the same offset so u can rotate them.
Feel free to ask more info if you need :)

Alessandro

20220213_094334_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited:
I know the question was about wheels but you will also really want a set of front camber plates. They help wheel fitment, reduce understeer, and make expensive tires last longer without just chewing up the outside shoulder. So you see, we are actually saving you money haha.

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
Camber is needed up front to run 11" wheels on the GT body to prevent the wheel/tire from sticking out a considerable amount. You can also run 11.5" out back, but again additional camber is desirable for the same reasons.

Personally, I don't like staggered setups for performance use on Mustangs. They're already nose heavy and push, no need to induce that mechanically through setup as well.

The popular, proven setup for an S550 GT on track is 19x11" ET52 all around with camber plates, longer studs, and 25mm spacers up front. Wrap them in a 295-305 tire of your choice and have at it. You can also run 19x11" ET26 front, 19x11" ET52 rear if you want a square tire stance, but don't want to do studs/spacers.

31708787287_6feb94d041_b.jpg
52308095222_79e5804c44_b.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
CT, USA
Camber is needed up front to run 11" wheels on the GT body to prevent the wheel/tire from sticking out a considerable amount. You can also run 11.5" out back, but again additional camber is desirable for the same reasons.

Personally, I don't like staggered setups for performance use on Mustangs. They're already nose heavy and push, no need to induce that mechanically through setup as well.

The popular, proven setup for an S550 GT on track is 19x11" ET52 all around with camber plates, longer studs, and 25mm spacers up front. Wrap them in a 295-305 tire of your choice and have at it. You can also run 19x11" ET26 front, 19x11" ET52 rear if you want a square tire stance, but don't want to do studs/spacers.

View attachment 84066
View attachment 84067
Thanks so much for the info. I’d rather not run spacers if I can help it. I like the idea of 19x11 square with 305/35 all around. Will I need to install adjustable camber plates to get the figment right?

can you help with finding the correct Apex wheels?

Apex Wheels

Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
Thanks so much for the info. I’d rather not run spacers if I can help it. I like the idea of 19x11 square with 305/35 all around. Will I need to install adjustable camber plates to get the figment right?

These would be the two combinations available, one with spacers and rotating, one without spacers but no rotating.

Pulled from my last post:
"The popular, proven setup for an S550 GT on track is 19x11" ET52 all around with camber plates, longer studs, and 25mm spacers up front. Wrap them in a 295-305 tire of your choice and have at it. You can also run 19x11" ET26 front, 19x11" ET52 rear if you want a square tire stance, but don't want to do studs/spacers."

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport

You need camber plates to get -3 degrees of camber to avoid destroying the outside edges of your tires in 1 day of lapping.

Your Mustang doesn't know if you are running a quality slip on spacer or a wheel with a different offset. Running the same wheel all around has several cost benefits. Plus spacers allow you to adjust track width which has additional benefits. If you ever damage a wheel, a spare is easy.

APEX wheels are extremely budget friendly, easily available and so common now. Light and very strong, designed and built for race track use. The issue with other wheels are the tiny pockets for lug nuts, which severely limits the use of proven racing lug nuts. Several of our Customers have moved to APEX's new forged wheel so if budget is a concern there are usually TMO members offering pre-track tested wheels at a discount.

@pmctech

Meet OP Tim
He has been a staple on this sight since it started out as boss302online about 13 years ago.
He is knowledgeable and sells only decent parts, some of which, he has made specifically for him.
He is a small, high quality, targeted parts source for track day guys.
You will not find a more knowledgeable parts guy.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
CT, USA
I know the question was about wheels but you will also really want a set of front camber plates. They help wheel fitment, reduce understeer, and make expensive tires last longer without just chewing up the outside shoulder. So you see, we are actually saving you money haha.
Is adjusting the front camber something that I can do myself or will I have to have it aligned?

Apex Wheels

Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
Is adjusting the front camber something that I can do myself or will I have to have it aligned?
The camber can be adjusted by yourself in the garage, but unless you have an angle gauge and a way to measure toe, it's best to get it aligned afterwards. Quality camber plates like Vorshlag (the only plates APEX recommends) are very easy to adjust on car and offer markings on the hat to show where you're at in the adjustment range.

The natural movement of McPherson strut front suspensions is for the toe to shift outward when negative camber is increased. Toe out is the number 1 cause of inner tire wear, not camber. And since most cars on the road use that overall suspension geometry, negative camber has gotten the bad rep for wearing out tires, even though it's the toe that does it.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
CT, USA
The camber can be adjusted by yourself in the garage, but unless you have an angle gauge and a way to measure toe, it's best to get it aligned afterwards. Quality camber plates like Vorshlag (the only plates APEX recommends) are very easy to adjust on car and offer markings on the hat to show where you're at in the adjustment range.

The natural movement of McPherson strut front suspensions is for the toe to shift outward when negative camber is increased. Toe out is the number 1 cause of inner tire wear, not camber. And since most cars on the road use that overall suspension geometry, negative camber has gotten the bad rep for wearing out tires, even though it's the toe that does it.
Thanks for the clarification - understood.

TMO Supporting Vendors