The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Why are automatics so popular these days?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manuals are getting harder to find now a days. When my Hon bought Her new BMW 6 spd a few yrs back, it had to be special ordered from across the pond.I enjoy shifting my Boss...I'm glad Ford only offered a manual with the Boss.....The new GT500 is just the opposite.....Among the many reasons for auto's....Lots of folks don't have a clue how to drive a stick or don't want to be bothered...lower manufacturing costs for car makers and now the newer 8/10 spd autos are faster than you can shift...but the fun factor of shifting can never be replaced.....IMHO......................................

we'll see if the new 10 speed gt500s are all that. Maybe they figured it out, but the ZL1, the Mustang gts and the vettes with the 10 speeds are all about 6 lap wonders, then they crap out, go into limp mode, over heat and generally crap the bed. When you can run an hour race with an automatic is when I'll consider them a viable alternative to a stick, and by that I mean a Tremec, they still aren't close to a sequential box or a Jericho.
Also the 10 speed in the Gt500 is basically a high tech Jericho, nothing earth shattering except the application of accumulated , already existing tech

TMO Supporting Vendors