The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Why this SCOTUS decision is important.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remember the SEMA posts I created with regards to tuners and the attempt by the EPA to prevent street cars from being turned into track cars?, This was to be addressed by the RPM act which failed in committee. It was basically EPA over reach, in other words, unelected bureaucrats creating laws. This is actually good news for us car guys and places environmental laws back into the hands of our representatives.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Columbia, TN
and dont forget this which is starting to look very likely!

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Columbia, TN
P.S. I was on the Austrian train system from Italy to Germany and then the German owned one. Broken A/C had to drop the train car made us late and only one toilet worked on the thing it was a 7hr train ride. The German train was fast and nice, when it was on time.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
If you and I own the car, what can the manufacturer say about what we do with our property? Is this EUROPE? Could be.
The argument is trying to protect intellectual property. You would be making an illegal modification to someone else's patents/intellectual property to profit from their original work. They'd likely go after the tuners and builders who do this for a living, not the little guy (at first).

That's my understanding anyways. Not saying I agree with it, but that's the argument.

The argument is trying to protect intellectual property. You would be making an illegal modification to someone else's patents/intellectual property to profit from their original work. They'd likely go after the tuners and builders who do this for a living, not the little guy (at first).

That's my understanding anyways. Not saying I agree with it, but that's the argument.
This is a true representation of their advocates’ (lobbyists and lawyers) position, but it is a nonsense argument. It shows what sway the big 3 and agribusiness have over govt more than it does a proper representation of IP law. Third parties manage to fix computer systems and jumbo jets and do software integrations without violating the core IP of the product OEMs every day.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
This is a true representation of their advocates’ (lobbyists and lawyers) position, but it is a nonsense argument. It shows what sway the big 3 and agribusiness have over govt more than it does a proper representation of IP law. Third parties manage to fix computer systems and jumbo jets and do software integrations without violating the core IP of the product OEMs every day.
I was actually thinking of computing software as an example when I wrote that!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Still, I can buy a software system from party A and have party B modify it. I then own all the problems associated with the changes.
I few years back a friend who was born in the UK and now lives in Germany went to VIR with me and road along with my instructor and saw the hobby up-close. He was amazed to see us modifying the manufacturers product/property without permission. So I told him this is America, we own shiznit. Well at least we used to.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Columbia, TN
I remember about a decade back when Apple tried to block consumers from jailbreaking their phones. They lost that case and the courts basically said the possessive pronoun "their" in the phrase "their phones" refers to the end consumer, the one who bought and out right owns the product, not Apple. Surprising how this "jailbreak" case doesn't hold precedence and we even have to submit the "Right to Repair Act".

TMO Supporting Vendors